Vortex vs Vintersorg

Yeah fellas, Garm is great, but I don't think he ever really came around to discovering the full potential of his vocal folds until Perdition City and The Sham Mirrors. He has always been a great songwriter(one of metal's best actually), but his work on the Borknagar s/t and The Olden Domain(I FUCKING LOVE THAT ALBUM!!!) were just subpar, especially when he explores his lower register, pretending that he is a bass-baritone, and belting out low notes pianissimo when it should have been triple fortissimo. But hell, that is a small rant. As far as fave Borknagar vocalists go, it is Vortex without a doubt. The Archaic Course is a bible for tenor metal vocalists in my opinion(although he could work on the vibrato a little bit). And then there is good old Vintersorg. You know, this will probably stigmatize me here in this forum, but I just do not like the guy's vocals. I mean, his grim vocals are pretty good, but his phrasing and enunciation is so mediocre and muffled to me. As I said before, he sounds like a hungry Alanis Morrisette at times, getting her fill of the buffet while he is singing. Someone here said that Lazare should have some vocal lines. I agree wholeheartedly with that. His Jon Anderson-timbred voice is just perfect for Borknagar's progressive and celestial songwriting approach to date. Btw, can't wait for the new album :)

The Scourge said:
Yeah fellas, Garm is great, but I don't think he ever really came around to discovering the full potential of his vocal folds until Perdition City and The Sham Mirrors. He has always been a great songwriter(one of metal's best actually), but his work on the Borknagar s/t and The Olden Domain(I FUCKING LOVE THAT ALBUM!!!) were just subpar, especially when he explores his lower register, pretending that he is a bass-baritone, and belting out low notes pianissimo when it should have been triple fortissimo. But hell, that is a small rant. As far as fave Borknagar vocalists go, it is Vortex without a doubt. The Archaic Course is a bible for tenor metal vocalists in my opinion(although he could work on the vibrato a little bit). And then there is good old Vintersorg. You know, this will probably stigmatize me here in this forum, but I just do not like the guy's vocals. I mean, his grim vocals are pretty good, but his phrasing and enunciation is so mediocre and muffled to me. As I said before, he sounds like a hungry Alanis Morrisette at times, getting her fill of the buffet while he is singing. Someone here said that Lazare should have some vocal lines. I agree wholeheartedly with that. His Jon Anderson-timbred voice is just perfect for Borknagar's progressive and celestial songwriting approach to date. Btw, can't wait for the new album :)
Why should I stigmatize your statement? taste is subjective...I don't have the time or energy to reflect upon such things, art is art...it's subjective!

mr V

Vintersorg is a great singer but I think Vortex fits in with the Bork's style of music a little better, even moreso than Garm. I know what I'm about to say is a little off the subject but I'm still pissed that Vortex left Borknagar to join Dimmu Boring, I mean Dimmu Borgir. I wonder why he did such a thing. Hmmmm, $$$$$$ anyone?

Vintersorg said:
Why should I stigmatize your statement? taste is subjective...I don't have the time or energy to reflect upon such things, art is art...it's subjective!

mr V
Hello Mr. V. You know, after rereading my post where I described the sound of your voice, I feel as if though I may have been a bit harsh. I was a little drunk when writing, so my apologies there. But I cannot retract my opinion about how I feel about the aesthetic nature of your singing style. It just doesn't do it for me. But I am only one person, and as you see here in this forum, they are many many others who love your voice. So I am but a small faction. I do however respect you as a musician, lyrically and song-writing like. You are definitely a Scandinavian beacon as far as that is concerned. But I cannot dig your enunciation and phrasing. Perhaps I am way too critical, but I am a classically trained singer, so it is easier for me to recognize all the wrong habits that many vocalists these days seem to employ. At any rate, as you said, art is art, and taste is subjective. :)

Dude you dumbass, how could you insult the great vintersorg? Don't you belong on the limp bizkit message boards or something?? Fuck off and Die. Eat shit while you are at it. Oh wait there is already shit spewing forth from your mouth :puke:

Dantven said:
Dude you dumbass, how could you insult the great vintersorg? Don't you belong on the limp bizkit message boards or something?? Fuck off and Die. Eat shit while you are at it. Oh wait there is already shit spewing forth from your mouth :puke:
Uhhhhh.......Am I like supposed to retort with an insult? I write on this forum because I LOVE Borknagar. And if you recall before you have another attack of Tourette's, this thread is about Vintersorg vs. Vortex. And if having an honest opinion about serious music is enough to cause a response like that, than power to you. I have no desire to wage a verbal war with you here Dantven. As far as I am concerned, I don't have time for such trivial banality. Grow up.

I believe that forums allow a medium for topics and opinions of all types, provided they are concerned with the bands at hand. Besides, do you really think that the band members want to hear drooly fanboy worship all day, or honest opinons? I truly believe it is the latter. And as long as I keep loving Borknagar or any other band for that matter, I will continue to give honest input. Cheers.

I don't think they want to hear "drooly fanboy worship" or anyones insults. I appreciate honesty, but have you heard the saying if you don't have something nice to say, shut the FUCK UP?

Have a nice day.

Indeed. But don't be blinded by your own self-enveloped subjectivity and obsession with any one band. Nobody is infallible, and faults are what creates the dynamic of human nature. Try to open your eyes a little Dantven, you may find that you will appreciate life a little more.

The question was pretty straight forward. Vortex vs. Vintersorg. Naturally people's opinions are going to vary on topics like this but there isn't a need to start bullshit attacks at each other. Theres nothing wrong with loyalty to certain vocalists, but if you can't make a legitmate comment don't at all. The Scourge already apoligised for the earlier comments and explained how the conclusion was drawn.

Positive and negative comments can benifit any musician. Positive helps confidence while negative can encourage a musician to strive to become something better, provided the choose to do so.

This thread should be garm vs vortex vs vintersorg anyways. How can you be subjective when you are not even including all of Borknagar's great vocalists? Anyways its pointless because its all a matter of taste. I only lashed out at you because of the way your words were phrased, it seemed almost like you were attacking mr. V.

Let bygones be bygones, please forgive my malice towards my fellow borknagar fan, I apoligize TheScourge.

Kippis! (cheers) :headbang: