Unfair Expectations?

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
It seems there are some bands whose fans have ridiculously high expectations of each new release. In this category, I would say that Opeth fans are the worst (or the best). We seem to expect nothing short of one godly release after another. We tend to hammer each new release, proclaiming “it's not as good Morningrise" or “it’s not as epic as Still Life". Then, after we've had the new disc for a year, we often decide that it's just as classic as the old stuff, and begin to hammer the next disc. Another band that I would say falls into this category is Iced Earth. Iced Earth's "Horror Show" took way too many hits, in my eyes. If an unknown band had released that disc, with songs as amazing and epic as "Wolf", "Damien", "Dracula" and "Phantom of the Opera Ghost", I feel that disc would have gained them glowing reviews. But instead, “Horror Show” was largely written off by many as a "disappointment".

So, here's my question; should each new CD released by a given band be listened to and reviewed in a vacuum (metaphorically speaking)? Should a new CD not be subject to the expectations of past triumphs and/or failures? Or does a band's entire catalog need to be taken into account when reviewing their latest release?

GZ

Originally posted by General Zod
So, here's my question; should each new CD released by a given band be listened to and reviewed in a vacuum (metaphorically speaking)? Should a new CD not be subject to the expectations of past triumphs and/or failures? Or does a band's entire catalog need to be taken into account when reviewing their latest release?

GZ

I agree with the last part, if only because it is difficult to base judgements without taking our past experiences into account. Logistically listening without preconceived notions would be ideal, but it remains difficult because of our inherent bias.

If an unknown band had released that disc, with songs as amazing and epic as "Wolf", "Damien", "Dracula" and "Phantom of the Opera Ghost", I feel that disc would have gained them glowing reviews.

Nah, if another band had released that, they'd have been labeled Iced Earth clones. ;)

No vacuum.