Viking mythology and all that goes with it

Maybe there is another coincidence: Yesterday was Tuesday, right?
Yeah and you listened to Tyr! So ok, if you listen to Tyr every day....

Didnt even think of that lol. Actually yesterday was the first time ive ever listened to Tyr. Good band, actually like them well enough.

So my DNA test shows Irish, Swedish, German, and Norway being the highest matches genetically speaking. Problem is the pool they use is so small its hard to tell for sure. Haplogroup R1b1a2a1a1b4b which is Northern Ireland. Now my last name being Wells we come from Northern Ireland and trace a history back to The Battle of Normandy in 1066 before that. So I reckon there is a strong possiblity of Viking/Norseman heritage.

Hey guys, loving the discussion about norse mythology. I happen to be affiliated with a blog/podcast based in Canada dealing with the northern runes as a system of magick and the ancestral culture of the Norse people. The organized religious aspect of this is known as "Asatru" (Faith in the gods). We're looking to provide a resource for better understanding in these sorts of topics so for anyone who is interested, please check out Northern Runes Blog/Radio and tell us what you think! Hail!

What's up everyone. I'm an author of dark fiction who just did a DNA test like ErichW and discovered I have ancestors from the Scandinavian region 5,000 plus years ago. I just did a blog on it and thought it was a great way to share an AA video. AA's music has definitely been a big influence on me and part of the reason I'm writing a 5-novel retelling of Ragnarok. If you guys are up for it, I'd like to pop in and get some opinions on the mythology. Thanks.
http://marktullius.com/2012/09/valhalla-awaits-me/

I'm afraid it will only be in English for now. The print version comes out next month and if there is a large enough demand, I'd love to see it translated. For anyone that's interested, I'll be sure to post when Brightside will be free on Kindle.

Would any of you long-time/active Asatruar be willing to take part in a brief interview via email or Skype? I am needing to conduct an interview with someone of a “different religious background” than mine (I have no particular faith/belief structure) for a class that I am taking. I figured I’d try to take a chance at learning about a lesser-known (but far more interesting to me) path. I’ve enjoyed going through this thread off and on, have been impressed with the knowledge and wisdom of many of the participants and would like to learn more. It’d also be great to enjoy writing a paper as that opportunity doesn’t come around nearly as often as I’d like. :)

Replies via this thread or PM (to avoid cluttering up the thread) would be fine.

Thanks!

Would any of you long-time/active Asatruar be willing to take part in a brief interview via email or Skype? I am needing to conduct an interview with someone of a “different religious background” than mine (I have no particular faith/belief structure) for a class that I am taking. I figured I’d try to take a chance at learning about a lesser-known (but far more interesting to me) path. I’ve enjoyed going through this thread off and on, have been impressed with the knowledge and wisdom of many of the participants and would like to learn more. It’d also be great to enjoy writing a paper as that opportunity doesn’t come around nearly as often as I’d like. :)

Replies via this thread or PM (to avoid cluttering up the thread) would be fine.

Thanks!

what is this interview for...

It's for a brief paper I have to write in a communications class. Hard copy gets handed to my instructor, handed back to me. No publication, nothing online, etc. The intent is to learn about a religion from someone who follows it, as opposed to just reading about it, as well as how religion impacts communication with others and the connection between family life and religion. I figured if I could get away from the standard Abrahamic Big 3, it'd be far more interesting to me. Gotta find ways to keep interest in the general education classes.

No more than 10-12 questions, and although they might vary based on anything that would come up in a dialogue, I'd pose questions regarding what you would like people to know about your path, or whether other people's knowledge of it is of any importance at all, misconceptions you may have had to deal with, whether you were born into it, how often you participate in meetings/worship/observances. A couple of the assignment suggested questions, like: what role does religion play in your family? Specifically, how has religion helped to shape your family and the relationship among its members? Things like that.

so when do you need to do this by.

It's for a brief paper I have to write in a communications class. Hard copy gets handed to my instructor, handed back to me. No publication, nothing online, etc. The intent is to learn about a religion from someone who follows it, as opposed to just reading about it, as well as how religion impacts communication with others and the connection between family life and religion. I figured if I could get away from the standard Abrahamic Big 3, it'd be far more interesting to me. Gotta find ways to keep interest in the general education classes.

No more than 10-12 questions, and although they might vary based on anything that would come up in a dialogue, I'd pose questions regarding what you would like people to know about your path, or whether other people's knowledge of it is of any importance at all, misconceptions you may have had to deal with, whether you were born into it, how often you participate in meetings/worship/observances. A couple of the assignment suggested questions, like: what role does religion play in your family? Specifically, how has religion helped to shape your family and the relationship among its members? Things like that.

I just double checked my schedule since you asked, and I'm glad you did. It is due next Wednesday, I had thought it was due the week after (we do not meet every week and with my other classes distracting me, I've managed to get off track). Ah, well. If someone can offer a bit of time before that, that's great. If not, it's my responsibility and my screw up, and on me to get this dealt with in some manner, obviously.

I just double checked my schedule since you asked, and I'm glad you did. It is due next Wednesday, I had thought it was due the week after (we do not meet every week and with my other classes distracting me, I've managed to get off track). Ah, well. If someone can offer a bit of time before that, that's great. If not, it's my responsibility and my screw up, and on me to get this dealt with in some manner, obviously.

I am on the east coast so what does your schedule look like, Skype would be doable

I really appreciate your consideration!

Availability for me, in EST should be:
Wednesday: 10:00am-7:00pm
Thursday: Turkey consumption obligations
Friday: 10:00am-midnight
Saturday: 1:00pm-midnight
Sunday: 1:30pm-midnight
Monday: 10:00am-1:00pm

I really appreciate your consideration!

Availability for me, in EST should be:
Wednesday: 10:00am-7:00pm
Thursday: Turkey consumption obligations
Friday: 10:00am-midnight
Saturday: 1:00pm-midnight
Sunday: 1:30pm-midnight
Monday: 10:00am-1:00pm

I will PM you my skype name, send me yours and I will let you know when is a good time from what you listed.

I just wanted to post my sincere gratitude to Sleipnir for being an excellent source of insight into Ásatrú as well as being a great person to talk to. I really enjoyed this interview and learned a great deal from it.

And I also wish to thank all of you who have posted such good information over the course of this thread. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading over Winter Break, as my interest does go beyond just writing this paper.

I just wanted to post my sincere gratitude to Sleipnir for being an excellent source of insight into Ásatrú as well as being a great person to talk to. I really enjoyed this interview and learned a great deal from it.

And I also wish to thank all of you who have posted such good information over the course of this thread. I'm looking forward to doing a lot of reading over Winter Break, as my interest does go beyond just writing this paper.

so how did it go? was it received well?

I won't see the feedback on the paper for a couple of weeks, BUT, we wound up having to give a brief summary of our interviews in front of the class Wednesday night. A couple of students looked a bit shocked, which I fully expected (that's a whole 'nother subject entirely), but others seemed to either be interested right off, or as I went on in my verbal summary, I could see some attitudes changing, which was pretty cool. Having watched my instructor's face, I think she's going to like the paper. If for no other reason, it is the only one about religion that was not either Catholicism or Mormonism. Most folks seemed to stay well within their comfort zones and just ask a fellow student or coworker about their religion and leave it at that. Another interesting thing is that, since religion was an optional topic, many of the more agnostic/athiestic folks I'm friends with in the class expressed how they simply did NOT want to get into that sort of a mess, yet when I told each of them that I found someone to talk to about Germanic heathenism, I got VERY positive responses and a lot of interest out of them. "Seriously? That sounds really cool! Can I read your paper?" Haha!

I went a bit beyond the page range asked for, and could have gone further, but I knew there was only so much I should try to cram into this essay. It's really like an extended journal entry format. Due to the time constraints, I definitely don't think it's my best work, but I do expect the instructor to like it, and I hope that I was able to open some minds in that classroom the other night. I also very much hope that I did justice to you, the subject and our conversation.