Ulver

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
JayKeeley, have you had a chance to listen to 'Bergtatt' and 'Nattens Madrigal'?

Bergtatt is so good it hurts. Nattens is just amazingly black and grim. Two of the best CD's I own. Throw in 'Kvledssanger' and you have the best Trilogy since the original Star Wars trilogy.:loco:

npearce said:
JayKeeley, have you had a chance to listen to 'Bergtatt' and 'Nattens Madrigal'?

Bergtatt is so good it hurts. Nattens is just amazingly black and grim. Two of the best CD's I own. Throw in 'Kvledssanger' and you have the best Trilogy since the original Star Wars trilogy.:loco:

Yes Bergtatt consumes me completely. It feels like I've found treasure recently.

I have yet to hear Nattens Madrigal - I'm just preparing myself amidst all the other brilliant stuff I've got in over the last couple of weeks (specifically from Prophecy Productions).

An even better trilogy than the NEW Star Wars movies??o_O

npearce said:

Maybe even better than the Star Wars trilogy...? I have listened to those three much more than I've watched the movies. :)

Check out the unofficial Ulver forum here at UM, I've been known to post there, and my good buddy Russell always has some great insight to them as well. :)

William Blake scares me, but I love it. Long, drawn out, and overdone, but awesome. Masturbatory music at its finest.

Metamorphosis EP is my least favorite (too trance/dance for me), but has one of my favorite songs, Of Wolves and Withdrawal.

Perdition City will receive a 10/10 from me within a year or two (CDs must be in my collection for several years before I can grant them this honor... some very rare exceptions though).

The Silence EPs are not for everyone, but they sure are for me, I absolutely adore them. If you're looking for something more ambient than Perdition City, but not quiet minimalist like Lyckantropen, here ya go. Good luck finding them, unfortunately they are of very limited pressing.

Lyckantropen is great except the last track... the only not-so-great song they have done. Very minimalist, this is definitely a headphones album.

I have heard one song from their forthcoming EP, it sounds like Future Sound Of London to me, which is just fine since I'm a huge fan of them as well.

I'm trying to decide on whether or not to buy the latest release listed on the End's website...

I have the Silence eps, I like them when in the right mood. And I wholeheartedly agree with you about the last track on Lyckantropen...
Me and the wife were having a rather good session one night until that track came on and fucked everything up...

:)

William Blake and Perdition City are both excellent. William Blake is more experimental and still retains moments of metal. Perdition City is straight forward trance/jazz/avant garde music. Awesome stuff, though.

I have heard awful things about that 1st Decade in the Machines... I guess it is just remixes by 'Friends of Ulver' or something.

My lack of Ulver knowledge prevents me from commenting on Ulver, but I can go on and on and on about how Lord Of The Rings is already a better trilogy than Star Wars. And it's only 2/3 done! ;)

NAD said:
Check out the unofficial Ulver forum here at UM, I've been known to post there, and my good buddy Russell always has some great insight to them as well. :)

:wave: :)

The Silence EPs are not for everyone, but they sure are for me, I absolutely adore them. If you're looking for something more ambient than Perdition City, but not quiet minimalist like Lyckantropen, here ya go. Good luck finding them, unfortunately they are of very limited pressing.
Speaking of which I just confirmed my fan boy status by getting Teachings in Silence even tho I have both EP's :rolleyes: Well worth it for the.. err... extra artwork! :erk: :D

I have heard one song from their forthcoming EP, it sounds like Future Sound Of London to me, which is just fine since I'm a huge fan of them as well.
Yeah, it's really grown on me, I just love it now :cool:

NAD said:
I have heard awful things about that 1st Decade in the Machines... I guess it is just remixes by 'Friends of Ulver' or something.

Some are really very good, IMO, some aren't :) I'm glad I've got it tho.. It really depends on your opinions of the minimalistic/harsher side of electronica whether you'll like most of it or not.. :)

I figure I'll pick up 1st Decade when the Quick Fix EP comes out, just for completist's sake. :) Glad to hear you picked up the 3rd Silence EP, I still don't have the first one. :(

And hells yes Mark, the Lord of the Rings trilogy beats Star Wars by a long shot!

NAD said:
I figure I'll pick up 1st Decade when the Quick Fix EP comes out, just for completist's sake. :) Glad to hear you picked up the 3rd Silence EP, I still don't have the first one. :(

Yup, even tho the music is the same as the first two I'm glad I've got it as the photos are so cool! :D And it's the most limited :Smug:

Are you having trouble finding the first one, I'm sure I saw it on a website somwhere..

I see it on eBay all the time, but I was hoping to come across it for $10 like the other two. :D I'm in no rush to get it though, since I already have the music.

Ok, since I'm not sure what this Quick Fix EP or 3rd Silence EP is and there appears to be a few of you into Ulver as much as I am..

Help me on what I am missing...

Bergtatt
Kveldsfanger
Nattens Madrigal
Metamorphosis EP
Themes From William Blake
Perdition City
Silence Teaches You How To Sing
Silencing The Singing
Lyckantropen Themes

What don't I have?