UNDERWORLD discussion thread

You guys could certainly take it to another thread or PM each other if you want to keep the measuring contest up. Guess most of us will just migrate over to the song poll thread so you two can have some quiet time alone.

Well, I wanted to do this via messages, but he continued posting! :D

I see no reason why the discussion should be over!

EDIT: I of course meant the Underworld discussion. Don't be jerks, guys.

^ Lol.

So anyway, I just checked and Underworld debuted at #89 on the Billboard chart...? Iconoclast made it to #76. The band seems to have gotten so much more popular so I'm pretty surprised. Was expecting something in the area of #50 for this album. Them doing better in terms of sales and such was the only small consolation for the music being subpar to me...

I don't think it's fair to call someone not open minded who doesn't like your music, especially when that person was open minded enough to listen to every single one of your links. Lastly, I completely do not understand why you posted the last sentence that you did.

It's not my music. It's fairly randomized stuff I thought was interesting. The guy is closed-minded because he's only into cock-rock metal. It's a genre I like too, but my entire reason for calling bullshit is because he said he'd "heard it all", yet his tastes are extremely narrow. I think what I wrote is fairly accurate.

Mantis wrote about Hobbit Soundtracks. I actually dislike the 3rd one. The first one had the best music, and that's because they actually attempted to include some acapella songs from the book, only 1 or 2, but better than nothing.

Power metal: Pretty much I hate this genre, with the exception of maybe Blind Guardian, Luca Turilli, and uh, is Avantasia power metal? I find it too flashy and soulless, generally. More a genre for musical ability than melody. Not my thing.

Nightwish: Fucking hate this band. I won't even start.

Rush: Counterparts is one of my favorite albums of all time. I really love Rush.

Obviously I didn't think it was your music...lol. And I never said the music I listen to was superior, or even implied it, Liquid. Lots of judging going on here. Anyways, can we continue the Underworld discussion? I posted a series of small criticisms I have of the album above somewhere song by song, and I was curious if anyone agreed, or more importantly, disagreed with any of the things I said.

Was Iconoclast at the top of Amazon metal for as long? Do you guys think the drop in Billboard spot has to do with a decrease in popularity, or an increase in saturation and piracy? It seems like more people than ever know of the band in the spheres I frequent, so I'm guessing the latter.

Power metal generally requires very tight and sometimes flawless musicianship, and you should generally abstain from playing and composing some pretentious things if you're not a genius. But it generally emphasizes melody very much, even if it is not so diverse in that regard. I'm quite picky about power metal, but it is great if done properly. My favourite power metal bands include Nightwish, and definitely not Blind Guardian. As for more "pure" power metal, I'm even more selective on them.

As for being open-minded and broadening one's horizons; i guess it doesn't necessarily mean giving up on the previous favourite bands. Some of them can even remain as your favourite bands infinitely.

And I never said the music I listen to was superior, or even implied it, Liquid.

I would agree that you didn't call your taste of music superior but your boy friend (at least I think Mantis is a boy) certainly responds this way so it's kind of guilt by association...;):D

I just checked and Underworld debuted at #89 on the Billboard chart...? Iconoclast made it to #76.

Oh, nevermind. It's actually #36 on the pure album sales chart. That makes more sense. The new Billboard 200 charts also count streaming and digital sales nowadays so I guess the ranking shouldn't be compared to the old ones like that.

Was Iconoclast at the top of Amazon metal for as long? Do you guys think the drop in Billboard spot has to do with a decrease in popularity, or an increase in saturation and piracy?

It certainly speaks volumes of what people thought of Iconoclast and how bad it was that people gave up on the band and decided not buy Underworld...:(

Was Iconoclast at the top of Amazon metal for as long? Do you guys think the drop in Billboard spot has to do with a decrease in popularity, or an increase in saturation and piracy? It seems like more people than ever know of the band in the spheres I frequent, so I'm guessing the latter.

Well I would rather look at the number of views in their latest lyric videos. Nevermore has over 400,000 views in 2 months, so I would say they are not decreasing in popularity.

Liquid Tension, don't be all salty because I didn't like your music suggestions...:Spin:

I would agree that you didn't call your taste of music superior but your boy friend (at least I think Mantis is a boy) certainly responds this way so it's kind of guilt by association...

Can we please continue civil discussion without belittling people?

I am not offended by anyone's replies. I understand full well that other people do not like the same music I do.
I even run into people who don't like Symphony X. Which is crazy to me.

I'm done discussing music. (You already know how I feel about the new Symphony X album.)

Carry on people. Do your thing. :D

Liquid Tension, don't be all salty because I didn't like your music suggestions...:Spin:

Can we please continue civil discussion without belittling people?

Good one!! You really are missing out since not all of them have growls...

Good luck working on being civil... You can do it!

I listened to all of them. You didn't even recommend me any tracks, but coma ecliptic was my favorite of them. Already knew about it though.

And tortillaboy, yes! That is my single least favorite thing on the entire album.

Is it me or the part of the solo on Run With the Devil starting at 3:56 sounds very similar to the first few measures of Nevermore solo?

Agreed, except that in Nevermore it fits better and is far less annoying. I like Run with the Devil as a song, I really do - it's fun and upbeat. But it is also easily the weakest link on this album, and sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of overall tonality when compared to the rest of the record.

I'm to the point now where I have a playlist with RwtD omitted for full album listening purposes. I just listen to RwtD alone when I'm in a more rock type of mood.

Agreed, except that in Nevermore it fits better and is far less annoying. I like Run with the Devil as a song, I really do - it's fun and upbeat. But it is also easily the weakest link on this album, and sticks out like a sore thumb in terms of overall tonality when compared to the rest of the record.

Everything you have said about Underworld matches with my opinions perfectly.

How much you like it overall
How it is compared to the last couple of albums
How it is compared to the classics
What things about it are somewhat bad
What things about it are outright bad
What things could be changed to make it better
What songs are the best
What songs are the worst

It is like I would almost just tell people that you speak for me on all matters of taste.

On a somewhat off topic note: I finally received my CD/T Shirt package from NB after ordering way back in early June. I think they literally forgot about my order or something because I had to contact them days after the release day to get them to finally actually send the package out. Even still, it took a long time to ship. I should have gotten a discount or free shipping or something for the inconvenience as I could have just bought the album on sale for $10 at FYE instead. They should have AT LEAST given me an explanation of what happened? lol