Trivium. Discuss.

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
I am not one to jump on bandwagons, but having recently heard Ascendancy, I gotta say these guys are great and extremely talented, especially given their age. Their tunes are well put together, have great leads (often twin-leads in the old Maiden style), and they are heavy as hell. I have heard a lot of shitslinging about them, but I don't understand why this is.

Whats the general thoughts about Trivium from Anthrax fans?

Yeah I know what you mean about all the little kiddies loving them.

What I like about them is that they aren't afraid to show their influences in their music. You can hear 80's Metallica in there, Maiden, and other stuff like Megadeth and Pantera. So in my opinion they can't go too far wrong.

timmyc said:

What I like about them is that they aren't afraid to show their influences in their music. You can hear 80's Metallica in there, Maiden, and other stuff like Megadeth and Pantera. So in my opinion they can't go too far wrong.

I read an interview last year with the vocalist where he said he didn't start listening to Maiden until just recently. I couldn't take them seriously after that. (I mean it.)

Speaking as an old school metalhead (is 29 old??? I suppose so....) and a guitar player of 10+ years, I think they kick major ass. It's the first band I've been truly excited about for a REALLY long time. Especially now that the lead singer is stepping back a little from the screamo-metalcore singing that I despise so much. I mean the lead singer was 19 when they released Ascendancy for god's sake!!! Kick ass drumming, sweet fast-riffs, blazing leads, and big vocals hooks----what the hell isn't there to like? Especially for anybody that was a fan of 80's and early 90's thrash? Musical preference is relative, but I think I have a good ear for talent, and the first time I heard these guys I knew they were going to be huge. The last year has proven me right. I'm looking forward to what is to come.

PS Oh and for bonus points, Dime's girlfriend Rita has really taken them under her wing. So much so that she lent two of Dime's guitars to the guys to play onstage when the cover Pantera live in concert. When asked why she's taken such a huge interest in the band, was because when she saw there live show, the last time she saw a crowd react that way was Pantera in 1992.

the musics good, killer solos. I have no gripes. After all, the die hards of Judas and Maiden didnt like Anthrax, Metallica or any others, said they were all rip offs. Its new and its gotta start somewhere....

I really liked it when I first heard it, then the songs kinda started dragging. I don't know...I think it's ok though.
If you like them you should check out Bullet For My Valentine -The Poison. Huge riffs and better songs than Trivium. Although you do catch them ripping off old Metallica and that Dimebag sqeal a lot.

I've only heard a couple of their songs, but I really like them. I like the riffs, the guitars, and even some of the vocals. I think they've got a pretty good future ahead of them if they continue to develop as musicians.

timmyc said:

i dont mean to be an ass but i didnt hear any of that when i herd em. maby i herd the wrong song ill give em another shot.

ingenkommentar said:
I don't like the hardcore-style vocals. But the music is OK.

that was one of the things that turned me off was the singing

I dig them a lot. Funny thing is, there are a lot of bands out there doing the same thing for a little longer than them.

Regardless, I had no idea that the singer was 20 at the time I met him. I mean, im 20, and after I found out, I felt like I had been slacking off way too much haha

Al Bundy said:
i dont mean to be an ass but i didnt hear any of that when i herd em. maby i herd the wrong song ill give em another shot.

Yeah give the whole record a go and I promise you'll hear plenty of it!

I first got into them back in either '03 or '04 after hearing Requiem off Ember to Inferno. I loved it because it was very thrash oriented and I wasn't listening to many bands that were doing the scream/sing thing. Also taking into account Matt Heafy was only 17 when he wrote the songs for ETI, I thought it was pretty damn impressive. Very shortly after that I found out they were coming to town to open for Iced Earth so I went and checked them out. I saw Matt hanging out before the show and appraoched him to tell him that I liked his music and he gave me a perplexed look and said "You know who we are?!" There couldn't have been more than 15 people paying attention to them while they were playing. It's funny to to think back on now.

As far as Ascendancy goes I like it a lot and still do, but as more time passes I prefer Ember to Inferno. Like I said, more thrash influenced and raw sounding. What's happening now is you're starting to see all the backlash from the hype they've been getting and over-saturation in the marketplace of bands that are all using the same formula. If you were to play Ember to Inferno for people who hate Trivium a few years ago they would probably love it. Their next album is going to be very pivotal for them. From interviews I've read it sounds like they want to silence all their critics and I think they can do it.

Here's an early clip of them if you want to see how they were before they broke:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-vhxrFu-nAs

And my pic:
matt.jpg

LouieFatterson said:
I first got into them back in either '03 or '04 after hearing Requiem off Ember to Inferno. I loved it because it was very thrash oriented and I wasn't listening to many bands that were doing the scream/sing thing. Also taking into account Matt Heafy was only 17 when he wrote the songs for ETI, I thought it was pretty damn impressive. Very shortly after that I found out they were coming to town to open for Iced Earth so I went and checked them out. I saw Matt hanging out before the show and appraoched him to tell him that I liked his music and he gave me a perplexed look and said "You know who we are?!" There couldn't have been more than 15 people paying attention to them while they were playing. It's funny to to think back on now.

As far as Ascendancy goes I like it a lot and still do, but as more time passes I prefer Ember to Inferno. Like I said, more thrash influenced and raw sounding. What's happening now is you're starting to see all the backlash from the hype they've been getting and over-saturation in the marketplace of bands that are all using the same formula. If you were to play Ember to Inferno for people who hate Trivium a few years ago they would probably love it. Their next album is going to be very pivotal for them. From interviews I've read it sounds like they want to silence all their critics and I think they can do it.

Here's an early clip of them if you want to see how they were before they broke:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-vhxrFu-nAs

And my pic:
matt.jpg

well, I guess Matt changed his guitar playing style A LOT since then. He plays it really low from his chest. That video has him playing it REALLY high.

yeah i dont hear anything special in trivium whatsover,to me they just seem so bog standard, like a lot of the stuff around at the mo,, they can play but they sound like every other new-ish metal band out there, its all too formula for me....

1) all wear black ....check
2) try to look mean, when you look 12.....check
3) sing like a lady, then growl a bit.......check

i forget the rest of the checklist :)

for a while i was afraid that i was being an old man, and starting the journey into only listening to the same albums for the rest of my life..........but then i realised they are just wank...................

but crikey moses they are huge right now