U.D.O. North American Tour 2013

Driving from Sacramento, CA to go see the show in Hollywood and I'm going to see the show because I want to hear U.D.O. material - not Accept. Heard all the Accept I want to hear when I saw Accept the last 3 times and they were all awesome shows. Yes, there are U.D.O. fans out there who know how many releases he has!!!

I don't think you need to worry about the new guitarists. As expected at this level, UDO had the pick of the best. One of the new guitarists, Smirnov, also sings and plays in a pretty cool melo death band, Everlost.

Anyway, seems to be pretty good

Everlost video. Amazing production quality for a small time band like this. I think the new guy from Russian power metal band Epidemia sings the clean vocals.

pretty hot clip from guitarist. Really dig this guy's style. More flair than most.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those wanting to see that tour only to hear Accept songs, then you're in for a disappointement. Since the beginning of the tour, the setlist is mostly 11-12 U.D.O. tracks and 5-6 Accept songs. And that's really fine. Accept is alive and touring, they're great, so it's best for Udo to concentrate on his U.D.O. material.

I just saw that tour 2 nights in a row in Quebec (Montreal and St.Ferdinand). Both were killer shows. Really surprised to hear Udo's voice who was in great shape. The whole band was on fire. Yes, both new guitarists are excellent, especially Andrey Smirnov, who is also a fine showman, as opposed to Kasperi Heikkinen, who's a little less flashy on the stage.

Speaking of that St.Ferdinand show, it was a very special one. This is a little town of around 2,000 people, remotely located between Quebec City and Montreal. A really unlikely place to get a metal show with an international band like U.D.O. The promoter is a guy who works in a local forgery (Style Metal) that is a huge Udo/Accept fan. It looks like he worked 5 years to convince Udo to come and play a show in the forgery (turned into a concert venue). It finally worked this year, and it resulted in that little North American tour we got. The guy got some special effects for the show, like a fire blower and a huge "metal" ball made of plastic or soft material that bounced over the crowd during Balls To The Wall (a bit like when Metallica had all these black balloons at the end of their shows).

He even forged a real metal heart for the song of the same name.
528384_447923688617990_1270861511_n.jpg

The promoter also "dressed" his loader's bucket in U.D.O.'s honor (this was posted on U.D.O.'s Facebook) :
541573_10151584520632139_437415085_n.jpg

Here is the setlist, which was the same as for the Montreal show, except that Princess Of The Dawn had been added. Was it a special request from the promoter? Maybe. The show was sold-out (300 tickets). BTW, the only song from the upcoming Steelhammer album that was played (Metal Machine) was excellent. An excellent mid-paced headbanging song with a very good chorus.

Rev-Raptor
Thunderball
They Want War
Metal Machine
Screaming for a Love-Bite
Leatherhead
Vendetta
Head Over Heels
Princess Of The Dawn
Guitar Solo Kasperi
Burning Heat
24/7
Man and Machine
Guitar Solo Andrey
Animal House
Break the Rules
Timebomb

Encore:

Metal Heart
Balls to the Wall
Fast as a Shark

BTW, I have to say that these 2 U.D.O. shows I just saw this year were every bit as good in term of performance as the 2 ones I attended from the Accept-Blood Of The Nations tour in 2011. Udo's voice really surprised me and you can see the whole band has lots of fun to be on the stage and play.

Here was the "metal" ticket for that show:
601356_10151551974117139_1873134277_n.jpg

I didn't know Halcyon Way material a lot but thought they were fine as opener. Their sound was unfortunately not the best for both shows. I didn't care for the lead guitarist's growls (but the guy has a good stage presence for sure). I thought the lead singer was very good and the band as a whole as well. I was more in a "traditional metal" mood going to see U.D.O., but Halcyon Way were cool anyway.

Wow Guillaume, that is awesome! That is a true fan you got there for a neighbor! :Spin: Thanks for the photos.
I didn't really care for the Accept songs UDO chose to play. Even the Balls to the Wall. I mean, I know it's their best known song/single probably, but it's not even in their top 10 IMHO. There's so many other tracks he could've played instead :yuk: I feel Accept had a much better setlist whenever I saw them in the past few years.

Overall, it's a fun concert to go to, but the material is not very strong IMHO when I think about it critically. I don't think much of UDO solo stuff . Just average trad metal. but again, a lot of fun live and very competently played. In my case, it helped that ticket price was pretty good at 18.00.

How is it possible that a PP forum member was at the St Ferdinand show????? Small world. That was quite possibly the most amazing old school metal show I've ever been to.

How is it possible that a PP forum member was at the St Ferdinand show????? Small world. That was quite possibly the most amazing old school metal show I've ever been to.

Hehehe...I was there also in Montreal. 2 killer shows.

As I wrote above, I wasn't too familiar with your music, your sound was not the best, but you were cool to see anyway. I don't care about your growling though :D But that's probably just me, I prefer clean vox... You have a very good stage presence as I also previously mentioned.

How are the U.D.O. guys and the crew? I hope they treat you well.

The UDO guys are cool, haven't really spoken to Udo himself as he hasn't been real outgoing, but the rest of the guys are super cool as are the tour manager and crew. Andrey and Kasper are killer guitar players indeed. It's been a fun tour! We're clearly a different sort of band, but we've been making lots of new friends and fans so it's all good. \m/

I love how they had the giant ball in the crowd at the St.Ferdinand show.....HOWEVER.....this is what they had floating around the crowd during "Balls to the Walls" at the Chicago show.
IMG_0875_zpse1d5b901.jpg

haha, that was epic. UDO's crew and band pranked us; they wrapped our bus in saran wrap, and taped this penis along with an inflatable sheep on the hood...it was hysterical. So we decided to get a little payback. We've got video of me walking across the stage humping it while they played the chorus, so we'll post that pretty soon. Then we launched it out into the audience for the second chorus. =)

I ended up getting everyone to sign the sheep, it's going to live out it's days in our rehearsal space in my house. \m/

It was a great tour.

It was a fantastic show in Joliet, at least Halcon Way and U.D.O.

I honestly didn't know what my expectations were going into U.D.O. but I was pleasantly surprised by his band and the man himself. Goddamn that initial scream for "Fast as a Shark" was insane.

Having said that though, I still prefer current Accept, but I also think current Accept is hands down one of the top live acts in metal today.

thanks guys, appreciate it! UDO's band are all really good players, and they put on a really consistent and polished show every night. Whenever we tour we try to learn from the bands we're supporting and we definitely picked up a few things for the next go around!

It was a fantastic show in Joliet, at least Halcon Way and U.D.O.

I honestly didn't know what my expectations were going into U.D.O. but I was pleasantly surprised by his band and the man himself. Goddamn that initial scream for "Fast as a Shark" was insane.

Having said that though, I still prefer current Accept, but I also think current Accept is hands down one of the top live acts in metal today.

I think that the 2 U.D.O. shows I saw this year were as good as the 2 from Accept I saw in 2010. Overall, the Accept catalogue is of course better than U.D.O.'s (even though I'm a U.D.O. fan and enjoy most of his albums, at least until 2002), but in the live situation, both bands deliver big time. And while I really enjoy Mike Tornillo's work with Accept, I must say that Udo is the better frontman of the 2. And his voice just didn't change a lot since 30 years.

Speaking of that scream...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the 2 U.D.O. shows I saw this year were as good as the 2 from Accept I saw in 2010. Overall, the Accept catalogue is of course better than U.D.O.'s (even though I'm a U.D.O. fan and enjoy most of his albums, at least until 2002), but in the live situation, both bands deliver big time. And while I really enjoy Mike Tornillo's work with Accept, I must say that Udo is the better frontman of the 2. And his voice just didn't change a lot since 30 years.

Speaking of that scream...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRMZBtHz8_8

I just think Accept has more energy and stage presence that U.D.O., and while I was surprised how well Udo's vocals held up, Tornillo definitely has more energy and communicates with the crowd better imo. Not saying U.D.O. is bad, but I just don't think there are many bands that can touch Accept.