Arckanum
Drudkh
Bathory
Raventale
Dark Tranquillity
Bolt Thrower
Nortt

hmmm

making this metal only to keep it simple..

1. Queensrÿche
2. Labyrinth
3. Rage
4. Darkseed
5. Running Wild
6. maudlin of the Well
7. Pagan's Mind
8. The Chasm
9. Zero Hour
10. Keldian

honourables: Dark, Grave Digger, Rhapsody, Lengsel, Dark at Dawn

Current list of the moment (not in any order):

1. Turisas
2. Moonsorrow
3. Emperor
4. Borknagar
5. Antiquus Scriptum
6. Hollenthon
7. Bishop of Hexen
8. Tvangeste
9. Negura Bunget
10. Thyrfing

Honorable mention: Kivimetsan Druidi, In Lingua Mortua, Falchion, Enid, Artefact, Windir

Rapture
At the Gates (early)
Burzum
Napalm Death
Vital Remains
Ablaze in Hatred
Enslaved (early)
Emperor
Agalloch
Katatonia (early)

Hmmm:

Metal:
Opeth
Judas Priest
Katatonia
Armored Saint
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Obituary
Corrosion of Conformity
Sepultura
Iced Earth

Overall:
Rush
Armored Saint
Van Halen
Judas Priest
and 6 others

These are all 'atm' favorite bands.

Current favorites in no order:

Alice In Chains
Discharge
Soundgarden
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Red Sparowes
Aphex Twin
Hooded Menace
Immolation
Orchid
Sacramentum

Not a whole lot of metal in there. Metal is the main genre I listen to but rarely do metal bands make my "favorite bands" list. Not sure why.

I feel you, ObscureInfinity. Metal is by far my favorite genre and I listen to it more than anything else, but it's rare to find bands that rise all the way to the top.

1. dredg
2. Pain of Salvation
3. Primordial
4. Agalloch
5. Slough Feg
6. The Chasm
7. Rilo Kiley
8. Our Lady Peace
9. Genelec & Memphis Reigns
10. Wu-Tang Clan

There are so many things wrong with this.

what i mean is the fact that they were relatively unknown is appealing to me but as they become more popular their songs just aren't as good anymore, first album was good, second album was good, third album was decent but not as good...and also i don't know why i'm justifying myself on a forum i rarely use

Bands...? Not "solo" artists? Fuckery.

Dream Theater
Ayreon
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Metallica
Symphony X
Burzum (Solo, but still a band name... kinda)
Pestilence
Spiral Architect
Testament
Judas Priest

I'm a huge Yngwie nut, so it was hard as hell to have to keep him off of here. He is still kinda a band though, I would definitely say, even though he writes all the music. If I could have used solo artists my list would have been completely different.

I feel you, ObscureInfinity. Metal is by far my favorite genre and I listen to it more than anything else, but it's rare to find bands that rise all the way to the top.

I think it's because most metal bands are inconsistent. I find myself praising one or two albums by a certain band and then writing off the rest of their material.

what i mean is the fact that they were relatively unknown is appealing to me but as they become more popular their songs just aren't as good anymore, first album was good, second album was good, third album was decent but not as good...and also i don't know why i'm justifying myself on a forum i rarely use

Yeah you simply stated it wrong. It sounded like you were saying that popularity made the music bad to you, rather than the popularity "is going to their heads" therefore making the music less personal and therefore not as good.

Bands...? Not "solo" artists? Fuckery.

Dream Theater
Ayreon
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Metallica
Symphony X
Burzum (Solo, but still a band name... kinda)
Pestilence
Spiral Architect
Testament
Judas Priest

I'm a huge Yngwie nut, so it was hard as hell to have to keep him off of here. He is still kinda a band though, I would definitely say, even though he writes all the music. If I could have used solo artists my list would have been completely different.
psh, put solo artists if you want.

although Satriani > Malmsteen, but whatever :cool:.