Viking mythology and all that goes with it

So then what happens to her? She just burns? I think it says all Aesir ride to war... unless I'm just confusing it with Amon Amarth lyrics. It's been a while since i've read it. Been reading other such books like "norsemen of the viking age", which is a pretty nifty read.

Seems a tad odd given she gets half the battle slain... ah well. At some point someone will have info somewhere. Unless it's all gone like so much dust in the wind.

I have been reading Bernard Cornwell's saxon series (about the Danish conquest of England). And in the books they tell that to get to Valhalla, you must literally die with sword in hand. So if you drop your sword just before the final stroke falls, you will go to niefelheim in stead. Do the original souces also state you actually need to physically touch a sword?

I think getting ganked while in combat works for you... At least i'd love to think so. Not sure how many people continue to hold weapons in their hands upon death. Could very well be that I'm wrong though.

Fun fact i picked up, apparently the provinces in Norway are named after the original tribes of folk that lived there. So my family would hail from the Horda clan. Go me.

Rainer, it may have something to do with the fact that Freja is one of the Vanir hostages and not an Aesir. Never really given it much thought, to be honest.

Sleipnir...due date?

Puje, like Son of the North said, it's a figure od speech. It's about death in battle.

So here's a question on the only forum I can think to ask. Is there any information about what happens to Lady Freyja during ragnarok? Riding into battle on her Boar leading the charge?

Of what I gathered she plays no role in Ragnarok at all

So then what happens to her? She just burns? I think it says all Aesir ride to war... unless I'm just confusing it with Amon Amarth lyrics. It's been a while since i've read it. Been reading other such books like "norsemen of the viking age", which is a pretty nifty read.

Perhaps the guys will do a song with her on the next album :p

Seriously though, I have no clue what happens to her - maybe there is no story with her about Ragnarok at all

Seems a tad odd given she gets half the battle slain... ah well. At some point someone will have info somewhere. Unless it's all gone like so much dust in the wind.

It's kind of difficult to speculate about this, seeing as how we do not have all of the original lore.

My personal belief is that she valiantly leads her Einherjar to battle at Ragnarok. I do not know what happens after that, whether she dies or is somehow spared as some of the other goddesses will be...

It's too difficult to say without all the original stories about all the Aesir and Vanir...

Guess this would as good as a place as any ...

I have been trying to track down my family lines on both mother and fathers side. So far I have My Mothers side that comes from Germany/Hungary. She was born in Germany but her parents were hungarian and as I have read hungarian language is Finno-Urgic which suggests possible ties to Finnland? My great grandparents were also possibly from Germany at least on one side given their last names (Dresher). My Fathers side is probably English/Norman (last name is Wells) and as I understand it would be of Normandy decent. I have had another Wells tell me its possibly even of Swedish origin (pre english). Just trying to figure out if I could have ancient scandanavian/Norse ties.

I plan on getting a DNA test done to see where I actually stand but wanted some opinions on this. I fgured this would be the best place to put this.

Finnish and Hungarian base upon the same protolanguage so they belong to one family of languages. Same as for Swedish and Persian for example, which belong to the Indo-European language family, if I'm not wrong. Hm, don't know how far you can speek of ties.

About the DNA test I'm sceptical and wouldn't give my money for it. I mean, where will you get it? But ok, quite exciting certainly.

Well I know for certain (at least according to http://www.houseofnames.com/wells-family-crest) on my fathers side I am of Norman Decent so long as there were no breaks in the liniage. As I understand it, there would be a strong possiblity to Genetic ties with the Norse people. I would hope the DNA tests through http://dna.ancestry.com/ would either proof/disprove ties with the Norse people.

So upon more research if I belong to haplogroup R1a it would be almost certain that I would be of Norse decent. Upon looking up the Wells DNA Project there are a few R1a's and even a few I1 (also indicates Norse origins). However the majority is R1b which is not of Norse origins from what I can tell. So I will just have to get the test to find out. I have to say if I find out I dont have Norse ties im going to be dissapointed lol.

Guess I don't need a test to find out that I don't have Norse ties.

My mothers maiden name is Polish from her fathers side, her mother's maiden name is German. My father's surname is a common jewish surname, his mother's maiden name is assumed to derive from an english surname with the meaning "one who lives in wild places". That's all I know.

Would be quite interesting of course to check out my possibly jewish ties. I even could get a test for it. :loco:
http://www.igenea.com/en/index.php?c=40

Anyway, I never would send my DNA to any laboratory on the internet.

A while ago I was told that you have a 'personal god' depending on which day you were born. Is this true?If so, which god represents saturday?

Oh snap, I just realized I was born on Wednesday. Yeah thats old but im going through the whole thread and this caught my eye.

*edit*

Im not 100% sure im ready to be a heathen (it probably helps I have a disdain for christianity) but twice today I had some interesting things happen. After driving home from work I just started to listening to Twilight of the thunder god and not but 10-30 seconds into the song I see lighting bolt flash straight down. I think to myself, "thats pretty badass" and kinda smirked. Didnt really think anything of it. So the whole rest of the afternoon goes by, no more lighting/thunder. Just now I finished listening to Tyr - Hear The Heathen Call .... I was thinking to myself how sad it would be if heathenism died and how it could live on if we make it so. I was actually getting kind of upset thinking about it. Not two seconds after the song ended I hear thunder.

Now im not implying Thor himself was saying hey wake the fuck up dude! But one hell of a coincidence twice in one day. Still not 100% sure I believe though. I should probably mention I am infact wearing a Mjollnir.

Maybe there is another coincidence: Yesterday was Tuesday, right?
Yeah and you listened to Tyr! So ok, if you listen to Tyr every day....

People often look at heathenry like a religious flavor. Once you realize it's really not, and so much OLDER then most organized religions i think you'll find what you are looking for. There are many gods and goddess, not to mention the various land spirits and creatures. It's not a matter of being ready or not. It just is. No real big world changes are required of you.