Ulver

nearly seven years on, and ive pretty much got everything the band has done. Quick Fix of Melancholy is fabulous, moving stuff. But Shadows of the Sun is majestic stuff, even the Sabbath cover. Not so crazy about Themes since it's all over the place. Perdition CIty and Silencing the Singing are good.

a shame it took me so long to check out latter Ulver.

RE: Vargnatt - that clean singing is downright awful

oh yeah

that's one album that just can't lose its appeal, however often you'll play it. But of course playing it once in a while, at sunset and on the way to drunkness, will yield impressions of invincibility (provided you live under the sixth floor)

my opinion nowadays is that vargnatt is unquestionably their best work

nattens doesn't stand the test of time honestly. bergtatt, still good but not top10 of forever like i used to think.

the test of what time? If it holds 3 years it holds forever. If not it means you changed. Which is cool but don't pass the blame on Ulver, please.
i dunno it is honestly kind of a gimmick album and i just feel like i kind of see through it these days

it's too 'obvious' to be a timeless work

point taken yes it is certainly an academic exercise to a large extent. I've pushed the thought at the back of my mind early on and it stayed there. IMO the outcome supersedes the intention by far enough to provide 100% plausible enjoyment.

it's enjoyable alright, it's just not a GREAT work, in the real sense of the word, like i might once have believed

I bought Themes *years* ago and I thought it was so bad I never bothered with any of Ulver's other works. Did I fail?

Themes is unlike any other ulver. Bergtatt, quick fix, perdition city, and shadows of the sun are my personal faves.

You might like quick fix and shadows

Never realized how FUGGIN SWEET the latter-day Ulver albums are. Wow.

(It's UHL-ver, right?)

I always appreciated Nattens Madrigal more than I actually enjoyed it. Some absolutely fantastic riffs therein though, holy balls. Bergtatt and Perdition City are about as close to perfection in music that I know about. Blood Inside and Shadows of the Sun only grab every great once in awhile, those would be my least favoUrite Ulver albums were it not for Childhood's End, which, quite frankly, sucks. The rest are varying degrees of fantastic.