TranquiLLity or tranquillity

NarkalepticNinja

satirical member
Feb 13, 2011
Behind Space
I just noticed this, but for some reason this find intrigues me and i would love answers please. On every album up to projector, Dark Tranquillity have always spelled their name on the front of the album "Dark TranquiLLity, but every album after that the name is just Dark Tranquillity. If anybody has any answers to why this is so, your feedback will be greatly appreciated. and who knows this could be another one of those 1000 things to know about DT in the future :lol:

Probably a reminder for the global English-speaking community to use two 'L's, in the British/global spelling, rather than the one 'L' in the American spelling.

For some reason on all the older CD versions it's spelled with one L when you downloaded it onto your computer onto iTunes, but on the iTunes Store, when you purchase it, you get two Ls. I don't know if the internet CD database via iTunes would correct that if I put in the Gallery or something in right now (I have the album booklets somewhere, maybe they spelled it with one L back in the day...).

I just noticed this, but for some reason this find intrigues me and i would love answers please. On every album up to projector, Dark Tranquillity have always spelled their name on the front of the album "Dark TranquiLLity, but every album after that the name is just Dark Tranquillity. If anybody has any answers to why this is so, your feedback will be greatly appreciated. and who knows this could be another one of those 1000 things to know about DT in the future :lol:

DT just changed the font used in the spelling of their name.
I would not call the 2L's caps on their older recordings, its just the type of font used.
BTW, I never saw tranquility with one L in anything official from the band.
As for the fonts, Nico aka Nt3N explained all if this in a thread way back when as I recall?

I don't mean this defensively like I'm trying to prove I didn't pirate anything, but what I mean is that their CDs, way back when, spelled it with one L. Now when you DL it over the interwebs, you get it with two.

Why this is the case, who knows. Obviously it's spelled with two Ls, the better question is why did the CD versions stick it with one L, thus interrupting your iPod if you were out all day doing stuff and on a DT kick (which I circumvented by making a playlist that plays their albums in chronological order).

The "LL" thing is just how the lower case "L" looks in the font used for the first 3 albums. This is the first time I've heard someone thinking that they actually were capital letters.

We've always spelled our band name the British English way - with two "L"'s - but it's impossible to avoid other parties (record labels, magazines, online stores, mp3 tag databases and whatnot) writing it in American English.

Caotico, long time no see :wave: I am sorry for the question but hey i did not know and the best way to get answers is to ask questions, at least that is the way i was taught. Thanks for the information guys, sorry if this thread was pointless but I got what i needed to know. Thanks again for the replies.

The "LL" thing is just how the lower case "L" looks in the font used for the first 3 albums. This is the first time I've heard someone thinking that they actually were capital letters.

We've always spelled our band name the British English way - with two "L"'s - but it's impossible to avoid other parties (record labels, magazines, online stores, mp3 tag databases and whatnot) writing it in American English.

British English is better ;) .

Haha. Amazing. Thanks man. You answered a mystery long noticed, but never voiced. I'll just adjust it on my playlist so it appears with 2 Ls, now that I know for sure that is how you guys intended.

Caotico, long time no see :wave: I am sorry for the question but hey i did not know and the best way to get answers is to ask questions, at least that is the way i was taught. Thanks for the information guys, sorry if this thread was pointless but I got what i needed to know. Thanks again for the replies.

Not pointless. It's kinda like... DT lore. I enjoyed it. =)