Best Borknagar singer

hehehehe..........I just knew that this thread would arrive right away. This is of course simply about personal taste, but when I joined the band I gave away a statement saying that I'll do my own thing, not trying to copy the erlier vocal efforts, I'm to much of a Borknagar fan to try to do that, it would have came out very cheezy I think.

I'm just doing what feels proper to me.

mr V

Originally posted by Sadistik
well now, we just need to get Simen, V, and Garm together for one song.....that would solve all debates....and how cool would that be?

yeah!!! it's crazy, but great idea:D

Finally a forum of one of my favorite bands, i've been strongly criticized for this but in Borknagar the ultimate singer was SIMEN! he gave the band a strong unique personality that (sorry i'm a fan of your solo work cosmic genesis rule!) Vintersorg hasn't been able to do, and let's be honest when garm (la masquerade infernale and bergatt=metal masterpieces) was in the band he wasn't developed as a vocalist at all! so let's not evaluate him for his actual voice let's do it with the one he had back then!, ok "the sham mirrors" it's an awesome album but i don't think that much people can say that of the first two albums when they were just an average black metal band! and listen to tracks like "the dawn of the end" garm sucks big time (imagine vintersorg or simen and you get my point) Vintersorg is stepping in the ground Simen cleared for them: the black/clean vocal approach and so many things and it's really good! empiricism it's a great album even with the fact that changing frontmans isn't a very easy thing to do, they did it really well!, but simen gave Borknagar that: PERSONALITY!, he has a voice quite unmatched in today's metal, maybe not technical at all but a really original one i wish them the best of lucks and like some people said before don't let the 2 albums curse go on, but imo simen was "the" borknagar singer, and to the people who doesn't believe it give "universal" of "the archaic course" another spin.

sorry for the long post but simen is the man nojoda! :)

Borknagar is lucky to have (had) three of the best vocalists ever, who happen to be my favourites, thus i can't choose. They are all different and they all did/do a great job in the band. I can't choose. :)

I'll have to go with Simen first, then Vintersorg, cause
it was Simen's voice that got me into Borknagar, and
Colossus is still one of the best songs ever made. His
voice in that song is so breathtaking it deserves a
thread of its own >:eek:P hehe....

I haven't listened much to the first Borknagar albums,
I guess I should get around to doing it now!

Originally posted by Karldin

From what i heard of the Inferno gig over the radio last year, Colossus was very well done, with a bit of growling in some places :). Very good, IMO.

Really? Wow! Shame there isn't any MP3 of that gig. Or is there? So would you say Vintersorg performed his own interpretation of "Colossus", i.e. not slavishly following Simen's work?

Definitely Simen, my favorite singer of all time!

However, I have a question: Why do I see many people saying Simen's voice is not as technically good as the Vintersorg or Garm... (someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, and I've heard it mentioned on numerous other boards). Honestly, where do you get this? His range is greater, he has more control, and his vocal melodies are beyong unique...I just happen to think credit is due where credit is due, and I can't find any proof that shows Simen is in any way inferior to the other Borknagar vocalists...

And if you think otherwise, please explain why (Adventcredence?):p

And I also find it interesting that some of the best Borknagar songs were written by Simen (Ad Noctum, Colossus). I think that the only Borknagar song I like better than these two would be Universal...Anyone else think so?

Originally posted by Till Fjalls
And I also find it interesting that some of the best Borknagar songs were written by Simen (Ad Noctum, Colossus). I think that the only Borknagar song I like better than these two would be Universal...Anyone else think so?

I couldn't agree more with you when it comes to
Simen being as technically good as the other
singers... :eek:)

But, it says in the booklet that the Colossus lyrics
were written by Asgeir, Simen did the music :eek:)

Originally posted by Blackspirit

I couldn't agree more with you when it comes to
Simen being as technically good as the other
singers... :eek:)

But, it says in the booklet that the Colossus lyrics
were written by Asgeir, Simen did the music :eek:)

Yes true, but still the man writes amazing music and vocal melodies. Lyrics are for pretty much less important, at least to me. I've never bought a CD for the lyrics alone...

Anyway my point with that was that I would really like if others input more music, especially Vintersorg, they have such complimentary styles. I am hoping Borknagar doesn't fall in a songwriting rut (since I wasn't pleased with Empiricism), so expansion through collaboration can only be a good thing right?

Though if Simen was still in the band and still composing songs/sections, I am willing to bet that Borknagar would be my favorite band right now. He's the only songwriter I've heard that I enjoy absolutely 100%, musically and vocally...

hey man sorry for the long delay but i haven't been able to post this reply sooner.

When i said that simen's voice wasn't "technical", i said that for the same reason i think it's such a great voice at all it's because it's not common i haven't heard someone with the same vocal approach no one ever will sound like simen sounded on "colossus" or "universal" even in arcturus "the chaos path" it's so unique that it's a shame (but a decision that i respect totally) that he became the 2nd singer in dimmu borgir c'mon this man needs a band to be the frontman not the chorus guy in some songs, that till fjalls is my opinion and sorry i don't make it clearer the first time i wish borknagar the best of lucks with vintersorg but to me borknagar really found it's niche with simen and to this guy russel yeah bergtatt was before borknagar sorry! and yes sadistik i usually post in the opeth forum but also in katatonia's and dan swano's. and by your nick i think you usually post in some sleazy band from the 80's. :).

Simen is my favorite. How can you not love his voice in DB's Kings of the Carnival Creation? Vintersorg's voice also kicks large amounts of ass but I haven't heard a lot of Garm so I can't make fair judgements.