Vacation in the studio?

-J-

May 7, 2007
Sucks that you need to be an active band trying to sell something to justify doing something you like to do.

I love going into the studio to lay stuff down and not have to do the engineering part. My buddy (who I really write well with) and I have talked about renting some studio time to lay stuff down that we wouldn't have to engineer as a sort of a...vacation. But if you're not in a band, and can't really sell the results...I guess that's kind of a waste of time and money, huh?

So, to you dudes that do this for a living....you ever have anyone recording themselves just for themselves? Or is everyone you record trying to "make it big" and "do it for a living," with the end result being a product to sell?

I don't do this for a living, but I've never charged anyone anything in the past. In the last 2 years I have not recorded anyone because I got selfish. I'm working on my own shit now like I wanted to do many years ago, I'm starting to get up there in age. I don't care if it takes me 5 years or more in total. I want to finish my project and give it away via the internet. I don't want anything in return. No fame, don't want to and never have. I don't think I could deal with it anyways. I'm very private. I do this because I love it. Period.

people record their own stuff for fun all the time. They'll book the studio for a day and record covers, usually poorly played covers. Sometimes its little more than karaoke.
Its fun for them, its money to pay the bills for you.

If you think its a waste of money, then it is.

You'd be surprised what dudes having a mid-life crisis will pay a lot of money for with no aims of rock stardom. Let 'em to do their thing and take their cash :D

the vast majority of bands nowdays see no success at all and are dime a dozen so whether you aim to make it big or just do it for fun its not a big deal if all in all it is just.. fun.

the vast majority of bands nowdays see no success at all and are dime a dozen so whether you aim to make it big or just do it for fun its not a big deal if all in all it is just.. fun.

good point. I watched Psyopus's tour diary yesterday - like 10 people at their show, van needed repair, and they went home broke. they better be having fun, cause they ain't getting rich apparently!