Upcoming Movies...

We saw Coraline last night. Absolutely spectacular. The 3D was used extremely well but the movie can easily stand on its own if you don't have the chance to see it in 3D. The animation is so fluid that you don't even think it's stop motion. At the beginning I was thinking that I was informed incorrectly about it being stop motion and that it was computer animation made to look like stop motion clay figures.

Saw Slumdog Millionaire and Frost/Nixon the other night. Frost/Nixon was good, but Slumdog Millionaire was excellent and I can see why it will probably win the best picture Oscar.

Was going to see some of the other nominees, such as Milk and The Wrestler, but accidentally hit someones car and don't have a car at the moment.

Coraline is a stunning work of cinema. Plus, it's the kind of kids' movie they rarely make anymore - one that isn't afraid to scare kids! The 3-D enhances an already great movie, and shows why stop-motion animation is better suited to 3-D than computer animation.

Coraline was strong for the first 2/3rds of it. Sadly, the movie then goes into a simple, generic, quest format and starts to lose what it had built up. I thought the first 2/3rds elevated it beyond simple kids movies. I do loev the art style though, and the 3-D for the most part was very well done; in that it created true visual depth. However, at times they decided to go for the 'oooh look at this object coming at you'. The movie seemed to be done in a way to appeal both to adults, and children, to fans of 3D who merely like objects flung over their head, to people who demand a more artful and cinematic approach to it. In the end, I'm sure many people will love the movie, but I can't see myself revisiting it, because I won't want to watch it after she receives her quest.

Martin, you'll like this movie. I found it unbearable at points, though a few times found myself giggling silly.

You see even more movies than I do.

I'm not going to see this, and I won't see his first one. I'd rather remember the times I watched Peter Sellers. And I'd much rather prefer to remember Steve Martin for his outstanding comedies he did of old, such as Roxanne and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. And hell, he wrote one of the better movies I saw this year, Traitor.

Coraline is the one movie I've been really looking forward to yet I still haven't seen it. :rolleyes: I'm not a fan of 3D movies so I'll definitely be watching it at a 2D theater.

Checked off a few more from my Oscar list:

The Visitor: This is an interesting movie. It wasn't straight comedy or straight drama. It had some strong anti-American undertones, but they weren't out of place like the junk in Madagascar 2. The ending doesn't wrap-up anything, it just simply ends at a convenient junction of the story. The acting was good, but not great, considering the lead actor is nominated for Best Actor performance. I liked this movie a lot, but had a few issues with their message. At least the story is unique.

The Duchess: Ooooooh the costumes!!! Such beautiful work, it's no wonder it's been nominated for Best Costume Design. Achievement in Artistic Direction too, I think. It's based on a true story but isn't particularly exciting. The only reason to watch this movie is the costumes and (if you can believe it) Keira Knightley's performance.

Wanted: What a piece of garbage. Utterly stupid, contrived, junk. It's nominated for Achievement in Visual Effects... which weren't all that amazing and groundbreaking, imo. The visual effects processors were ok ( a lot of "OMG Slow motion camera pan during an action scene to convince us that this is Soooo intense!" crap), but the film overdoes it, the story is pathetic, and casting Angelia Jolie as a "'ooooh she's sooo intense!' badass assassin" is just plain ridiculous. I put this movie on the short list of epic failures.

Hellboy II: nominated for Achievement in Make-up (or something like that). Put this movie on the short list of sequels that are better than the original! I wish this would have been nominated for visual effects because they did an outstanding job. Granted some of the effects have been used to death in other movies, at least Hellboy II had a purpose when using the effects which aided the storyline. Speaking of the storyline, it was somewhat creative though probably inspired by the Lord of the Rings. (LOL) The make-up effects were amazing and the creatures are really interesting (especially the tooth fairies). I really liked this movie and would buy it for my library. On a side-note, the Blu-Ray transfer for this movie is the best I have seen yet!
More to come!

Hellboy II: nominated for Achievement in Make-up (or something like that). Put this movie on the short list of sequels that are better than the original! I wish this would have been nominated for visual effects because they did an outstanding job. Granted some of the effects have been used to death in other movies, at least Hellboy II had a purpose when using the effects which aided the storyline. Speaking of the storyline, it was somewhat creative though probably inspired by the Lord of the Rings. (LOL)

I think you misspelled "Elric," there. :)

The make-up effects were amazing and the creatures are really interesting (especially the tooth fairies). I really liked this movie and would buy it for my library. On a side-note, the Blu-Ray transfer for this movie is the best I have seen yet!

I loved the movie. Ironically, there have been some criticisms of the 'elf' makeup as being a bit too heavy but I thought it worked fine....I rewatched the DVD recently and it didn't stick out IMO. I'm saddened it wasn't nominated for Visual Efffects....were the Academy folks sleeping during, say, the Elemental scenes or the scenes in the Troll Market? Sheesh!

We may be going to see The Reader on Valentine's Day. Not exactly a great Valentine's movie but whatever. We're not interested in any of the releases this week (well... I want to see Confessions of a Shopaholic but that's reserved for a girl's night) but we were trying to see all the nominated films. We still also have Frost/Nixon, Curious Case of BB and Milk as well. CCoBB will likely be out of theaters by Saturday as it's only got one showtime at 9. No way I'm seeing that on a work night.
Although..... Dark Knight is playing in the new imax screen at one of our local theaters....... :-/

I am also looking forward to the international, and also watchmen. I enjoyed Paul Blart, but I advise you, if you don't like kevin james you won't like it, but if you like him you will love it.

haven't really looked through the thread, but does anyone have any insight about Tim Burton's version of Alice in Wonderland other than this...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014759/

you can expect none other than Johnny Depp to play the part of The Mad Hatter

Not really. There's a wiki entry for it but it doesn't have that much info up. All I know is that it's supposed to have both live action, motion capture, and stop motion. That's also about the only info that's on the wiki.

Caught a few more in the last couple of days. The Reader, Coraline, and Paul Blart Mall Cop.

The Reader was complete garbage until about half-way through. I was nauseated by the copious amounts of needless sex scenes (don't really want to see Kate Winslet's pepperoni nipples or some adolescent boy's schlong.. muchless the two of them slappin' thighs every 5.2 minutes). The turning point is in a courtroom, and by the end of the film, the beginning doesn't seem as ludicrous. This film was.. "ok" but I definitely don't think it was worth Best Picture of the Year. Puh-lease! Kate Winslet carries the film completely so her nomination for Best Actress is the only award that seems to be appropriate, imo. Too bad she'll probably win it, Meryl Streep is twice the actress with three-times the performance in Doubt.

Coraline is very creepy in exactly the way you can expect from Neil Gaimon. I saw it in 2D, so I can't comment on the 3D effects (though it was pretty clear which scenes included a "3D Wow Factor".. like the needle at the beginning, a few parts of the mice show, etc..). I was alone in the theater and still felt uncomfortable that a movie marketed to kids as a huge-boobed old maid wearing pasties and singing about girls needing to have big breasts in order to get a man. The animation was amazing! I'll take stop-motion clay animation over computer generated movie anyday! It is so much more impressive, imo. Anyway, super spooky story, very creative, go see it if you like a little macabre in your kids' movies :)

Paul Blart Mall Cop is exactly what I expected. Home Alone with a fat guy in a shopping mall. The under-rated, under-appreciated cast out saves the day from robbers by using supplies found around the immediate vicinity coupled with dumb luck. This is a good movie to watch in the background at a party where no one is paying attention to it. I only watched this because, well, it was either this or The Uninvited.

Going to see a sneak peak of The International tonight, and then right afterwards catching one of the last showings of Changeling. I hope that's better than the rest of Angelina Jolie's movies.

I think you misspelled "Elric," there. :)

I loved the movie. Ironically, there have been some criticisms of the 'elf' makeup as being a bit too heavy but I thought it worked fine....I rewatched the DVD recently and it didn't stick out IMO. I'm saddened it wasn't nominated for Visual Efffects....were the Academy folks sleeping during, say, the Elemental scenes or the scenes in the Troll Market? Sheesh!
I thought the "elf" makeup was great! He's not a human so why make him look like one? I was wrong about Wanted being nominated for visual effects. It is nominated for sound mixing. *shrugs* Doesn't change the fact that, yeah, the Academy was clearly sleeping through the last half of Hellboy II. The golden army was amazing!

The International is a fine movie. A good story, well filmed, and requires an attentive listener.