Vintersorg on Epic

The Scourge

Suicide Machine
May 26, 2003
Drowning in a sea of addictions
Hey guys. I have had many listens to the new Borknagar album, "Epic" and I must say that it may very well be their best album yet, and maybe even album of the year for me. Of course I was impressed with Lar's hammonds, but I also really enjoyed the guitar as well, being how it is brought back out the front of the mix, a la "The Archaic Course."
But what impressed me and surprised me the most was Vintersorg's performance. It was no secret that awhile ago I ripped on his vocal musings and enunciation. Well, on this opus he has improved a million fold. I just cannot get over how good he sounds!! From the track "Traveller"(which I will agree with IanDork that it has the best Borknagar chorus ever) and the incredibly moving song "Origin"(some of the best vocal layering I have ever heard) to the rest of the tracks on the CD, Vintersorg has really raised the bar for himself and metal vocalists the world over. I have gone from an annoyed listener to a HUGE fan of the guy in the space of one album, and no other vocalist has ever done that for me.
So, has anyone else heard "Epic" yet, and if so, what do you think of Vintersorg's performance?

You're absolutely right. Vintersorg's performance is great on the album and for the first time I've heard it, Traveller became one of my favourite Borknagar songs. Can't stop listening to the album !!

I think Vintersorg's vocals are really great... but I have always been a fan of his work. I can't think of anything he's done that hasen't impressed me and made me feel very inferior :)

I have somewhat mixed feelings about Epic, but it still needs some more listens I think. One thing that's bothering me though... and maybe it's just me, but while Vintersorg's vocals are great, they don't seem loud enough to me. I find myself having to strain to hear what he's saying, and that's somewhat disconcerting to me. The bm stuff seems OK, but the clean stuff often seems lost behind a wall of music. Is it just me? Well, I AM getting older... maybe it's just me losing my hearing in the frequency range where his voice is or something :) The mix in general though kinda bothers me at times. I like the guitars being in front, for sure, but in some parts its like they should have turned up the drums too, but didn't... so the drums get a little lost. I dunno... I'm just being overly critical I guess, having spent about 4 billion hours trying to get the mix on my own stuff to sound right.

I do like Epic a lot though, and from an "artistic creativity" standpoint, it could be their best work yet.

~R

as i stated on the other topic..
epic

interesting reading the review. i agree with ian more. listening to the album over and over for three days now here's my conclusion.
1. i am getting it as soon as it hits the store in both euro and u.s formats
2.possibly the best borknagar album cuz there's no fillers
3.bigger sound. better production and better arrangements
4.vintersorg outdoes himself and he clearly is more comfortable singing for borknagar now
5.more atmospheric, more folk and guitar is much louder and darker
6.the keys play a big part but is not annoying like dimmu
7.asgeir kills on all rhythm tracks, bass and drums
8.considering most gothenburg bands can't sing clean (soilwork, dark tranquillity, in flames) not to mention just about every band trying to do clean vocals fail miserably and considering all the other bands out there not just the ones mention above have pretty much departed in most part their style, borknagar progresses but does not feel the need to incorporate lame ass shit to be "artistic"
9.i find the album even galant at times. good to listen to at night
10.yes i do own all borknagar albums so i'm not talking out of my ass:D
11.considering i love the focusing blur this one does equally well
12.i listen to it enough and i find NO fault in it. not one. and i do have a habit of listening to albums over and over for weeks on end
13. not saying i'm right just saying about time an album comes out that is not pretending and i commend all the guys in borknagar for sticking to their guns.
14.i'm not nit picking this album at all and i like the cover and i love this album merely because last year i wasted more money on bands that shouldn't even be on labels and yet they are.
15.BORKNAGAR :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
16.now come to the states again

Vintersorg in Epic is really AMAZING! vocals really Great!
my favourites songs are : origin, related ( dialogue), cyclus, The Wonder

Cheers!

Marksveld said:
Mr. V can literally do no wrong in my eyes.
is that right....?? just wait and see when I'm, releasing my boyband album.............not!!..hehehehehe

mr V

asgeir said:
V-BOYZ!

- Asgeir

V-Boyz in da house!

Asgeir, does this mean that you're signing up to join the band? :)

And you know... every boy band has to have a different personality for each member. Like... one guy is the tough guy, the second is the romantic one, the third is the one that's always in trouble, and the fourth is... I don't know... the intellectual one or something.

So which one would you be? :)

~Robert