Opeth soundtrack

metal_wrath said:
Those seem to be topics commonly covered in power metal, Opeth's music IMO would fit better with Ghosts, Demons, Terror, Apostles in Triumph:lol: , Knights, Struggle with undying love, Terror, Death (of course)...

The lord of the rings or The Ring are IMO too commercial for Opeth, also Opeth's music would overshadow these films I think.

On second thoughts I'd say "The Hitcher" any day of the week. Which reminds me I must buy that film!

I'd say Opeth's music is worth making a new movie for. Why not use the theme of Blackwater Park or the concepts of Still Life or MAYH to make a masterful movie that is fit for Opeth's music?

I think.... I dunno, something provocative, epic (but not in the kind of cliched way that most 'epic' films are), challenging, original, and well made.

The only movie I can bring to mind that, for me, would suit Opeth at all is Oldboy, but even that is too... industrial feeling. There ARE some great moments I could see some Opeth working over. Unfortunately, that movie has a wonderful score already, so...

It would have to be something new, that had all the elements I listed above, for it to satisy me that Opeth soundtracked it.

David Lynch and Opeth is not a good combination! The filmmusic (by Angelo Badalamenti) on his films are as perfect as they can become, and has the best atmosphere. I defently think Opeth doesn't fit the soundpicture of Lynch films like The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Mulholland Dr., The Straight Story (!) or Dune at all. Opeth's sound would get it all ruined one or the other way. But I can slightly agree that Eraserhead would be interesting and Lost Highway is the one that might have worked best...

Besides I feel Opeth's music might have served a psychological horror film with forest setting best! Something like those old X-files episodes were there's mystery in the forests with UFO n' stuff. Sorry to say no films comes to mind at the time being...

But what if combining Opeth with silent films? There's a interesting mix.:) And I ain't talking about Charlie Chaplin of Buster Keaton silents, i mean silent-horror films! Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens (1922) - imagine BWP's tunes scoring this. Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920) - I think the Deliverance could be interesting to this one. With Non-horror (not comedy) like Metropolis (1927) with My arms-your hearse, Un Chien Andalou (1929) with Still Life, MAN!:loco: ... or Hitchcock's Blackmail (1929) with Morningrise...

Some of you probably does'nt watch silents, that's too bad - I recommend the films mentioned above if you haven't seen any of them! :p

How would opeths music suit a film. It doesnt build up to anywhere near the standard a proper film score would. Not enough goes on in Opeth to build the tension properly in Film. It just wouldnt work. Hans Zimmer, even tho his scores can be a little samey He brings in the perfect melodys at the correct time. Film scores are wonderful.

Powers said:
Explain yourself NineFeet.

well jesus...just LISTEN to their albums!! how would that fit a movie?!? maybe if you got a creepy, cheesey horror film and took ALL the dialogue out, and chopped the film up into little bitty pieces, then maybe it might have an ounce of relevancy. but otherwise, no...absolutely ridiculous discussion and topic here.

Well, I agree that to just take Opeth's current music and stick it in a random film wouldn't work. I was kinda looking at this thread like 'were Opeth to soundtrack/score a film, what kind of film do you think would be appropriate to the type of soundtrack they would be likely to compose'. Obviously, were it to be made for a film, it would have to be somewhat different, but it would probably still sound quite like Opeth.

I mean, nobody reckons you could just take a film and, like... stick Blackwater Park on top of it... right? :erk:

NineFeetUnderground said:
well jesus...just LISTEN to their albums!! how would that fit a movie?!? maybe if you got a creepy, cheesey horror film and took ALL the dialogue out, and chopped the film up into little bitty pieces, then maybe it might have an ounce of relevancy. but otherwise, no...absolutely ridiculous discussion and topic here.

Yea, but we're just having a daft discussion not trying to get to the bottom of "the essence of the great film score".