Unblessing The Purity Review

I agree exactly with what Tumn has said.. Minus the horror clip thing, which doesn't bother me.

It is hard to explain but before, Bloodbath was a band that death metal elitists and casual death metal listeners could enjoy.. Yet now it seems it leans towards only the death metal fans.

I actually had a friend who never listened to ANY metal and he liked the songs Brave New Hell, Eaten and he enjoyed most of them to an extent. Today he asked me "did you get the new Bloodbath album ?" I said "yeah" and he told me to give him a listen. I was like "you probably won't like it, they stepped up the h'core a little bit." And he said "but I like blast beats!" which is understandable because he is a drummer. When Blasting the Virginborn his eyes went wide open and all he could say was Wow.

Wow in a bad way.

Not saying I don't love Bloodbath, I still love this EP even. It just doesn't appeal to as big of an audience IMO.

NP : Sick Salvation!

I'm surprised by the reaction to this disc. To me, it's by far their best work by far. It's exactly what straight death metal should sound like IMO - really brutal, with a slight hint of atmosphere and melodicism which takes the songs to a new place, and a progression in the riff structure that keeps the songs from feeling stagnant.

Honestly, I think Bloodbath is best at EPs. This is their most consistent release since Breeding Death. Mouth of Empty Praise isn't a very cohesive song within itself, but overall these tracks are ace! I feel with every release thus far they've been coming closer to being a serious band*, and that they've actually arrived there this time.

*For those of you that have always considered them a serious band, I do not mean to offend. As far I've heard, they recorded Breeding Death as a joke while drunk, then Century Media heard it and wanted to release it, and asked them to make a full album (RTC). They were a lot more serious as a band on NMF, but songs like Eaten made sure they never seemed too serious. With UtP, they sound like a real Death Metal band instead of a bunch of guys getting together and having fun with a side project.

The EP is good.The whole premise of Bloodbath was "the world needs more old-school death metal". More than ANY of the other albums, except maybe the Breeding Death EP do they accomplish old-school death metal. I can't exactly hum a melody from this, but the solos are solid and so is fucking AXE. And Tumn, I have to disagree with you. The movie quote bit on Sick Salvation is fucking sick, and so are the bass + drums (2:30!!!) playing over it. I went into this after reading all the bad reviews, and you all have to understand: Bloodbath ≠ Opeth. So what if you can't hum a melody here? Stop creaming your pants about Mikael coming back to the band (although that's a good thing, of course). It's brutal. It's fucking brutal. It's not overly-brutal, like Cannibal Corpse or anything like that to the point that the general effect is cheesy. It's tastefully brutal, and that's more evil than anything else.

I'm hoping this means a full album later on, same lineup. I honestly wouldn't mind the choruses again (see Bathe in Blood), but this was fucking great.

After listening to some new Cryptopsy songs, I thank you Bloodbath for staying true to death metal. Whether I like everything you do or not, it doesn't matter.

And some of you guys need to stop acting like I hate Unblessing the Purity, I don't. I like it, but it's just at the bottom of Bloodbath releases for me currently. There are just things I like less about than any previous release.

I actually still have not heard any of it at all :cry:
It sucks pretty fucking bad.
I cannot download it if I wanted to anyway... DC++ is not working for me at the moment... waiting for my copy in the mail.
I already know I am going to like it better than NMF though :Smug:

I think it's alright, doesn't sound very old school though. Something seems missing too... guess it's Dan.

bb_kittens.jpg

Nice trademark Blakkheim melodies in Weak Aside for sure. Mouth of Empty Praise was friggin' sweet as well. Nothing wrong with the not so memorable other two songs, but I would have appreciated the old style combo, with Blakkheim making kick-ass haunting songs, Swanö making "hit-death" and Renkse making those straight-dm songs (soul evisceration, blasting the virginborn etc). On UtP the last mention style get a little to much space.

i think it just f´n slays. wont hear anything better in 08
And whats up with you guys "not remembering anything after just hearing it" ? Maybe time to go to the doc ;)

Oh and btw mouth of empty praise is my fav after listening to the ep for the fourth time.

Edit:
But yeah, have to agree, kind of an unnecessary low blow by Jonas.

Well I listened to the EP non stop for 90minutes on the train so... I guess I like it. >_> Weak Aside is probably my favourite.

I live in the US, and I hope that I can get my copy by the end of the mail week at the latest, ha. I have gotten shipments from Germany within a week before, so you would think that a UK shipment would be even quicker.

I'm going to say something I didn't expect to say, but Mikael matched Peter growl-wise for me this album. The production really brought out a more thick sounding growl than RTC had and that was my main problem with RTC's vocals.
I totally agree! On this release they fixed exactly that which was missing on RTC; a more thick, chunky sounding growl instead of the rather 'dry' RTC growls. This is great.
RTC has one of the best vocal sounds ever!!!
Well, no. See above.

Anyway, I got my CD today and I'm playing it for the 5th or 6th time now. I didn't really pay any attention to the samples yet, so I was still 'clean' in my expectation. First thing I noticed was the incredible brutality and blast-feast! Haha, I happen to love proper blasts and Axe delivers just that, hell FUCKING yeah!

First off "Blasting The Virginborn", definitely reminds me of Morbid Angel, maybe also because of the "Nazareeeene" the lyrics start out with uttered by Mike's David Vincent-reminiscent thick growls. Great song, nice 'sick' guitarwork and merciless blasting by Axe.

"Weak Aside" was the first one that got stuck in my head, mainly because of the unrelenting brutality, tak tak tak tadadadadadadada :kickass::kickass:Man, that is one awesome break there, absolutely crushing. Great guitar shredding there as well.

"Sick Salvation", the least memorable track for me, don't mind the sample. Can't really say a whole lot about it otherwise, decent brutal Death Metal song, that's it really.

"Mouth of Empty Praise" definitely has some Morbid Angel parts again (chorus). The slowest track on the disc. Good song.

Production is great, on par with NMF i.m.o., probably even a bit better (more compact). Very satisfying disc overal!

Nice trademark Blakkheim melodies in Weak Aside for sure. Mouth of Empty Praise was friggin' sweet as well. Nothing wrong with the not so memorable other two songs, but I would have appreciated the old style combo, with Blakkheim making kick-ass haunting songs, Swanö making "hit-death" and Renkse making those straight-dm songs (soul evisceration, blasting the virginborn etc). On UtP the last mention style get a little to much space.

you are about 100% right sir

lol, I find the opposite, RTC (too me) is chunkier (as we say in french "Gras") and UTP is a little dryer. But whatever, it's all about opinion; they're both great vocally =)
The colour of the sound isn't really a matter of opinion, whether you like it or not obviously is. The vox clearly sound more dry (hoarse) on RTC than on NMF and the new one..

Damn it! Im lossing my mind over here!!!! I STILL havent gotten the MCD even though I payed it like a month ago..=(
I'm loosing out on everything you are saying
PITTY ME!!!!!!!!!

So I finally got the CD today! Hooray!
Im 4 days and 4 pages behind in this thread thanks to the slow shipping and all you weak fuckers who downloaded it from iTunes. :p

Im on my 6th listen now and its growing on me quick.
I heard the samples a few times so I was expecting something different. They sure have kicked up the speed this time, loads of blastbeats and I like it. :headbang:

This album screams Morbid Angel to me, the guitars has a more muddy sound and the riffs and melodies are fast, twisted and sick.
Blakkheim naming Weak Aside from the first words of Domination, the riffs that kicks in at 0:55 has a serious Dawn of The Angry-vibe, this is obviously a tribute to Vincent and the guys in Morbid Angel. Groovy stuff, I love it!

Micke sounds great, maybe not as brutal as on RTC imo, but hes a fucking beast like usual and it goes well with the new sound.

I can see how someone that want more catchy stuff would get a bit disappointed with this realease, Swanö's absence is kind of obvious when it comes to that. But i think Mouth of Empty Praise is good example that the guys can write catchy stuff aswell.

Overall it might be harder to digest this EP compared to what they have put out before, but I think it will stay fresh for quite some time.