Virgin Steele

7thSaviour

Power Metal Maniac
Jul 8, 2005
Dixieland USA
One thread about a metal band from Auburn, NY deserves another. VS started about the same time as Manowar, back in the early 80s and are still one of the most respected and truest traditional metal bands out there. How many of y'all enjoyed their set at PPUSA VIII? I sure did! Favorite albums and songs?

I enjoyed their set greatly. Favorite album is still House of Atreus Part II.

VS is sometimes wrongly stated to have copied Manowar. However, any careful listener will notice that VS had already established that sound a year before Manowar released their first album.

Some other fun notes about VS are that they had some very thrashy material before Overkill, and were playing some neoclassical metal before Yngwie (but with both of these, they didn't put out a full thrash metal nor neoclassical album really).

My favorite thing about VS songs are the musical compositions. I love the intricate leads, and melodies. I also find that their drummer (Frank Gilchriest) has tons of fun live, and is great to watch and listen to. Frank also plays with Riot and Holy Mother. Of course, I'm also a huge fan of the lyrics and David's singing. He's also a nice guy.

And sure people are going to bitch that he didn't play the keys, and there was no bassist.

But none of these people probably bitched when Evergrey had a person on stage faking playing an instrument.

They were awesome, despite their sound problems. My favorite stuff of theirs is the House of Atreus duology and Invictus.

Love 'em! One of my favorites! The House of Atreus is one of my all time favorite albums (yes, I consider the whole thing one album). Barely made it on time to see them at ProgPower, the rush hour traffic on 85 south was insane that day and I almost drove my wife to a breakdown trying to get there on time. I saw them at Jaxx back in 2001 or 2002 and David was playing keys for that show, although I don't think that they had a bassist for that show either.

I must admit that I did not really get into them on first listen. It took awhile, but they really grew on me.

I wasn't familiar at all with Virgin Steel going into last year's ProgPower performance. I did watch their set and was entertained. With that said, their music and performance failed in comparison with the rest of the bands on the bill for me.

~Brian~

I started liking Virgin Steele from the beginning but lost touch with the band over the years as they changed their sound. I was highly disappointed with their set last year.

ProgPower II - keyboardist. Going on what I've heard. Always dangerous.

Plenty of bands backtrack keys these days. In Flames, Hypocrisy, Cryptopsy (before the new keyboardist), Cynic, and Fear Factory to name a small few. Backtracking/not having a bassist in a live setting however is pretty ridiculous.

I enjoyed their set greatly. Favorite album is still House of Atreus Part II.

VS is sometimes wrongly stated to have copied Manowar. However, any careful listener will notice that VS had already established that sound a year before Manowar released their first album.

Some other fun notes about VS are that they had some very thrashy material before Overkill, and were playing some neoclassical metal before Yngwie (but with both of these, they didn't put out a full thrash metal nor neoclassical album really).

My favorite thing about VS songs are the musical compositions. I love the intricate leads, and melodies. I also find that their drummer (Frank Gilchriest) has tons of fun live, and is great to watch and listen to. Frank also plays with Riot and Holy Mother. Of course, I'm also a huge fan of the lyrics and David's singing. He's also a nice guy.

And sure people are going to bitch that he didn't play the keys, and there was no bassist.

But none of these people probably bitched when Evergrey had a person on stage faking playing an instrument.
:headbang: I agree with you that VS have never received the credit they are very deservingly due.

I wasn't familiar at all with Virgin Steel going into last year's ProgPower performance. I did watch their set and was entertained. With that said, their music and performance failed in comparison with the rest of the bands on the bill for me.

~Brian~
As a fellow Savatage fan, I find it hard to believe that you don't like 2 legendary traditional metal bands such as Manowar and VS. :confused: