Unfamous metal bands

Sacramentum said:
Sacramentum...truly underrated Swedish heavy black/death metal band. Better than Dissection if you ask me! I've gotten some people pretty pissed off for saying this! lol

Sacramentum is quite good. I only have The Coming of Chaos and Thy Black Destiny. I think I like TCOC better. I really want to get my hands on Far Away From the Sun cuz I hear it's really good. I can't download it though because of my shitty dial-up connection.

EDIT: Actually, I'm listening to Thy Black Destiny right now. I haven't listened to it in like 3 years. It's really fuckin' good. I think I like it just as much as TCOC. I wonder why the fuck I haven't thrown this thing on for so long.

Molested - Brutal death metal from Norway whose sound was quite different to the other bands in the same sub-genre. It was also the first band of Øystein Garnes Bruun who later went on to form Borknagar.

Sorhin kick ass. My favorite black metal band. Energetic is a good description.
headbob.gif

Somberlain said:
Sorhin. Extremely energetic, refreshing Swedish black metal.
Malignant Eternal
Det Hedenske Folk
Mock/Kampfar
Deride
headbob.gif

Belenos - French melancholic BM, quite Burzumy.
Black Murder - An FBL band that rarely gets mentioned round these parts.
Branikald - Burzum-esque with a heavily Russian sound to it - very good indeed.
Decameron - Above-average Gothenburg band.
Forefather - Anglo-saxon pride in abundance.
Galgeras - Unusual, eerie BM with lots of keys.
God Dethroned - "The Christhunt" is a really asskicking bit of old-school death.
Hirilorn - Epic BM with emphasis on leadwork.
Mordaehoth - BM with a Polish vibe and lots of acoustic work.
Nehemah - French again, occult BM with an epic touch.
Shatargat - Another one of Nazgul's bands (of Satanic Warmaster, Horna, Pest, etc), fairly dark Pagan stuff.
Suicidal Winds - Massacra-esque... decent.
Throne of Ahaz - Cool Pagan BM from Sweden.
Wolfnacht's "Heidentum" album - Really good Heathen black metal with a unique atmosphere.

Anyone heard of Yyrkoon?

Brilliant progressive death metal from France. If anyone knows how to obtain their "Dying Sun"-album, I'd be most grateful to hear!

Other than that these bands are worth mentioning:

Skyforger:
Pagan battle metal from Latvia. Very Good.

Nest:
Atmospheric folkloristic mostly instrumental acoustic good night music. Just released a split with agalloch on vinyl.

VLE:
One man project. Very ambient, progressive, death/doom/whatever

Sad Legend:
Well I've seen several on this board mentioning them so they are not completely unknown, but definately not as known as they should be. VERY melodic atmosperic bm from Korea.

Infernal Gates:
Only made one album back in the 90's "From the Mist of Dark Waters".This is a must have though. The first track "Greet the Storm" is a total classic. Melodic death metal but not tongue-in-cheek.

Korova/KorovaKill
Nice avantgardistic bm/dm

Goffdahl said:
VLE:
One man project. Very ambient, progressive, death/doom/whatever

This band is very good, although I can't find anything before their latest album.

Demiurge said:
Yeah, there is absolutely no inflection in 122. The vocals are exactly the same throughout. They should have recruited me to do them. Seriously, I'm not saying I'm a great vocalist, but I've more range than that. Do you share music online? I wouldn't mind sampling some Saprogenic or Vastion.

I don't think they were meant to be varied, haha. That part of the band is typical, but, as I said, the rest is neat.

I share on DC++ and sometimes on SLSK.

Saprogenic mp3s @ Soundclick.com

Vastion mp3 Samples (RealPlayer only, apparently)

Also...GoD mentioned Hirilorn. Fan-fucking-tastic epic black metal with awesome lead guitarwork (as mentioned).

Good luck with Mjölnir. I managed to get someone to burn me a copy, but I haven't seen an original floating around ever. Undercover Records is going to reissue it in early 2005, which is great news. Cryptkeeper, do you have an original of it?

Molested is one of the best brutal bands.

I got "Two" by Ordog and "Into the Old Forest" by Old Forest recently, and so far, they're both enjoyable. Wasn't aware of any decent UK BM until these two.

Dawn. They're a melodic bm band sort of in the vein of Dissection but with way less of the trad metal influence. The only release I have by them is an ep called Sorgh Pa Svarte Vingar Flogh. It's decent but nothing amazing. They also have a full length called Slaughtersun, I believe. I'm not sure if they're still around though.

I've only heard Blod Draum by Molested and i'm curious to hear their following EP Stormvold. Any opinions?