Two-Notes Torpedo.. to buy? Well lets test some shit to decide!

Second shot, using a Vox 2x12 cab w Electrovoice 65 speakers and a Royer R121 ribbon mic :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/Me...thrash_Megadave5150TorpedoTest_20120412v2.mp3

Djabthrash_Megadave5150TorpedoTest_20120412v2.jpg

Doctor Gay : sounds pretty good, but you did something on the 2bus right ? It sounds louder and much compressed than the flat stems provided.

that low end rumble is a ground frequency, I used x-noise to remove it. I need to get it fixed, the ground on the plug broke so I need a new power chord installed, but it sounds good!

So it was there and acting the same (the more off-centre the more rumble, less rumble when miked super close or far, but loud rumble when miked at "regular" distances) no matter what cab/mic i was using.

Even if you're gonna fix it, i was wondering what was the best way to handle this thing if you have to cope with it (no plug fixing possible) ... :

-use a plugin on your poweramp out DI to get rid of the rumble, and then send to the Torpedo miking (cab/mic/mic position) and treat it as if there was no rumble in the first place ?
-send your poweramp out DI without getting rid of the rumble to the Torpedo miking (cab/mic/mic position), and then remove the rumble with mic positioning/low-cut/EQ (like i did, but i had to set the low cut quite high to make it disappear (as far as 150hz) and was limited in terms of mic positioning to avoid the rumble, and even with the low cut that high the rumble was still slightly there (it was gone when going up to 200hz or something, but then i guess the guitars would lack lows/low mids...)) ?

Left the Load Compensation on in the Torpedo VB-101 btw (not sure if i was supposed to leave it, but it didn't sound better without it so i left it on (i use it with my own head)).

So after doing some tests and inquiring the whole thing, here are my conclusions :

-since you had a speaker connected to the head while tracking, i wasn't supposed to use the load compensation function when rerouting your poweramp DI track to the Torpedo (with powerampsim bypassed)
-the load compensation function only works (you can turn it off if you want though) when plugging an amp head (poweramp out -> torpedo speaker in) to the Torpedo directly (in which case the Torpedo loadbox is on), same as plugging an amp head to a cab directly)...
-... so since i was rerouting your powerampout DI to the Torpedo (powerampsim off) using SPDIF, the load compensation was bypassed regardless of if i turned it off or on in the Torpedo setup

So i had the load compensation off (turned on in the setup menu, but bypassed actually) when doing those remiking tracks.

Totally dig this one. I love how the U87 sounds on guitar cabs.... it needs some definite sculpting in the midrange but god damn I'd love to own one....

Same with the R-121...wish we still had ours.. sigh. AMAZING on GTR cabs and drum room. holy fuvkkkkkkkkkk

Thanks !

Care to give details about the midrange sculpting thing (what's working and what's not ? how would you change things (amp settings ? mic positioning ? post-eq ?) ?) ?

Dear all,

I don't want to interfere with your tests and stuff here, but if you have technical questions or samples you'd like to hear I stay around.

We work mainly with pro touring band/artists/productions/studios, that's why you may not find that much video and audio samples, anyway this is starting to change with the less expensive products that will arrive before summer in the US and Japan.

So at some point if you want a specific sound test, we can see what's possible. ;)

TRUIE : to answerer question, no nothing else was added other than the picture. i tried to keep the levels as close as acouldwith the guitars peaking at -13. if it is a few tenths of a db louder than it's just a common mistake. now compared to torpedo free, nebula is slightly darker, muffled if you will, so i turned up the mix eq to get it closer to torpedo pfree. but the compression you're hearing is probably nebula. you see, the mms package comes with .wav ir's without mix eq or locut for tracking, and they are identical to the sound of the nebula version without the mix eq or lo cut. except for of course, they are not dynamic and don't POP like overcompression sounds like, which nebula does so slayer!

yes

and you can do your own impulses with the Torpedo Capture software (that comes with all the VB-101 and such)
Thanks! The clips here are impressive, and if the software is versatile enough to capture or use other impulses, it's something I might need to consider. Does the plugin contain some of the same mic/cab combinations that the hardware has? If so, I might grab that to see if it gels with me, and look at grabbing the Live later on. I've been using a line out from a preamp section to Axe FX with impulses occasionally, but it doesn't get the same sound without the poweramp section, and all the tweaking possible within the Axe FX is actually counterproductive to making music for me, because I can lose time in all the tweaking rather than nailing a solid sound and going for it.

Doctor gay : thanks for the details. I was not speaking about guitar bus, but about the whole picture (guitar + bass + drums).
I had the impression that the bass was way more compressed and sub sounding on your extract, and everything sounded more compressed and a bit louder thant the straight stems provided.
But maybe it's just me :D

electricred : on the full Torpedo PI-101 WoS VST, you have the same cabs and mics than on the Torpedo VB-101, and they regularly capture and add new ones !
Beside this full version, you have 3 "sub" versions of the plugin with just modern cabs or vintage cabs or bass cabs. These versions cost a lot less, but are locked to the provided library (you won't be able to add the new cabs they'll offer in the future).

As an addition, I think the real advantage of their algorithm is that it's not traditional IR's technology, as they're dynamic / non linear, so I think it's pointless to use this plugin to load external IR's (just use a free IR loader like LeCab).
As far as I know, the Torpedo Live don't provide these non linearities, unlike the VB-101 and the PI-101 plugin.

Here's a comparison chart on their website between all their hardware product :
http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-vb-101/#compare

electricred : on the full Torpedo PI-101 WoS VST, you have the same cabs and mics than on the Torpedo VB-101, and they regularly capture and add new ones !
Beside this full version, you have 3 "sub" versions of the plugin with just modern cabs or vintage cabs or bass cabs. These versions cost a lot less, but are locked to the provided library (you won't be able to add the new cabs they'll offer in the future).

As an addition, I think the real advantage of their algorithm is that it's not traditional IR's technology, as they're dynamic / non linear, so I think it's pointless to use this plugin to load external IR's (just use a free IR loader like LeCab).
As far as I know, the Torpedo Live don't provide these non linearities, unlike the VB-101 and the PI-101 plugin.

Here's a comparison chart on their website between all their hardware product :
http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-vb-101/#compare

Actually i think the Live provides these non linearities... But it doesn't have the Variphi and Overload functions the VB-101 has.

More info here :

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=111690

p.s : the comparison chart is not totally up to date : now the VB-101 has the power amp sims too

Thanks! The clips here are impressive, and if the software is versatile enough to capture or use other impulses, it's something I might need to consider. Does the plugin contain some of the same mic/cab combinations that the hardware has? If so, I might grab that to see if it gels with me, and look at grabbing the Live later on. I've been using a line out from a preamp section to Axe FX with impulses occasionally, but it doesn't get the same sound without the poweramp section, and all the tweaking possible within the Axe FX is actually counterproductive to making music for me, because I can lose time in all the tweaking rather than nailing a solid sound and going for it.

there are 3 kind of "IRs" with the torpedo :

-the "advanced" built-in Torpedo technology IRs : (made by the Two Notes team and) non-linear/dynamic, where you can change the mic position in real time and also use the variphi and overload functions, and can only be used with the Torpedo units/plugins, and some new ones are provided by Two Notes (for download) every now and then (the cab library has doubled since the Torpedo line has been available, and keeps on increasing)
-the "user captured" IRs (semi-advanced) : captured with the torpedo's "torpedo capture" software by torpedo users, have semi-advanced features (you cannot move the mic position of course, but you can use the variphi and overload IIRR), and can only be used with the Torpedo units/plugins, and a couple have been made by users so far and shared on the two notes forum
-third-party IRs ("regular" impulses) : you can load them and use them the same way you would use them in say Le Cab, and of course you cannot use the "advanced" features such as moving the mic in real time or the variphi or overload functions, and as you know there are tons of freebies and also commercial out there, a lot of killer stuff among them

According to the chart, the Live don't provide these non linearities.
I also remember reading that from Guillaume somewhere else.

But it's a bit disturbing...
If you look at the english version of the chart, the line is called "Powered by Torpedo technology" and it's yes for every product.
But look at the french version : http://www.two-notes.com/materiel/torpedo-vb-101/#comparer

It's called "Impulses non-linéaires" and it's yes for VB101 and VM202, and no for Live and CAB.

So Guillaume if your still around, which version is right ?

Thanks for the info guys. I'm really turned onto a Torpedo now, but I'll need to read more about the Live/VB-101 differences. If the Live has the non-linear simulations, then I'm sold. The additional processing available in the VB-101 isn't necessary for me. I also read more information on their website, and it can load 512 non-linear user impulses, which is a huge sell for me. I have other plugins to load impulses, but being able to use my current library with a Torpedo in addition to it's own simulations is a key selling point for me.

wow you guys have really taken this and ran with it! this stuff is sounding great! I'll track some better DI's and backing tracks soon and get more tests going! Also I'm going to provide you all next time with a 5150, a Mesa Dual rec, a JSX, as well as possibly a few other amps!