Vortex vs Vintersorg

themooseisloose

synchronized they operate
Nov 22, 2003
New York
for borknagar, who do you think did a better job?

also, if you consider the work that they've done over the lengths of their musical careers, who do you appreciate more?

personally, i enjoyed the music that borknagar put out more when they were with simen, but i think vintersorg is simply amazing, and his material with borknagar is quite exceptional... let's hope for the best with the new album!

I'm a great admirer of vortex' extravagant vocal style, plus that in my opinion Quintessence is Borknagars best attempt to date, so I'd say Vortex. He's an incredibly complete vocalist, with both an astounding voice and singing technique (highlights would include "The Prescense is Ominious" and "The Chaos Path" with Arcturus), which is pretty rare in these days. I als enjoyed Vintersorgs contribution on Empiricism, but he's clearly more limited in his vocal folds than Simen. I also have high hopes for the next album anyway, and I was really hoping that Lazare actually got some vocal parts aswell (or at least detectable parts, since I didn't catch a sound from him on Empiricism), or some choir parts (perhaps duo-choir singing with Vintersorg?).

Are too different:i love in the same way the works in BORKNAGAR of VINTERSORG and VORTEX.
The vocal style of SIMEN is perfect for THE ARCHAIC COURSE and QUINTESSENCE,but only VINTERSORG could make so special an album like EMPIRICISM...not a choice i love bot of them!:Spin:

yeah, his clean vocals are quite nice and all, but dimmu is barely using him, he was in only two songs on Death Cult, his finest dimmu moments are on spiritual black dimensions, and nothing has come close to that album since

I think both of them make good jobs of it, but i think that it's also a matter of the music, which correlates with the singing. During the vortex era, the music was rather eerie, which totally fits vortex operaic voice, whilst the music on the empiricism album was more "sharp-edged" which whereas fits vintersorgs voice much better...

However, i can't make an real descision, i like them both equally

I think both vocalists compliment the music that was written for them to sing. Alot of music is written for the singer in mind so the music written for Vortex to sing should be different than the music written for Vintersorg to sing. I personally think they are both great!

I can't really compare those two, as both of them are great vocalists, but I gotta admit that I think Vortex' pronunciation is a bit better. The swedes has allways had an odd touch to their english pronunciation, but I guess we norwegians have too. It's only that Vortex does it quite good :)

I have to say I especially love Vortex's clean and Vintersorg's grim equally. I can't really pick between the two of them, as they're both stellar.

This rabid Ulver fan's overall favorite is Garm, though. His work on Borknagar and Aspera Hiems Symfonia is absolutely sublime.

But what would really be awesome would be an Oystein album with all three of them, or at least the latest two, singing together. They could carry philosophical dialogs from multiple perspectives. It would be very interesting, to say the least.

I like both as vocalists. They both have their styles and it worked for the time. I think it is possible that if Vortex was still in the band, they would not have developed as they have. In my mind, the reason bands change line ups is because they can't do more with the current line up, and need more of an influence from the outside. I don't know if that makes sense. Sorry, but I've been drinking quite a bit.

Eire

They're both talented musicians, each in it's own unique way but still I liked the way Vortex sounded in Borknagar, his voice was captivating, now.. now it's different with Vintersorg on vocals. Don't get me wrong, I like all the side projects this man has it's crazy. Probably I just got used to Vortex's voice a bit too much eh? :erk: :p