Top albums of 2008

Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine
Jeff Loomis - Zero order phase
Testament - The formation of damnation
Iced Earth - The Crucible of Man (Something Wicked, Pt. 2)
Alice Cooper - Along came a spider
Pyramaze - Immortal
Communic - Payment Of Existence
Metal Church - This Present Wasteland
Warbreed - History Undone

Next month I will add "Black ice" of AC/DC :loco:

what's this?

totally forgot about the dillinger record too, amazing stuff.

The Fight - Into The Pit boxset was released by Rob Halford and is basically all three of Fight's releases remastered (the two main albums, War Of Words and A Small Deadly Space, were remixed too) in one boxset. Also included was a dvd of the first live performance of Fight in Phoenix.

The original albums are brilliant but the remasters breathe some new life into them.

the third one is that one with the remixes and live stuff?

I have that on tape somewhere, would be nice to have on CD. the contortion remix was great and freewheel burning live was great.

Neal: That is indeed an amazing EP, and such a collab needs to happen again. Granted I love Calculating and Miss Machine just as much.
at least bring him back for a guest spot/duet or something, i think the new guy greg even sounds a little pattonesqe
You'll like the new one, they expand on the melodic stuff even more, but there is of course really complex brutal stuff, and they delve a lot more into electronics and glitchy stuff this time around and different instrumentation like pianos and more keyboards.

The last two tracks on the album are better than most other entire albums that came out this year.
sounds fantastic, i shall soulseek it for immediate gratification!

the third one is that one with the remixes and live stuff?

I have that on tape somewhere, would be nice to have on CD. the contortion remix was great and freewheel burning live was great.

That is correct. Its called Mutations and for this collection it was only remastered so its pretty much just the same as the original. There's also a couple of bonus alternate remixes of War Of Words and Kill It on it but they're not as good as the original ones. I was hoping for the remix of Nailed To The Gun that was on the single but its not there unfortunately.

The boxset is pretty reasonably priced for what you get in it, so if you're a fan of Fight its definately well worth getting hold of.

K, its closer to the end of the year. All in all, the year started off slow with few notable albums, but then really picked up in the second half with some great releases.
Top 10 (in no order)

Darkestrah - The Great Silk Road
Darkspace - Dark III
Mar De Grises - Draining The Waterheart (this turned into a major grower, this is atmospheric doom)
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Gojira - The Way Of All Flesh
October Falls - The Womb of Primordial Nature
Velnias - Sovereign Nocturnal
Woods of Ypres - Woods III (Also a grower apparently, i hated it when it was released)
Obtest - Gyvybes Medis
The Faceless - Planetary Duality

Honorable Mentions
:

Niyaz - 9 Heavens
Mgla - Groza
Darkflight - Perfectly Calm
Arghoslent - Hornets of the Pogrom
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Unleashed - Hammer Battalion
Nachtmystium - Assassins

Probably missing a couple

ok, so im making a list of albums i discovered in 2008 ... knew a few of them way before but never gave them a profound listen ot so ... here we go:

efterklang - parades (2007)
pin-up went down - 2 unlimited (2008)
Max Richter - Memoryhouse (2002 or so)
opeth - watershed (2008)
Björk - Homogenic (1997)
Enslaved - Mardraum - Beyond the within (2000)
Black Bonzo - Lady of the Light (2004)
Ane Brun - Sketches (2008)
Philip Glass - Glassworks

Ayreon - 01011001
Amon Amarth - Twilight of the Thunder God
Sabaton - The Art of War
Into Eternity - The Incurable Tragedy
Warrel Dane - Praises to the War Machine
Kalmah - For The Revolution
Eluveitie - Slania
Children of Bodom - Blooddrunk
Catamenia - VIII: The Time Unchained