Train of Thought

Nah, they have to do one more album for their current label, Elektra, so we are guaranteed more great music. I wish they would tape one of this their shows on this tour and release it on DVD though, because they rock much more than than for example SFAM...

The one Metal friend I do have has been telling me for sometime to pick up Train Of Thought. I really was hesitant on picking it up but today I finally and I'm absolutly amazed. I cannot believe I posted just a few days ago I thought their music was "stale!" This album is absolutly incredible. I'm only on my second listen but I certainly do love it.

Chris Brooks said:
I'm not telling DT what to do or which direction to go in, but I sure am not enjoying their stuff like I used to and I hate to say that.

I see you at the JP forums a lot posting, I"m on the name Lella there. Just out of curiosity, what don't you like about the new DT albums that they did do in their previous? Well..besides tasty solos. Did you not like 6DOIT also? Thanx :)

Sure, it's not images & words, awake, change of seasons, falling into infinity, scenes from a memory, or 6doit, and quite frankly, I'm glad. I love DT for the fact that they put out something new with every album. They never duplicate their stuff. New metal? No Way! This music has much more depth and talent than new metal will ever have. I'll bet if Symphony X did a very heavy album based more on metal than prog, it would rock. When bands are as talented as DT and SyX, they can play any style and it rocks. Petrucci's shred is awesome. True, this is the most he's done on one album, but it really fits with the aggressive songs. The solo on "In the Name of God" is one of the best he's done in my opinion. If hope that SyX doesn't purely stick to the same old stuff. Odyssey was a perfect example. Romeo wanted to do something heavier, yet their style is still evident. TOT is not shit!

I just wanted to say to NegativeVolume that symphony x and dream theater are not the same band, so liking one without the other is perfectly plausable. I mean, by your logic i could say "how can you like evil russ vocals on king of terrors and not like cannibal corpse?" not exactly the same, but shit nonetheless. I hate dt as i have said many times, and i don't think it's fair to say you have to like both. I know that to some extent you were kidding, so don't take offense (i sure didn't), it's just that that has no basis.

Train of Thought is the best Dream Theater release since A Change of Seasons. I really disliked the "concept" stuff from the past 2 releases, and Falling Into Infinity was ok but songs like You Not Me were just plain lousy.

hey newbie here (please be gentle) - i'm a huge dream theater fan and only recently got into symphony x

train of thought is a good album, but not my favorite - i still think old school DT (images, awake) is the best. but i do appreciate dt's ever-changing sound, and dedication to progressive rock/metal...

This album to me is kinda like junkfood. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. It's fun to listen to while it really doesn't really offer anything that makes you say "whoa". I have to give them credit, they are evolving and changing their sound from album to album. Whether they are evolving in the right direction for their fans is another story. The only negative gripe I have about ToT is the blatent thrash influences. (read Metallica call outs)

I think its an very good album simply rocks its just different from what they had done before but still prog only in a different sound. ı like it but ı think theirold stuff is just better.changes are good in my opinion

People, it seems like ages I went to this place, but I guess I started to like it again :D.
Anyway, back to the subject.... I think Train of Thought is a great album. I enjoy listening to it. I've seen Dream Theater in January and they were absolutely GREAT! When the break came of 'Honor thy Father' I saw this huge head of Labrie on screen. That was scary :D

The Stormbringer said:
Yeah, James´ face bathed in red light was a really cool sight, also during the calm parts of "This Dying Soul".
I was there too, really one of the best concerts I've seen in my life! And TOT kicks ass! Kinda like the person on the previous page said, TOT is kickass metal, played by extremely good musicians.