Top 5 Metal Albums

affinityband said:
Akercocke- Words that go unspoken, deeds that go undone.
Emperor- Prometheus
Burst- Origo
Madder Mortem-Deadlands
Opeth-My Arms Your Hearse.
:headbang:

edit: illidurit... wth...

HaloPhenomenon said:
at the gates- slaughter of the soul (they collected 6 years of material to this masterpiece)

i really can't understand why people name this album a masterpiece. that title is reserved for red in the sky, if at the gates has a "masterpiece" at all

Prognostic said:
i really can't understand why people name this album a masterpiece. that title is reserved for red in the sky, if we're talking strictly about at the gates

red in the sky isnt worthy of a top 5 metal spot either. why even bother comparing albums?

NineFeetUnderground said:
not really. hes pretty much right.

besides...i have heard them all. :p

Well alot of people, like myself, got into music during the 90's and for alot of people the albums they put on their "best" albums list may have alot to do with getting them into metal or are just special for other reasons. :)

Thats how it is with me and my choices of Pantera and Metallica, two really defining bands in my musical history and progression.

It would be interesting to know what albums of the 90's you would consider being the best.

"Prognostic
Jiggachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloPhenomenon
at the gates- slaughter of the soul (they collected 6 years of material to this masterpiece)

i really can't understand why people name this album a masterpiece. that title is reserved for red in the sky, if at the gates has a "masterpiece" at all
__________________"

ok... but pleeeeease be constructive if you are going to disagree, it is annoying when people bash subjektive opinnions simply saying: "no it is not"...
for me the album is awesome,
besides the producing on "the red in the sky is ours" sucks... if you are going to compare...

It cracks me up when i see any Venom album in a "greatest" list. When I was 12 years old (19 years ago) and used to read reviews and metal music magazines, virtually EVERY writer said that Venom were awful drivel, how they couldn't even play their instruments properly and were worthless live. These were the same people who lauded upcoming metal (MoP, RIB etc) that was to be considered classic in these times.

Oh how times have changed.

Yeah, true.
But were journalists back then worth listening to? I certainly don't trust modern journalists. Hammer gave 'Take A Look In The Mirror' by Korn 8/10.

:erk:

And don't even get me started on the Mithras incident. Terrorizer shan't be trusted again...

Keith! said:
Well alot of people, like myself, got into music during the 90's and for alot of people the albums they put on their "best" albums list may have alot to do with getting them into metal or are just special for other reasons. :)

Very true. I put 'Symphonies of Sickness' and 'Clandestine' in my list cause I grew up with them, they'll always be absolute classics to me.. If I think about it I can come up with plenty of metal albums that are 'better' than them. But they stay in my list.

korn > riverside

riverside are pretty much rediculously overrated, especially by people here, but i didnt think you had it in you to go that far

kendoji said:
Very true. I put 'Symphonies of Sickness' and 'Clandestine' in my list cause I grew up with them, they'll always be absolute classics to me.. If I think about it I can come up with plenty of metal albums that are 'better' than them. But they stay in my list.

Yeah, that is so true. A maturing taste is way overrated. It's like how i used to listen to Taproot when first beginning to listen more to music, and now whenever someone asks me to list what i consider the top 5 i put it down instantly.

HaloPhenomenon said:
"Prognostic
Jiggachu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloPhenomenon

__________________"

ok... but pleeeeease be constructive if you are going to disagree, it is annoying when people bash subjektive opinnions simply saying: "no it is not"...
for me the album is awesome,
besides the producing on "the red in the sky is ours" sucks... if you are going to compare...

the production on red in the sky gives it a decaying feel which i think suits the music. as for the music itself...i could reiterate what everyone has said already (sots is grossly simplified, predictable, etc compared to red).

and why did you quote my personal info?

the_3_toed_sloth said:
Yeah, that is so true. A maturing taste is way overrated. It's like how i used to listen to Taproot when first beginning to listen more to music, and now whenever someone asks me to list what i consider the top 5 i put it down instantly.

yea exactly.. Its not neccesarily what you are currently listening to but what albums hold a special place in your heart for WHATEVER reason. For example Green day and AC DC (dookie & back in black) will always hold a special place in my heart seen as they were 2 of the first guitar driven albums I got into that really made me "listen" to music when I was a kid. I hardly ever listen to them these days but I will always name them as one of my altime favourite albums..

Nirvana nevermind is another really good example of this, I mean I bet for alot of people here, Nirvana would have been one of the first bands they seriously got into....

people like NFU need to remember this before laughing at someone for putting Metallica Black in their list for example:p

Benighted1 said:
yea exactly.. Its not neccesarily what you are currently listening to but what albums hold a special place in your heart for WHATEVER reason. For example Green day and AC DC (dookie & back in black) will always hold a special place in my heart seen as they were 2 of the first guitar driven albums I got into that really made me "listen" to music when I was a kid. I hardly ever listen to them these days but I will always name them as one of my altime favourite albums..

Nirvana nevermind is another really good example of this, I mean I bet for alot of people here, Nirvana would have been one of the first bands they seriously got into....

people like NFU need to remember this before laughing at someone for putting Metallica Black in their list for example:p

i dont think youre in any position to tell me i should do anything regarding music. nor did i laugh at anyone for metallica in the first place, please stfu.

i dont think youre in any position to tell me i should do anything regarding music. nor did i laugh at anyone for metallica in the first place, please stfu.

Well actually if your going to be perdantic....
It was Stole_my_bike under a different name who laughed at Keith's list below and Kieth questioned why he laughed and you said something along the lines of "he's pretty much right etc" (for laughing)
Maybe you weren't laughing about the Metallica one but I assumed it was for that choice..
So I guess you were agreeing but not actually laughing, either way:rolleyes:

Keith!'s list:-
1. Pantera - Vulger Display of Power
2. Pantera - Far Beyond Driven
3. Metallica - Black Album
4. Slayer - Reign in Blood
5. Megadeth - Rust in Peace

...The posts have been deleted now anyway by the mods which proves how retarded they were, hence my point so maybe its your turn to stfu :Smug: