Truth about Opeth's albums

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8404614 said:
It just worries me that some people live their lives and believe that just because a webpage has a certain amount of angled opinions about something, that in itself becomes "fact".

That's scary, indeed. :err: Anyway thanks for the intervention, can't wait to see the reactions.

I was too...read better.

Okay because you were saying (at first) that some songs were disjointed - which I agree with - but some people before you seemed to say that it was a bad characteristic, and I just don't agree with that.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8404614 said:
Thanks man, but I'm not fishing for compliments.

It just worries me that some people live their lives and believe that just because a webpage has a certain amount of angled opinions about something, that in itself becomes "fact".

Wake up, it's the fucking web! Open the door, that's reality, not this shit. They've got people sucking off horses cocks as well, is that a norm because some like to watch that shit?

It wasn't an empty compliment. It's actually one of my favorite albums ever, like in a top 15 list at least for me, and I just wanted the opportunity to thank the guy behind it.

And I am indeed really grateful! Thanks again.

Usually when I post on a thread like this, the "backlash" is a lot of "Hello Mike" and compliments, which I love of course. But I was actually slightly concerned that some people here seemed to be a bit absorbed with the idea that their opinion is law.

Anyways, I'm off to bed I think.
Cheers guys and sorry if I'm harsh but well, I gotta defend myself a little.
Mike

Not to be a suck-up, but I've always thought the previous lyrics mentioned eg. "Will the children cry..." work quite well. But I'm not going to try and convert anyone with my 'infallible' opinion, unlike some people here.

there will always be people to fill any niche. there will always be tonnes of fans for bands like opeth. but of all the long-time opeth fans i've spoken to, they are not as satisfied with watershed as they are with previous releases.

i'm not going to say that we can statistically say this is a fact and this isn't a fact based on how many people agree or disagree with it, because that's an argument that can't be proven, but i bet i won't find many people disagreeing with me when i say, for example, that metallica started sucking after the black album. well, it's kind of the same thing for opeth right now, except opeth doesn't suck.

and because i know as always my posts are misconstrued: i love opeth, still life is one of my favorite records ever, but i really am disappointed with watershed, and i share this sentiment with a huge proportion of opeth fans.

greasyboat said:
there will always be people to fill any niche. there will always be tonnes of fans for bands like opeth. but of all the long-time opeth fans i've spoken to, they are not as satisfied with watershed as they are with previous releases.

Well I just said I was satisfied with Watershed :p

But seriously, its been said over and over again, its a matter of opinion. Its understandable why someone who's favorite Opeth album is MAYH or Delieverance wouldn't like Watershed. They are two completely different albums with completely different musical attributes. If you don't compare Watershed to your favorite Opeth album, and look at it as objectively as you can, you might see it in a different light. Fans have to realize that bands change and evolve. If Opeth didn't change, we would have 9 albums that all sounded like Orchid and we would have never gotten a progressive metal concept album like Still Life. Different people will like different things, but to go ahead and say something like, "True fans don't like Watershed" or "Most people hate Watershed" is just silly to say.

why would you assume my disappointment in watershed is due to some inability to accept opeth's evolution? that is a silly thing to say. i've been an opeth fan since still life, and i have been a huge fan of the changes they've been through since then. ironically, one of my reasons for my disappointment is that i feel watershed does not represent a musical progression, but rather, it's the same music with different packaging. im not going to rant here because that's been done to hell in other threads.

i don't think it's silly to place importance on the opinion of the majority. maybe i'm too democratic? anyways...

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8404651 said:
But I was actually slightly concerned that some people here seemed to be a bit absorbed with the idea that their opinion is law.

You just hit the spot. And seriously, thats what ticks me and off. I mean its ok to have an oppinion about something, but if people don't agree with you (wich is absolutely normal since people don't always share the same 'wave' of thoughts) doesn't mean you have to be dictatorial just to impose your oppinion..:eek:

why would you assume my disappointment in watershed is due to some inability to accept opeth's evolution? that is a silly thing to say. i've been an opeth fan since still life, and i have been a huge fan of the changes they've been through since then. ironically, one of my reasons for my disappointment is that i feel watershed does not represent a musical progression, but rather, it's the same music with different packaging. im not going to rant here because that's been done to hell in other threads.

i don't think it's silly to place importance on the opinion of the majority. maybe i'm too democratic? anyways...

I'm saying in general, it seems like most of the people who dislike Watershed can't come to terms with its difference from the earlier albums. I'm not quite sure how you can say Watershed doesn't represent a progression. Coil, Hessian Peel, Hex Omega, The Lotus Eater; none of those songs sound anything like anything Opeth has done in the past. I think Ghost Reveries stuck more to the past than Watershed does.

Watershed was met with critical acclaim from almost all reviewers. It seems like the only time you see Watershed getting bashed to shit is on this forum.

I'm saying in general, it seems like most of the people who dislike Watershed can't come to terms with its difference from the earlier albums. I'm not quite sure how you can say Watershed doesn't represent a progression. Coil, Hessian Peel, Hex Omega, The Lotus Eater; none of those songs sound anything like anything Opeth has done in the past. I think Ghost Reveries stuck more to the past than Watershed does.

Watershed was met with critical acclaim from almost all reviewers. It seems like the only time you see Watershed getting bashed to shit is on this forum.

what's so novel about coil? hessian peel, hex omega, and the lotus eater are, in my mind, average opeth tracks dressed in a very eclectic choice of influences. the songs seem very cut-and-paste in that regard. a bad-ass opeth riff interluded by a nintendo-esque keyboard jam just sounds weird and out of place to me, not like a progression of sound. i do agree that ghost reveries was not much of a progression from the older opeth sound, but i feel that watershed is even less of a progression. just compare the difference between morningrise and MAYH, MAYH and still life and so on. the progression is absolutely striking.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;8404651 said:
And I am indeed really grateful! Thanks again.

Usually when I post on a thread like this, the "backlash" is a lot of "Hello Mike" and compliments, which I love of course. But I was actually slightly concerned that some people here seemed to be a bit absorbed with the idea that their opinion is law.

Anyways, I'm off to bed I think.
Cheers guys and sorry if I'm harsh but well, I gotta defend myself a little.
Mike

Perfectly put, people need to respect other people's opinion, otherwise what's the use of this forum? and why the sudden increase in elitist cunts here?

PS - i love this forum! (esp as mikael can come to defend Opeth and own such noobs)

i'm not going to say that we can statistically say this is a fact and this isn't a fact based on how many people agree or disagree with it, because that's an argument that can't be proven, but i bet i won't find many people disagreeing with me when i say, for example, that metallica started sucking after the black album. well, it's kind of the same thing for opeth right now, except opeth doesn't suck.

and because i know as always my posts are misconstrued: i love opeth, still life is one of my favorite records ever, but i really am disappointed with watershed, and i share this sentiment with a huge proportion of opeth fans.

It's not about hating WS, it's about being disappointed.