TV Shows

J, based on some of your recent watches, give Black Sails a try.

Actually started watching this quite recently, or rather, I finally got my girlfriend to watch it with me, haha. On the last season now, and it's pretty good for sure, especially if you're interested in the era/pirates in general. It's definitely a bit cheesy, but it does its job.

Reactions: spikes77
What did you think of season five? I should really rewatch that one with one of the themes being the breakout down of news/reporting and how that is so much more apparent now more than ten years later.

I enjoyed it. At first, I thought the writers were really reaching with the serial killer shtick but it actually created some good subplot twists.

My knee-jerk reaction to how Omar went was to let out a big "Ugh" but, in truth, it was actually perfect. I liked how the series handled death, especially within the "game"/ghetto. In the end, Omar was just another dead gangbanger and nobody is bigger than the game. The gears of the streets keep turning like before.

I appreciated the reformation and character arc of Bubs. The grief he felt when the accident happened was palpable.

Dookie's end-path also hurt as I had a soft spot for his character but it was also perfect in it's sad depiction on how difficult it is to escape the environment you are brought up within. No matter your character, the odds are stacked against you and you're more than likely to end up as just another statistic.

The series' raw portrayal of the streets without, for the most part, glamorizing or overly dramatizing it was a breath of fresh air. That's not even going into the depiction of all the corruption within government agencies. Brilliant, complex, and interwoven storytelling by the writers. The directing was ground-breaking for the time as well. 5-Stars.

Top 3 favorite characters:

1. Omar
2. Bubbles
3. Bunk

My knee-jerk reaction to how Omar went was to let out a big "Ugh" but, in truth, it was actually perfect. I liked how the series handled death, especially within the "game"/ghetto. In the end, Omar was just another dead gangbanger and nobody is bigger than the game. The gears of the streets keep turning like before.

Agreed, that was certainly my initial reaction as well. He was clearly a character a lot of people empathized with--and going out like that seemed rough but was exactly what needed to happen especially how lucky he was to last that long. If not K, someone else would have taken him out, the mythology was crumbling right there on the street---

Dookie's end-path also hurt as I had a soft spot for his character but it was also perfect in it's sad depiction on how difficult it is to escape the environment you are brought up within. No matter your character, the odds are stacked against you and you're more than likely to end up as just another statistic.

Definitely, so much of the wire was that cyclic theme within quite a few of the storylines. Dookie being the new bubbles etc. etc. Also, can't help but love how cheese went out---love that scene.

The series' raw portrayal of the streets without, for the most part, glamorizing or overly dramatizing it was a breath of fresh air. That's not even going into the depiction of all the corruption within government agencies. Brilliant, complex, and interwoven storytelling by the writers. The directing was ground-breaking for the time as well. 5-Stars.

Can't argue with anything here, really set a high standard--so many great performances throughout the seasons as well (Dangelo, prop joe, stringer etc. etc) It's sad when I see these guys acting in absolute trash on TV every now and then- got to eat though ;)

Reactions: Krilons Resa
AAlso, can't help but love how cheese went out---love that scene.

Oh yeah...most def. That one caught me off guard too but it was comin'. I thought it was gonna be by the hands of our anti-hero Omar but nope.

Also, Snoop was a nasty, ruthless bitch who didn't give a fuck right up until her final moment. "How's my hair look?" LOL Grimy.

Finished Cobra Kai s3. Awesome ending that sets up the return of another Karate Kid antagonist.. Cant wait

Watched one episode of Falcon and winter Soldier, before moving on to s2 of American Gods on bootleg TV.

Ah come on, watch the whole gorram thing. Season 8 is worth it for The Bells, I don't care what the haters say. I cheered and headbanged for 15 minutes straight during that episode! Unlike everyone else who boohoo omg so sad I can't believe that waaah the next day.

Ah come on, watch the whole gorram thing. Season 8 is worth it for The Bells, I don't care what the haters say. I cheered and headbanged for 15 minutes straight during that episode! Unlike everyone else who boohoo omg so sad I can't believe that waaah the next day.

Maybe, I dont know why I give af tbh. Probably because I pissed away hours reading a series that this fat slob will never finish. Idk why tf I care more about the integrity of this franchise more than the author himself. I'll let ye know once I finish in 2024.

Spartacus>GoT (Banter in the former is unrivaled by any show not named Deadwood.)

you know, I never did finish Deadwood. it just kept slogging on and I gave up. And I love the actors in that show too. Couldn't get into it. Timothy Olyphant kills it in Justified though.

And yes, Spartacus and Vikings are eons better than GoT

Reactions: Reign in Acai