Torn, Evergrey at it's peak?

Evergrey... they are my religion! I've ordered the new album but haven't received it yet, and this waiting makes me mad! Though I haven't heard the album, I cannot believe that there is something wrong with it... but you know, different people, different tastes. To me, Evergrey is not only a band, but also a way of living, breathing, feeling... it is a strong emotion... I do not listen to their music, I live with it...

Evergrey... they are my religion! I've ordered the new album but haven't received it yet, and this waiting makes me mad! Though I haven't heard the album, I cannot believe that there is something wrong with it... but you know, different people, different tastes. To me, Evergrey is not only a band, but also a way of living, breathing, feeling... it is a strong emotion... I do not listen to their music, I live with it...

Well fucking said.

I've given it a fair few listens, and it hasn't grabbed me that much, apart from a few songs. Definitely hasn't grabbed me as much as MMA when I first heard that, or ISOT once I actually gave that a good listening to. Mind you, it took me YEARS to actually get into Evergrey.... :)

Mind you, it took me YEARS to actually get into Evergrey.... :)

Well... it took me years to find them, but the very first time I heard Evergrey's music, I fell in love with it. They just gave me what I was searching for, and they are still giving it to me. The rhythm is the beating of my heart; the lyrics are my unspoken thoughts... my truths. Fail caught my soul the very first seconds...
And yet ... I don't know if my understanding of Evergrey's music is true... I whish I knew what Evergrey feel and see, not just what I do!
I do not have a favorite album - just like a mother who doesn't have a favorite child.

There is something more... I don't think that one can say for a band that it is on its peak until the band is still creative. On their peak…Does it mean that they have never been as good as now, and that they will never be better than now? How do you know that next year they won't come up with something even greater? Yes, everybody may have a favorite album or may think that the latest is the best one by now… but I don’t think that Evergrey have ever been less perfect than they are now! What is more, I believe that Erergrey have many other peaks to conquer, because they just can do it!

----------------
Now playing: Evergrey - Different Worlds
via FoxyTunes

To answer the title of this thread, no. Not even close.

Torn is a very solid album which I have enjoyed quite a bit on each listen. It is without a doubt a BIG recovery from the dissapointment of Monday Morning Apocalypse. However, to say that it is of the same caliber as In Search of Truth or Recreation Day is just silly. The album uses little to no keyboards on a lot of the songs, and the album's lack of a complete ballad disappointed me.
Like I said, it is a very good album. I gave it an overall 85% rating when I reviewed it. It is, however, not nearly Evergrey's best work.

To answer the title of this thread, no. Not even close.

Torn is a very solid album which I have enjoyed quite a bit on each listen. It is without a doubt a BIG recovery from the dissapointment of Monday Morning Apocalypse. However, to say that it is of the same caliber as In Search of Truth or Recreation Day is just silly. The album uses little to no keyboards on a lot of the songs, and the album's lack of a complete ballad disappointed me.
Like I said, it is a very good album. I gave it an overall 85% rating when I reviewed it. It is, however, not nearly Evergrey's best work.

This is probably the most accurate summary of the album's quality I have seen yet.

Why can't people give the album a review on it's own merits instead of constantly comparing it to their other albums? Evergrey have yet to release two similar albums (which is a great thing in my opinion and no easy feat) which means comparing them is virtually pointless. People should stop comparing it to ISOT or Recreation Day, and just listen to it as the new Evergrey album.
Yes, there are less keyboard parts in it than previous releases, but that doesn't, and will not, stop me from enjoying what IS there.

I agree with DTJeff.

..but I can understand why some people are dissapointed, at least in terms of the music itself, but that's a question of taste, isn't it? If you expect a "back to the roots"-album..you won't get it. to be honest, I don't like it when a band concerves its style. I think development is an important thing! all of their albums are great, each one in a very own way..and that's great. there are three things you can always expect from an evergreyalbum; hearbreaking lyrics, highly emotional moments and stunning vocals and TORN does DEFINITLY deliver that.

Why can't people give the album a review on it's own merits instead of constantly comparing it to their other albums? Evergrey have yet to release two similar albums (which is a great thing in my opinion and no easy feat) which means comparing them is virtually pointless. People should stop comparing it to ISOT or Recreation Day, and just listen to it as the new Evergrey album.
Yes, there are less keyboard parts in it than previous releases, but that doesn't, and will not, stop me from enjoying what IS there.

Well those of us like myself who have enjoyed Evergrey for years now, we have come to expect things from Evergrey, such as good use of keyboards, and more diversity in song style than is present here. I am judging it as the new Evergrey album, and as the new Evergrey album, it is simply not as good as many of the older ones.
Like I said, I don't dislike the album, I like a lot of the songs a lot. It's just not amazing.

Well... it took me years to find them, but the very first time I heard Evergrey's music, I fell in love with it. They just gave me what I was searching for, and they are still giving it to me. The rhythm is the beating of my heart; the lyrics are my unspoken thoughts... my truths. Fail caught my soul the very first seconds...
And yet ... I don't know if my understanding of Evergrey's music is true... I whish I knew what Evergrey feel and see, not just what I do!
I do not have a favorite album - just like a mother who doesn't have a favorite child.

There is something more... I don't think that one can say for a band that it is on its peak until the band is still creative. On their peak…Does it mean that they have never been as good as now, and that they will never be better than now? How do you know that next year they won't come up with something even greater? Yes, everybody may have a favorite album or may think that the latest is the best one by now… but I don’t think that Evergrey have ever been less perfect than they are now! What is more, I believe that Erergrey have many other peaks to conquer, because they just can do it!

----------------
Now playing: Evergrey - Different Worlds
via FoxyTunes

You really put words to my thoughts you know:) tho,im not saynig they're at their peak in that sense of the word,im just expressing my feelings of joy,as i disliked MMA,not that its a bad album at all,it just didnt give me the evergrey feeling that i love,except for "still in the water" and "closure". offcourse,a band is never at its peak if their still making music:)

ps. also,the title "at its peak" was to hook readers a bit i suppose.

This may be their best album since In search of truth IMO. The less keyboards dont annoy me to say at least. The thing I was focusing on and expecting loads of was presence of Jari Kainulainen on bass there. And I think his presence is felt, such heaviness is here that even Nevermore wouldnt be ashamed of it! Jari didnt disappoint IMO.
I guess the guys wanted to show Jari's importance to the band and laid more importance on bass and guitars to proove it. The keys are still fine IMO. But the thing which makes this a great release is Jari. And cos of Jari I am going to buy it :)