UEFA EURO 2008

7thSaviour

Power Metal Maniac
Jul 8, 2005
Dixieland USA
Soccer! In First Round Group A play from yesterday:

Czech Republic 1, Switzerland 0 :headbang:

Portugal 2, Turkey 0 (Sorry about that, batmura!):cry: Although, in all fairness and honesty, 2 of my players from Manchester United(Ronaldo and Nani) play on the Portuguese national side.:kickass:

In Group B action today:
Croatia 1, Austria 0. Way to go, Croats!

Germany Vs. Poland is next!
I am rooting for Germany, since I'm a quarter Germanic myself! No offense to my Polish friends out there!
Germany has defeated Poland today by a score of 2-0, both goals by Podolski! Ja!

Day 3's slate of games includes action from Group C, this year's "group of death".

Romania Vs. France (Being part French, I say GO FRANCE!) 0-0 An altogether very boring unsatisfying result for France.

Italy Vs. The Netherlands (I've always loved the Big Orange!) Way to go, Dutch Boys! 3-0! First win Vs. Italy in 30 years! Very gratifying and thrilling performance by the guys from Holland!

Thought France played like crap. The Romanian defense did a good job in stopping le bleu. I wonder, however, if the coach should've tried getting Henry to play in the second half. I know he's trying to save him for the real tough games coming up against Holland and Italy, but France *REALLY* needed the three points today. They're in trouble in my opinion.

Germany and Portugal impressed me. Solid performances with great lineups. I could see them both reaching the finals, but it's too early to predict.

And what a bummer for Frei to get hurt in his first match for the Swiss? Poor guy, his dream got shattered...

Thought France played like crap. The Romanian defense did a good job in stopping le bleu. I wonder, however, if the coach should've tried getting Henry to play in the second half. I know he's trying to save him for the real tough games coming up against Holland and Italy, but France *REALLY* needed the three points today. They're in trouble in my opinion.

Germany and Portugal impressed me. Solid performances with great lineups. I could see them both reaching the finals, but it's too early to predict.

And what a bummer for Frei to get hurt in his first match for the Swiss? Poor guy, his dream got shattered...
You're right about Le Bleu, they really came up short today, but thanks to Italy's poor showing Vs. Holland, both the French and the Romanians are still very much :kickass:alive and well in the tournament.

Netherlands had a great 1st half, 2nd half was kinda boring, just turned it off after their 3rd goal.
The Dutch looked magnificent today. The Italians had NEVER been scored upon thrice in a single match in Euro Championships play before today. Game, set, and match for The Netherlands!:headbang: RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD!:worship:

I'm excited about tomorrow's games. On paper, Spain is a favorite. As always. Somehow, they always lose focus and are the biggest disappointment. I still maintain my hopes to someday see them rising to the top. They deserve it.

Sweden had a good last few months but Ibrahimovic hasn't scored a goal for the national team since 2005 I think. Funny how the coach decided to put his trust on Henrik Larsson (36 years old now) to score goals. I wish they'd go far, but I have a feeling they won't. We'll see.

As far as Netherlands x Italy, yes, the Dutch kicked some serious ass today. Looks like Italy may be just a pretender rather than a contender.

This is finally my specific cup of tea! I absolutely love this tournament, more so than the World Cup because of the sheer quality of all teams involved. I've piped Germany to come out at the end of the tournament victorious, I mean they are just to strong! But after seeing the Dutch manhandle the defending World champs, I'm a little anxious about them. But knowing the Dutch, they'll self-destruct in the quarterfinals, like usual.

I still need to see Spain play though. Everyone has high hopes for them, and yes, they are a quality side. Unfortunately, history does not bode well for Espana.

This is finally my specific cup of tea! I absolutely love this tournament, more so than the World Cup because of the sheer quality of all teams involved. I've piped Germany to come out at the end of the tournament victorious, I mean they are just to strong! But after seeing the Dutch manhandle the defending World champs, I'm a little anxious about them. But knowing the Dutch, they'll self-destruct in the quarterfinals, like usual.

I still need to see Spain play though. Everyone has high hopes for them, and yes, they are a quality side. Unfortunately, history does not bode well for Espana.
I see Spain making it out of their group, but not necessarily finishing group play in first place. I see the Dutch going as far as their wide-open offense and lucky defense will take them. Germany are certainly the odds-on favorites to win the whole thing, however.
I see Spain defeating Russia today by at least 2 goals and maybe Sweden wins their match Vs. Greece this afternoon.
In international play, how about that USA-ARG scoreless draw with both teams each a man down? A sold-out Giants Stadium, too. Man, USA soccer sure has come a long way!:headbang:

I'm excited about tomorrow's games. On paper, Spain is a favorite. As always. Somehow, they always lose focus and are the biggest disappointment. I still maintain my hopes to someday see them rising to the top. They deserve it.

Sweden had a good last few months but Ibrahimovic hasn't scored a goal for the national team since 2005 I think. Funny how the coach decided to put his trust on Henrik Larsson (36 years old now) to score goals. I wish they'd go far, but I have a feeling they won't. We'll see.

As far as Netherlands x Italy, yes, the Dutch kicked some serious ass today. Looks like Italy may be just a pretender rather than a contender.
I love Henrik Larsson and have been a major Sweden/HL fan since '94! Loved his days with Celtic, too.:kickass: Viva Espana!

I see Spain making it out of their group, but not necessarily finishing group play in first place. I see the Dutch going as far as their wide-open offense and lucky defense will take them. Germany are certainly the odds-on favorites to win the whole thing, however.
I see Spain defeating Russia today by at least 2 goals and maybe Sweden wins their match Vs. Greece this afternoon.
In international play, how about that USA-ARG scoreless draw with both teams each a man down? A sold-out Giants Stadium, too. Man, USA soccer sure has come a long way!:headbang:

Very true. I agree almost fully with your predictions, spot on. I'm not really a fan of Sweden or Greece, but I favor Sweden out of respect for the Swedes.

As for the USA-Argentina game, I didn't get to see much of it. I don't really follow US Int'l Soccer because I disagree with the appointment of Bradley (however good he may be). But, I will watch games when they play opponents I like (European, Brazi, Argentina).

Many commentators have been giving rave reviews to Michael Bradley, and well, his form for his country has been quite dismal compared to the attacking prowess he shows at his Dutch club, Heerenveen.

Simply put, the games against England and Spain demonstrated that the US cannot simply compete against Europeans, in Europe - we are a very home-oriented side.

I love Henrik Larsson and have been a major Sweden/HL fan since '94! Loved his days with Celtic, too.:kickass: Viva Espana!

I loved the 94 World Cup. I can still remember us (Brazil) beating Sweden and Larsson on the semis... ;) :lol:

If only Brazil still had it like before. I believe we're ranked #2 or #3 in the world right now according to Fifa, and we just lost a stupid match against Venezuela (!)

Still, the rankings don't mean anything... haha

Very true. I agree almost fully with your predictions, spot on. I'm not really a fan of Sweden or Greece, but I favor Sweden out of respect for the Swedes.

As for the USA-Argentina game, I didn't get to see much of it. I don't really follow US Int'l Soccer because I disagree with the appointment of Bradley (however good he may be). But, I will watch games when they play opponents I like (European, Brazi, Argentina).

Many commentators have been giving rave reviews to Michael Bradley, and well, his form for his country has been quite dismal compared to the attacking prowess he shows at his Dutch club, Heerenveen.

Simply put, the games against England and Spain demonstrated that the US cannot simply compete against Europeans, in Europe - we are a very home-oriented side.
Very true, Kashford. Excellent analysis there! We'll take a draw Vs. the likes of ARG anyday.

I loved the 94 World Cup. I can still remember us (Brazil) beating Sweden and Larsson on the semis... ;) :lol:

If only Brazil still had it like before. I believe we're ranked #2 or #3 in the world right now according to Fifa, and we just lost a stupid match against Venezuela (!)

Still, the rankings don't mean anything... haha
I think the USA is just outside the Top 20.
:zombie::err:
At least my Swedes won today, thanks to 2 late goals, one from your guy Ibrahimovic-a thing of beauty!:headbang:

Also in Group D, Spain gets a huge result against the Russians, 4-1! I couldn't be happier for them today! What a hat trick for David Villa! On a side note, Russia's national anthem is among my favorites in the world! Also, why were the Spanish players and coaches not singing along with their anthem? Is that their tradition?

I'm a diehard liverpool supporter so i'm gonna have to go for Spain this time around since England failed to qualify and Spain have 4 of the pool in the squad. Pity seeing Torres come off early...hope he's not injured. Nice assist on the first goal.

Also in Group D, Spain gets a huge result against the Russians, 4-1! I couldn't be happier for them today! What a hat trick for David Villa! On a side note, Russia's national anthem is among my favorites in the world! Also, why were the Spanish players and coaches not singing along with their anthem? Is that their tradition?

Ya, I was disappointed that I didn't see the game because I was in my class. One of my fellow students came in and told me about the hat-trick, I guess he left before Cesc's goal.

Yes Russia has a badass national anthem, and here's why Spaniards don't sing their anthem...

Spain, albeit a nation, is a nation comprised of highly autonomous regions. Rather than thinking themselves as Spaniards, they think of themselves as Castellanos (Madrid and Central Spain), Catalans (Barcelona and surrouding states), Galiacians (right above Portugal), Basques ("more French" than Spanish), Andalucians (Seville) and Valencians. I got a pretty heavy dose of this stuff in my Western European politics course - and getting a double dose from reading Morbo: The Story of Spanish Football by Phil Ball.

Football, yes football, has consumed my life now for about 3-4 years and has become a major topic that I cover in many of my papers for my major and minor... so consider me a database for all things football!

Portugal ripped apart the Czechs, 3-1. Meanwhile, we break away to the Slip 'n Slide competition masquerading as the Turkey-Switzerland match. The match conditions were a disgrace. Yakin scored on a tee shot into an open net while Turkey's keeper was sliding 9 miles away. Yakin blew another gimme that a quadriplegic could have put away with a hint of patience. Turkey got lucky late. Great match, but the match play was horrible due to the miserable conditions.