At The Gates - The Red In The Sky Is Ours
Molested - Blod-Draum
Demigod - Slumber Of Sullen Eyes
Dismember - Like An Everflowing Stream
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Tiamat - Sumerian Cry
Asphyx - The Rack
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum

Morpheus Descends is honestly not good enough to be on a best of OSDM list. They're kvlt and true for sure, but not that good.

Asphyx - The Rack
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse
At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Darkthrone - Soulside Journey
Unleashed - Shadows in the Deep
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Cemetary - An Evil Shade of Grey

Morpheus Descends is honestly not good enough to be on a best of OSDM list. They're kvlt and true for sure, but not that good.

I beg to differ. Chronicles Of The Shadowed Ones is one of the most killer things I've ever heard. The shitty production did such to the music to make the release incredible in my eyes. It's like Ownward to Golgotha recorded on a bus stop and I love it. If they had continued to record the second album in the same fashion as Ritual of Infinity I would totally agree with you. On a side note, Morpheus Descends has some of the best death metal drumming I've ever heard. And they're not that unknown, pretty much every death metal fan I know from New York has considerable knowledge of them. I actually know the drummer, but not on friendly terms :p

I beg to differ. Chronicles Of The Shadowed Ones is one of the most killer things I've ever heard. The shitty production did such to the music to make the release incredible in my eyes. It's like Ownward to Golgotha recorded on a bus stop and I love it. If they had continued to record the second album in the same fashion as Ritual of Infinity I would totally agree with you. On a side note, Morpheus Descends has some of the best death metal drumming I've ever heard. And they're not that unknown, pretty much every death metal fan I know from New York has considerable knowledge of them. I actually know the drummer, but not on friendly terms :p

Oh yeah well MY RIP OF CHRONICLES OF THE SHADOWED ONES IS FROM AN ORIGINAL COPY OF THE CD. So die! btw I find them to be quite good, but not suitable for my list imo.

I'm going to take a slightly different tack and go with my favorite albums of or in the style of the first couple of generations of death metal (I would not consider The Red in the Sky is Ours or Nespithe or, well, any of the albums listed by the first couple of posters to be 'old school' simply because those albums are far too advanced when viewed in relation to the genre's early history).

My picks (in no particular order)

Possessed Seven Churches
Sorcery bloodchilling tales
Deicide Deicide
Morbid Angel Altars of Madness
Sepultura Morbid Visions/Bestial Devastation
Celtic Frost To Mega Therion
Master Master
Mortuary Blackened Images
Mortem Decomposed by Possession
God Macabre The Winterlong

1. Amorphis - The Karelian Isthmus
2. Dismember - Like an Everflowing Stream
3. Demilich - Nespithe
4. Necrophibic - The Nocturnal Silence
5. Adramelech - Psychostasia
6. Incantation - Onward to Golgotha
7. Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
8. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick
9. Cadaver - In Pains
10. Sinister - Cross the Styx

As I always say when making such lists, I'm sure it would look a bit different on another day.

Oh yeah well MY RIP OF CHRONICLES OF THE SHADOWED ONES IS FROM AN ORIGINAL COPY OF THE CD. So die! btw I find them to be quite good, but not suitable for my list imo.

So is mine, one of my good friends and band mate has it. SO SUCK ON THAT! It's not too hard to find if you get to any metal club in Brooklyn. A lot of people I know gave money to Morpheus Descends to record Chronicles Of The Shadowed Ones and were never paid back :) You'll hear some funny stuff if you ask anyone in the NYDM/PDM legion/club (w/e they call it now) about that band. A lot people hold grudges...