Unblessing The Purity Review

I dont want to be thread-police but why dont you keep this postal-talk in the "tomorrow-thread" so we can keep this thread cleaner?
I waited four days to read this topic and i thought i would be left behind but 50% of the posts are no reviews, but postal-complaints etc.

Well, I am on my 6th listen, and to be honest, I am somewhat disappointed. I guess that this album is more straight up Death metal? I have no idea because really I don't get into much Death metal aside from Bloodbath. They were different from all of the other Death metal that I knew out there, but this seems to put them into all of the other Death metal. I like it, but definitely not nearly as much as the other releases. I miss Swanö's chugging type riffs, ha. I never thought that I would say that I miss him, but I miss that element for sure. One thing that I miss are the bad ass pinch harmonics. Swanö used some fucking awesome pinch harmonics in some of his songs on Resurrection Through Carnage that I loved. Pretty sure it was his songs. Also, I loved Anders' pinch harmonics on Draped In Disease from the last album. The pinch harmonics in Sick Salvation don't really present that same awesomeness of feeling. I hope that this album will grow on me over time. As I said, I like the album, but it just doesn't do as much for me as I was hoping and expecting.

I really love Mike's delivery on the first two tracks, but on the last two he doesn't do anything special with the delivery. I am not speaking about the sound of his vocals, just the way in which he says the lyrics. If I had to put the tracks in order of which I like the most right now, it would be like this: Weak Aside, Blasting The Virginborn, Mouth Of Empty Praise, Sick Salvation. The track that has grown on me the most with each listen has been Mouth Of Empty Praise. I like the end because it sounds so creepy.

Generally, I have not cared for the new soloing really. They don't seem to go anywhere. For me, they are just shredding solos with no emotion except to just shred, ha. I like the solo around the 1 minute mark in Mouth Of Empty Praise though. It seems to have a little more feeling than most of the other solos. The solo at the end of the track is also alright. I don't know if it is considered a solo, but the part around 1:40 on Blasting The Virginborn is also sweet. It actually has feeling to me. I guess it is a pre-solo of sorts, but I don't like the solo that follows very much.

So, that is my take so far. Everything could change eventually though, so I may have a completely different opinion sometime down the road. We will see. Again, I do enjoy it, but it is definitely not like the other releases for me.

Ha, I just noticed a pretty sweet pinch harmonic in Blasting The Virginborn at 2:47, and it occurs again towards the very end. There is another one at the end of the solo that is weak though.

Good production and good vocals. The music is performed well. The problem for me is that I can't remember the songs after hearing them several times. Kind of ordinary and pretty boring sounding death metal. I miss songs like Eaten or Like Fire that you remember. 3/5 (I only give it 3 becasue Mike sings very good on this) Maybe I need to listen more...

Eaten is a cliche stereotypical generic chug fest death metal song. I'm really glad there is nothing like Eaten on this e.p because while not being a bad song is just not fitting for the band.

Eaten is a cliche stereotypical generic chug fest death metal song. I'm really glad there is nothing like Eaten on this e.p because while not being a bad song is just not fitting for the band.

word.
my bandmembers wanted to play "eaten" at our concerts, and after 50 times of practicing that song, it gets extremely boring, because, as stated, it's a chugga-chugga-no-big-changes-to-keep-it-interesting-song...it's come to the point where i can't even listen to it anymore.
i actually always dreaded practicing this song...
weak aside would be awesome to cover...:headbang:

I love the chugging that Dan used in his songs, but I have always believed Eaten to be the most overrated song. If not for the lyrics, it wouldn't be as big of a favourite that it is. When the chugging was tasteful, it was great. Like Fire and The Soulcollector in particular.