Traditional Metal

Stumbled into this on my Bandcamp feed

Supposedly big influence from the band acid (Belgium) but I've never listened to them.

Reactions: CiG
Since no heavy/trad albums made my top 10 albums list, thought I'd drop my 2022 top 10 of the genre here. Unfortunately I don't listen to trad anywhere near as much as I used to.

Top 10 heavy/trad releases of 2022:

1. Savage Master - Those Who Hunt at Night
2. Satan - Earth Infernal
3. Saxon - Carpe diem
4. Sumerlands - Dreamkiller
5. Drifter - Demo 2021
6. Venator - Echoes from the Gutter
7. Scalare - Under Hells Dominion
8. Warhawk - Pray for War
9. Steel Inferno - Evil Reign
10. Mirror - The Day Bastard Leaders Die

I didn't include anything that crosses over with doom metal.

Don't know what it is about the new Savage Master album, I've been 50/50 on them since the start, but their new album kicked my arse. I relistened to it this arvo just to make sure I wasn't tripping and it kicked my arse yet again. Maybe it's because they set the tone for the whole album with that killer fuckin' opening track "Hunt at Night," but the whole album just sounds so massive. The drums are huge. The vocal mix is perfect, Stacey Savage is sounding more comfortable and mature, and the riffs are razor sharp. It's easily their best album to date imo.

anyone got any deep cuts from 2023 i should know about?

These are some promising bookmarks from a dive I did in July, I haven't gotten around to checking out these albums in full so idk if they're good.

(Don't know if this is good but I'm gonna give it a chance just for the premise - USPM themed around martial arts cinema)

his #1 is also easily in my top 5 of the year so far as well, i am familiar with most of these already but there's a few ill check out

edit: he's offensively low on tanith tho

Haven't heard the Triumpher, can't say my interest is immediately piqued when people make Manowar comparisons. But I'm giving it a listen and this is some Satan's Host-level screaming on the opening track, can see why you like it.

I wouldn't call that Smoulder album traditional, but it's fantastic. Went with a "speedier" direction and I think it kills.

The new Meutrieres is coming out next week so hopefully that's as good as their EP.

I'll have to check out the rest of their list, but Gatekeeper being up in the top5 is worrisome!

oh i don't like the first album much, was talking about the new one. still nothing special though so i'm not highly recommending it or anything

Reactions: rms