Up the Irons! Nicko Mc Brain's (drums only) tracks on Youtube!

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hi Guys :) Maybe you found out long ago...I don´t know, BUT..*drumroll*

I randomly found the drums only tracks of songs like Powerslave, The Clarvoyant and Wasted years. It´s amazing how drumtracks with such a SHITLOAD of reverb actually work :lol: Since Powerslave is dry like a desert, the ssoass & sit drumsound is a rainforest.

I love the fact, you can recognize a human on that drumset. The imperfection makes it perfect in the end..(finally in the mix IMO) I´m really inspired by his playing. I would love to know, if he used a klicktrack. I heard rumors, he sometimes refused a klick, can someone confirm this?

Ahhhh heeeeeelp!!! :D Without words ;)

This sounds MUCH better than 'Can I play with Madness'. Less reverb, nice punch. I think it´s remastered, cause otherwise I could not explain the immense difference on the same album.

Okay..sons of the 80´s, Maiden fans, or whatever...discuss 80´s drumsounds! :kickass:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love this! Those fills at 5:00 on Powerslave are amazing!

Check some of his other video's, he's got the drums from 2 Minutes To Midnight up aswell, The Trooper too! Sounds awesome! There is something amazing about having a truly great drummer who know's how to play properly!

I LOVE how roomy the drums are on Powerslave. Not such a big fan of the mega reverb on SIT.

Awesome!! The POM drumsound sounds great as a single stereotrack. I even prefer it to the Powerslave drumtrack, although I´m diggin the Powerslave mix more and tha what it´s about in the end. A drumsound alone doesn´t win the price, but it probably helps :)

Btw here is Nicko performing "The Trooper" nowadays. This exactly shows me, why the hell I think he´s one of the best imo! It´s difficult to predict what he´s gonna do next. It´s just exciting! I´m loving his cymbal playing on the ride. The start is a bit jolty, but at 1:30 he´s preety much in the groove and it´s an enjoyment watching him playing.

Hi Guys :) Maybe you found out long ago...I don´t know, BUT..*drumroll*

I randomly found the drums only tracks of songs like Powerslave, The Clarvoyant and Wasted years. It´s amazing how drumtracks with such a SHITLOAD of reverb actually work :lol: Since Powerslave is dry like a desert, the ssoass & sit drumsound is a rainforest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLvfGvS4ByY

I love the fact, you can recognize a human on that drumset. The imperfection makes it perfect in the end..(finally in the mix IMO) I´m really inspired by his playing. I would love to know, if he used a klicktrack. I heard rumors, he sometimes refused a klick, can someone confirm this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko-qEhANAP4

Okay now it´s gonna be interesting^. DID YOU EVER listen to a drumsound that sounds so fucking ugly as a single stereotrack, but still working PERFECTLY in the mix? IMO Somewhere in Time sounds much better than newer outputs like "Dance of Death" or "a matter of life and death". This is just amazing, cause the snare let me puke the shit out of my head :zombie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3u3PNSmEY

Ahhhh heeeeeelp!!! :D Without words ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0cw9uXxfmI

This sounds MUCH better than 'Can I play with Madness'. Less reverb, nice punch. I think it´s remastered, cause otherwise I could not explain the immense difference on the same album.

Okay..sons of the 80´s, Maiden fans, or whatever...discuss 80´s drumsounds! :kickass:

CIPWM was the single off of that album in the late 80's and needed to sound big. The 80's sound for big was lush AMS/Lexicon reverbs. Imagine being in the same competitive space as Def Leopard's Hysteria. Bad ass tour as well, Freely's Comet opened. I missed the SWIT tour with Ywngwie Malmsteen and Maiden.

Since we are on a Nicko McBrain love thread (and that's perfectly fine by me!!! ), check out Where Eagles Dare!!! He makes it look easy!!! :headbang:

Where Eagles Dare is really one of THE great drum performances imo. Nicko really has fantastic groove and feel, qualities that have been almost entirely removed from modern metal :(

There are videos with guitars/vox/bass only, as well. Not sure if this thread was for just Nicko love, or if you hadn't found those yet.

Nicko really has fantastic groove and feel, qualities that have been almost entirely removed from modern metal

Unfortunately....you´re right, dude.

There are videos with guitars/vox/bass only, as well. Not sure if this thread was for just Nicko love, or if you hadn't found those yet.

Yeah, I saw this as well. Since I started preparing my room for drums, I´m totally into drumming atm, but nothing speaks against to discuss the other tracks, as well :)