UNDERWORLD discussion thread

Guys, what are the lyrics in the second second chorus of To Hell and Back...they aren't in the book!

On and on and on...the (past can never be something???)?

Guys, what are the lyrics in the second second chorus of To Hell and Back...they aren't in the book!

On and on and on...the (past can never be something???)?

No quarter asked, no quarter given.

Never forgot, or forgiven.

The past can never be unwritten.

I can agree with that, I'm still holding out that they will take the golden oppurtunity for their tenth studio album to be X: The New New Mythology Suite!

I dig the new album, I really do. But, part of me is still let down, and probably will, and for ever be let down!

I understand the whole buisness aspect of it. But Symphony X is big enough at the point, that they could release a completely fresh prog album, to replace V, and fans would love it. I personally have yet to meet a fan, who says they can only listen to Iconoclast, and hate all three of the big three. (DWOT, V, The Odyssey).

That being said, I also understant that there are alot of tools, who think Iconoclast and Paradise Lost are the second comming of christ. Which perhaps, when compared to the mainstream, is the creme de la crop! But as far as Symphony X goes, its not. I also wouldn't be against them rerecording Self titled.

Good review and comments. I can agree and disagree with a lot of the stuff said about this album - I think everyone has made solid points.

My thing is the mainstream and comparisons to Avenged Sevenfold that keep being made. If you compare Avenged to every other band that is either on the radio and/or big in the more underground scene, they are an extremely solid band. Not every release is gold, as not many bands put out back to back perfect records, but what they put out, in my opinion is extremely solid and worth listening to (at least their newer content). I bring Avenged up because I think that if Symphony X want to be recognized by a larger audience and still maintain some of what made them who they are, so be it. I would KILL to see this band be able to open for someone like Avenged. It would help increase their popularity, sales, etc. All good things.

I think the band's approach with Iconoclast was far too heavy metal/no prog driven. I think that at this point it's impossible to compare their newer albums to V, because they simply lack the orchestral prog that created the band. But the new content, for what it is and in comparison to EVERYTHING else out there in the mainstream, is outstanding. Yeah, I think songs like RWtD are bordering Adrenaline Mob territory...but people slamming Charon? I can't see why. It's the closest thing we've seen to a V track in a long, long time. Maybe I need to listen to the album a few more times, but I think it's a very large step in the right direction and surpasses both Iconoclast and Paradise Lost (Maybe).

but people slamming Charon? I can't see why. It's the closest thing we've seen to a V track in a long, long time.

Actually that has become my favorite track on the album. Even the "middle eastern" sound is a bit cliche in metal nowadays, I think its one of the few tracks on the album what flows good and sounds the most like SX.

What is the best guitar solo? Let's take a poll.

I'd prefer if people didn't say Swan Song, because I think that's the obvious answer many people on this forum will give. So try to avoid it unless you loathe every other solo on the album :D

If I had to pick, I'd say the first Underworld solo just because that diminished/minor run is so insane, but there are like 5 close seconds.

I'd prefer if people didn't say Swan Song, because I think that's the obvious answer many people on this forum will give. So try to avoid it unless you loathe every other solo on the album :D

If I had to pick, I'd say the first Underworld solo just because that diminished/minor run is so insane, but there are like 5 close seconds.

I can't comment man. I'm a vocalist, not a guitar player. But to me all the solos sound very much alike. Maybe I just have a terrible ear for runs. I honestly with Romeo would sometimes just play some slowed down, bluesy-ass solos with some soul every now and again. All the tapping and runs every song gets repetitive to me.

^ Absolutely.

But aside from Swan Song, the best two would be either Charon or Without You since those actually do prioritize melody and feel over shredding. I'll go with Charon since it injects some more technical flash.

Its always interesting to see all the old school forumers come out of the woodwork when a new SyX album releases every 4-6 years.

After the first listen I don't remember much...

Feels like Iconoclast 2 with a few twists. But I gotta say I'm disappointed :(

Gotta give it more listens for sure, but doesn't look good..

Hmmm...

"Legend" has some amazing solos with Romeo & Pinella trading.
"Nevermore" has a solid solo too.

Hard for me to choose right now. However, I am going with "Legend" because him and Pinella slay everyone in that song.

I can't comment man. I'm a vocalist, not a guitar player. But to me all the solos sound very much alike. Maybe I just have a terrible ear for runs. I honestly with Romeo would sometimes just play some slowed down, bluesy-ass solos with some soul every now and again. All the tapping and runs every song gets repetitive to me.

Definitely agree.
The constant shredding, and almost always at the 75% point in the song's timeline got old during PL. Two more albums like that in a row? I dunno what to say.

Charon is also one of my faves. I like the middle eastern feel.

Why do people like you frequent the forums of a band you haven't enjoyed for the past 8+ years? It is absolutely mindboggling to me.

I legitimately want to know, not trying to be a jerk.

What should I be listening to instead? SX is still so much better than the next best thing to me with very few exceptions.

It certainly can be said that it's "mindboggling" how much you defend this new disc... We all have opinions and we get what yours was a week ago..

I gave it a few listens this weekend and I can do without hearing Nevermore, Without you and To Hell and Back ever again...

Symphony X is no where near the top of my list of listening preference like they were at the turn of the century (the V concert I went to was amazing) and there is so much more exciting music being made these day...

I frequent this site to get new music references and it does sadden me when those "what have you bought lately" threads disappear...

Oh yeah... No trying to be a jerk just answering your silly question...:D

Hard to say anything about the album that hasn't been said as far as initial impressions go. I've gone through it 4 times and definitely enjoying it more than PL and Iconoclast at this point. I'll echo some others that it would have been nice for a few of the songs to breathe a bit more with instrumental sections but still a solid offer all in all. I don't think I dislike any single track on the album and my favorite at this point is probably a toss up between Charon and Legend.

I'm definitely still surprised how many people are hoping and expecting for them to make some sort of return to the glory prog days. It's a lovely thought but it's just not going to happen. I'm happy that I took Romeo's quotes only far enough for me to be generally satisfied by the sound of the new album.

Current rankings: V>Odyssey>DWoT>>Underworld>TiO>Iconoclast>DG>PL>X

This album, Live, will slay.
For real, it's gonna be an awesome/epic show for sure.

Nuclear Blast is a bunch of idiots tho...
- where's the making-of videos or interviews (at Mike's studio)
- where's the promo clip (fuck those lazy lyric videos)
- where's the projector or big screen for their shows ??
- where's the fuckin DVD ???

Also sick of all the same questions in the interviews.
"When did you start playing ?"
-Romeo probably thinking: "wtffff not this again ?" everytime

I think I might rank the albums like this:

1. V: The New Mythology Suite
2. The Odyssey
3. Divine Wings of Tragedy
4. Underworld
5. Twilight in Olympus
6. Paradise Lost
7. Iconoclast
8. Damnation Game
9. Symphony X

When I first heard the album it didnt strike me. I was dissapointed because my expectations were sooo high becaouse of all those reviews. I knew i have to give it a lot more chance and now after 20+ plays of album, i must say, i LOVE it! Guys did it again!
cool transition from Overture to Nevermore - cool song, most wicked Romeos playin ever!

Underworld- interesting heavy/goth song, great chorus.

Without You-beautiful, this song is something this band hasnt done, ever. Its something new, i cant believe after all these years Romeo can pull off something new. Its like Scorpions at their best, but better, because its SyX. Romeo, use acoustic more often!!

Kiss of Fire- very cool chorus, again something completly new from this band.Rest of the song is just tipical metal.

Charon- WOW! what a song, so exciting, what a ride, that prechorus, so weird so interesting, guitar and drums play different thing but it melts so good, chorus really opens up the song, and outro, bravo Romeo!

To hell and back - it could have been better but that "on and on...." part saves the whole thing, love you Russell....and what about how they put together that heavy riff and intro melody in the outro, love that part.

in my darkest hour- my FAVOURITE song on the album! so simple, so powerful. ok, riff is just a regular iconoclast riff, nothing special but prechorus and chorus, pure heavy metal song, back to classic metal roots!. And great solo.. Reminds my of serprent kiss and i love serprent kiss.

Run with the devil- didnt like it at first but its growing on me. Cool groove, i actually love when prog band writes and performe rock and roll song. Lepond is doing a great job on playin Romeos slide parts on a main riff.

SwanSong- just beautiful tune. Reminds on Accolade saga but they didnt try to copy Accolade songs. A lot of band falls into that trap, but obviusly not SyX, they move forward by keeping roots;).Not good as When all is Lost but still great!

Legend- great prog rock song, great chorus, leaves a listeners wanting more and more....

I love Pinellas synth sound, so powerful, it realy cuts your ears, great solos from that guy.

Whole album from start to finish is such a great ride, Rome did it, now i know what hes talking about in all those interviews. Every song is so diiferent, someone mentioned that and i agree. Romeo is capable to write what ever he wants...
At the end, who doesent like Paradise Lost i think he wont like Underworld (i love PL)...When PL was out, Romeo said that they will stick to heavy metal/Sabbath/Priest roots, that means shorter songs, not proggy 10+ minutes songs. Its obvious that they are trying to bring their music to weider metal community, they want heavy metal fans, not just prog metal fans. And the way they are doing it is soooo good! I love old SyX but i Love new SyX too! They are playing great songs now an they dont care is it heavy, ballad, prog or something else..Some of you guys said "this and that song could have been longer, more instrumental parts...", NO! That way Underworld would be "Death Magnetic", i hope u get it;).. Thank you Symphony X, keep doing your thing the way you want!

At the end, who doesent like Paradise Lost i think he wont like Underworld

Funny enough PL is my least favorite album of theirs and I love this one. I'm just as much a metal fan as I am a prog fan, but for some reason a bunch of songs (set the world on fire, domination, serpents kiss, seven, sacrifice) just don't do anything for me. The rest of the songs are still great but it's not enough to elevate the album above their worst outing for these ears.

Underworld on the contrary sounds fresh, heavy as hell when it needs to be, melodic when it needs to be, a with good amount of audible contributions from each band member, etc.

I wasn't such a big fan of In My Darkest Hour, Run With the Devil and Swan Song on the first few listens, but all three songs have grown on me.

That said, I can't not hear the attempt to rhyme "a thing" with "anything" in Swan Song...