UNDERWORLD discussion thread

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm not native english speaker. But weak lyrics has never really ruined a song for me. I can live with cheesy or bad lyrics, if just the music is good enough. But of course if the lyrics are well written it gives the song more meaning. Actually come to think of it, its worse if mediocre song has great lyrics, kinda a waste.

Too much "prog-snobbery" going on here. It's BAD.
To say that songs like: Iconoclast, Children of a Faceless God, Walls of Babylon, or Charon are not the BEST $HIT YOU EVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE is not doing it justice.

Because those songs ARE the best I ever heard in my life.
NOBODY does anything like that. Not even HALF as good. You either love Symphony X, or you just cry and complain because you don't really like this style of heavy metal.
Someone said SWAN SONG was no good. BWAH-HAHAHAHAHAHA! Stupidest thing I have heard anyone say in a LONG time.

Gimme a break people. It's like a wank-fest up in here.
UNDERWORLD is a killer album, from the #1 metal band in the world. PERIOD.
The only thing you should be discussing is how ridiculously AMAZING this new album is from start to finish.
:Shedevil:

All in all, I'd say the album is 2.5/5 for me. Growing on me a bit, but still don't like it much.

It's an improvement from Iconoclast for sure, but not something I like that much as a whole.

You've always liked the noodly shit that I don't care for. Give me melody or give me death. I like heavy, and I like fast, but there need to be dynamics and there need to be changes in tempo and arrangement to emphasize just how hard and heavy the epic parts are. Otherwise, it all sounds like a wall of noise, which is a different genre altogether.

I also like changes in tempo and arrangements for the same reasons as you but it does seem that the two of us have very few bands that we both like...

I just found it perfect that my three least favorites were you favorites...

To say that songs like: Iconoclast, Children of a Faceless God, Walls of Babylon, or Charon are not the BEST YOU EVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE is not doing it justice.

NOBODY does anything like that. Not even HALF as good. You either love Symphony X, or you just cry and complain because you don't really like this style of heavy metal.
Someone said SWAN SONG was no good. BWAH-HAHAHAHAHAHA! Stupidest thing I have heard anyone say in a LONG time.

The only thing you should be discussing is how ridiculously AMAZING this new album is from start to finish.

I'm sorry that your personal opinion is under threat by other people's personal opinions. Grow some confidence in your taste? You should also probably broaden your horizons. I won't tell you what to listen to, but listen to a wider variety.

I also like changes in tempo and arrangements for the same reasons as you but it does seem that the two of us have very few bands that we both like...

I just found it perfect that my three least favorites were you favorites...

No worries bro. Is all good.

To say that songs like: Iconoclast, Children of a Faceless God, Walls of Babylon, or Charon are not the BEST YOU EVER HEARD IN YOUR LIFE is not doing it justice.

Understand, that a majority of us here who have been with the band and forums since Odyssey and prior have an expectation of this band that has not been met yet. Yes, the songs you named off are good songs, but a far far cry from THE BEST. This band was formed on progressive and symphonic roots, so for those of us who wish they would steer back towards that sound, the newer stuff just isn't the same quality. This album is very good IMHO, but far from Odyssey or V quality. That's just a fact.

Take a track like Charon. It's well received because it sounds very similar to something on the V album. It's that X element that helps the song stand out.

I recommend listening to the Odyssey, V, or Damnation Game fully before making a statement like this album is THE BEST album. Of course, everyone has an opinion though...so maybe you just prefer less symphonic and melodic features, which may be why you listed only the heavier songs off the last 2 albums, which are in most of us here's eyes, their weakest albums depending on who you ask.

This album is very good IMHO, but far from Odyssey or V quality. That's just a fact.

Take a track like Charon. It's well received because it sounds very similar to something on the V album. It's that X element that helps the song stand out.

So your "humble opinion" is a fact?

And no, Charon is not that similar to Egypt. It is just I guess you are not familiar with some oriental music. Anyone can say that any European classical piece of music is very similar to one other, if he/she is not familiar with Western music, in the same way.

And this forum has once again become just as i expected, which is a shame and it doesn't look "cool", even if you think it is... (This particular last sentence is a generalization, and thus not directed to any particular person.)

While it might not really sound that similar to Egypt, parts of the song sounds like they could be from V album.
Which parts specifically? You aren't the only one to say this, but I don't hear any parts like that at all. I do hear similarities to various things from the Odyssey and a bit of Pharaoh, but nothing resembling V.

Which parts specifically? You aren't the only one to say this, but I don't hear any parts like that at all. I do hear similarities to various things from the Odyssey and a bit of Pharaoh, but nothing resembling V.

The prechorus with the polyrythm kinda sounds like the first few riffs on Absence of Light after the intro. Then the chorus just have same kind of mood what I could hear on V, especially the bass line. And lastly the solo section could be either from V or Odyssey I think.

So your "humble opinion" is a fact?

And no, Charon is not that similar to Egypt. It is just I guess you are not familiar with some oriental music. Anyone can say that any European classical piece of music is very similar to one other, if he/she is not familiar with Western music, in the same way.

And this forum has once again become just as i expected, which is a shame and it doesn't look "cool", even if you think it is... (This particular last sentence is a generalization, and thus not directed to any particular person.)

Yes, I do believe it is a fact that both Odyssey and V are better than this album as I said. Nobody will debate that, as V is this band's defining record per countless polls and opinions throughout these forums. The only people who would say otherwise are those who are just now getting into Symphony X and heard only new material.

Also, I never said Charon sounded like Egypt, I said it is reminiscent of the V album as far as chord progression, tone, theme...hell he even says "Through me you pass - to the Lacrymose plains" which is directly tied to the V story. Not that the track and album are connected, but thematically it rings true. The tone and notes that are played and sung throughout Charon are some of the same chord progressions that are constant with V...Egypt just happens to standout to people because they both have that eastern vibe going pretty prominent throughout the track. The pre-chorus alone sounds like it could be an extension of the section in Egypt where Russ sings "Rise my minions from within the deep abyss" towards the end of the track.

To me, Charon does sound like it could have been on the V album. The V album is one of my favorites from Symphony X.
My all-time favorite Symphony X album is still Divine Wings, with V probably my second favorite.

To the person who said I need to listen to different stuff: I have listened to everything. What else am I supposed to listen to?

I realize for some of the long-time fans of Symphony X, the newer stuff may be too heavy for you.
It is clear that this band is going in a much heavier direction. Less "Lady of the Snow" and more "King of Terrors" style.
This may be a problem for some of you, but for me, I'm LOVING IT! Beeeecuuuuz: I grew up in the 80's listening to Annihilator, Pantera, Death, Morbid Angel, Helloween, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, King Diamond, etc.
The only way a song can be too heavy for me is, if it has no melody. I have heard plenty of horrible death-metal over the years that sucks because it has no melody. If you can go brutally heavy, and maintain a great catchy melody.... you got me!
Very few bands can do this properly. The BEST of the BEST is Symphony X. Romeo understands exactly how to do this perfectly. He has studied this. So have I.
This is why Symphony X has been MY favorite band for 20 years. Slayer is heavy. But they also SUCK. Some Slayer songs have a melody, and those are the only ones I can stand to listen to.
I don't like THRASH at all. I don't like crappy BLACK METAL either. Dressing up in undead ghost-warrior costumes and screaming religious blasphemies over blast-beats is not my idea of music.

While people here continue to debate Underworld's merits in the grand design, it has remained the #1 bestseller metal album on Amazon for an entire week since its release. Congratulations to Symphony X for a successful album and for more albums to follow in the future!

@Allen Mantis: Whether or not you are trolling, I think we would get along quite well in real life haha.

People, you are never going to get a V clone album. Romeo has clearly stated he wants every record to have a different sound and style. While I obviously support criticism of the album (unlike Mantis?), I have to agree there is a fair bit of snobbery roaming around this thread.