Truly messed up films

How about Jacobs Ladder? Maybe not that messed up compared to lots of newer movies, but quite influental (I think?) on the whole 'not knowing wtf is going' on genre. :p

I really like this film, apart from most of the dead son bits, which were way too much of a tacky sentimental feel. I'd say it's fairly messed up, in a less obvious way than most of the films posted so far.

I watched the fire extinguisher beating scene from Irreversible... geeze, that was intense.

I just watched this for the first time tonight, and I loved it. The migraine scenes were immensely disturbing.

Contrary to what I initially assumed, it seems to be a fairly accessible movie, despite being in black and white. The story wasn't hard to follow at all and you hardly need any knowledge of math to understand it.

There are actually lots of mathematical errors in the film, or so I've read. Nonetheless, it's a fantastic piece of low-budget intellectual cinema.

I completely agree. I'd also suggest some other Takashi Miike movies:

Gozu: This one is at least as disturbing as Visitor Q, but it's slower. Like Visitor Q, it sticks in your head forever.

Ichi the Killer: Rather the gory kind of disturbing, but great nevertheless.

Izo: It bored me to be honest, but it is fucked up.

And also, the "Box" segment of Three Extremes.

ichi is one of my favorite movies. the story its quite amazing, and the gore is awesome

miike can be hit or miss though.
~gR~

Haven't really looked through the thread but here are some good "obscure" movies:

Trainspotting
Requiem for a Dream
Pi
Session 9
Man Bites Dog(absolutely the funniest movie i've ever seen, but its also very twisted)