Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Satriani

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Paul Gilbert

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 13.2%

• Total voters
I chose Romeo, with Greg Howe, John Petrucci, and Paul Gilbert, coming in as close runners up. Each guitarist up there has a technique which he dominates more than any others, so I guess it's all taste and bias from there. I think most of the players on that poll are awesome though.

I picked Greg Howe and here's why: The only other guitarist that comes close to being as diversive as Greg Howe on this list is Vai, but we know Greg Howe can play metal, neo-classical, rock, blues, jazz, fusion, classical, funk, Pop, etc. All the other guitarists are great in their genre, but not many have shown the full spectrum of what a single guitarist can do. Some of Greg's choices in music are not my taste, but he can play all the styles AND he can play them great!

My vote goes to :worship: :headbang: Romeo :headbang: :worship: because he's the only metal guitarist i've ever heard who never throws in a solo just to have one. All his solos are inspired, great sounding, melodic, kick ass and he knows how to handle rhythm guitar which is such an important aspect. Hell, even the backing rhythm rules on Symx solos... :erk: He really loves songwriting and music, not showing off and acting glamourish and shitty like Vai and many others. (no offence, Vai is a great guitarist)

My favourite always changes time to time between J.Petrucci,Y.Malmsteen,M.Romeo and J. Stump.There are many reosens why ı love each of them.
This time ıll vote for Stump because ı love the fact that he just Rocks when he shreds he knows what rock is about(all the players in the list does but ı just like his command on traditional stuff and blues more than the others).
he also writes beatuiful melodies.and an awesome neoclassical player with frightening chops

Hmm, a guitar poll on a Symphony X forum - I wonder who will win? The suspense will keep me awake tonight, I'm sure.

Kidding aside, I love all the players on the list. I went with Malmsteen because of the dramatic impact he had on the instrument in rock music. I still remember getting Rising Force for Christmas and fainting when I heard it playing. Even my mom liked it, which is saying quite a bit...

I remember seeing Howe II back in 1990 in Lubbock and meeting the band after the show. They were a great group of guys and they all signed my poster - Albert Howe wrote, "Thanks for kicking my ass", because I was a little rowdy that night. Greg Howe never came out of the dressing room though, and we were all rather disappointed. But, we met him at a local music store the next day and he was a really cool guy - too bad I was too speechless to talk. Darn youth.

Wheres Buckethead?!!!! Jk but i went with Petrucci, cause before i got into Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc...i thought the most talented guitar player was Kirk Hammet (hey i was a huge metallica fan, but i didnt know any better). Dream Theater pretty much changed my life, cause like i said up to that point, i thought Metallica were gods. Dream Theater changed all that, and they were the first band i heard that would blow like Hammet and Metallica out of the water. So thats my choice. But anyways even though i dig most of the guys on the list, Petrucci is still my fav, with Vai, Stach, Malmsteen and Romeo coming close. But damn Ty Tabor should be up there!!!! :worship:

SeaOfNames said:
Wheres Buckethead?!!!! Jk but i went with Petrucci, cause before i got into Dream Theater, Symphony X, etc...i thought the most talented guitar player was Kirk Hammet (hey i was a huge metallica fan, but i didnt know any better). Dream Theater pretty much changed my life, cause like i said up to that point, i thought Metallica were gods. Dream Theater changed all that, and they were the first band i heard that would blow like Hammet and Metallica out of the water. So thats my choice. But anyways even though i dig most of the guys on the list, Petrucci is still my fav, with Vai, Stach, Malmsteen and Romeo coming close. But damn Ty Tabor should be up there!!!! :worship:

That is so refreshing to hear a story about somebody converting from Metallilosers to such a complex, yet heavy, band like Dream Theater. I was never much into Metallica, save for Master of Puppets, and I never could understand their appeal to my schoolmates. I was always trodding the less beaten path of MacAlpine, Vai, Howe, Savatage, Malmsteen, Vinnie Moore, etc. (ok, anybody on the Shrapnel label). Then when I heard DT in college, I was blown away - here's the instrumental virtuosity I love with great vocals and song structures as well. I was in heaven. Then when I saw them on the I&W tour, I was a fan for life. I still can't understand the appeal of Metallica, other than it's what the "cool" kids in high school like and everybody wants to be "cool".