Vilewoman's off-topic random retardation thread.

So...I relocated...and now job hunting..yet again...cons traffic fucking sucks in Dallas...pros...least the bf is only 7 minutes away now

And Mapquest sucks for directions...took me 2hrs to find the place I was going to apply at today when it said Oh 15min

Got my movers, got consulate paperwork, started posting furniture sales ... return to Europe is right around the corner.

Moving house is a pain, moving country a fucking nightmare... my condolences.

I think I toyed the idea of setting fire to pretty much everything that i did not immediately need or could not carry easily... and I still got charged a bloody fortune for freighting it!

Moving house is a pain, moving country a fucking nightmare... my condolences.

I think I toyed the idea of setting fire to pretty much everything that i did not immediately need or could not carry easily... and I still got charged a bloody fortune for freighting it!

I was too young when I moved countries to have accumulated enough stuff for it to be a nightmare yet, but I still ended up leaving a lot of stuff at my parents' house. I finally got it out of there, like, 20 years later, as in last year, simply because it is so damn expensive to freight stuff. Johan got a bunch of my stuff when he moved out, as I clearly was not going to be using some of the more domestic things, and what the hell is the point in freighting a five year old, unused microwave still in the box to a country that's got different plug ins than the old one? My parents sold some of that. Then there is the issue of how to freight stuff, as some are antiques and will break if it's not professionally packed - yet another expense. And then there are things that just plain old shoudn't leave the country. Guess J gets them, too, eventually. If he wants them... Anyhow, it's a pain, but still nothing compared to the paperwork the Canadian gov't makes you fill out just to get here. Now THAT was expensive!

The only problem I am having, is the hope of being able to sell all my furniture, although I will donate most of it to charity. The other task is the moving company wanting a detailed list of every single item in every box. They are asking me 1700$ for the move (100 cf. volume), from Tampa, to Miami port and home delivery in Belgium. Belgian consulate asked only $12 for the custom paperwork and the 0% VAT at customs.
The rest is paperwork; how to deal with banks and lenders, forward mail, etc.

I was too young when I moved countries to have accumulated enough stuff for it to be a nightmare yet, but I still ended up leaving a lot of stuff at my parents' house. I finally got it out of there, like, 20 years later, as in last year, simply because it is so damn expensive to freight stuff.

20 years? I shouldn't feel TOO bad about having stuff at my parents' place 7 years after I officially moved to Scotland then. Although my dad nags and nags about it... I

There's some stuff that I would like to eventually get (books from uni mostly, I can't part with books). My husband says next time we go accross we should drive rather than fly, but I don't think I want a 2 day road trip each way :zzz:

Ah, that reminds me, someone gave us a cutlery set while we were visiting folk at Christmas last year- good quality stuff that was worth the practical trouble to fly back with our luggage. Anyway, with weight and space restrictions I ended up having 24 spoons and a cake slice in my hand luggage.

The security staff at the train station and the airport must have thought I was mental, but we got it across in the end, and for free (other than the hassle)

Today I had to explain to a 3 year old in Spanish nursery why it's not very nice to blame your farts on the person sitting next to you.

Problem is, this wee boy has charm by the bucketful- he knows how to turn on the puppy eyes to get away with murder and milks it to the end- so much that i felt a bit sorry to tell him off. (Just as well, with any other kid in the class I could not have kept a straight face)

Anyway, I think I earned the right to have a beer. :D