Voted as the best top 10 guitar riffs of all time, what would you choose?

Slatanictrash

Aug 5, 2009
Glasgow
1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)

2. Guns N' Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine

3. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

4. Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water

5. Derek and the Dominos - Layla

6. AC/DC - Back In Black

7. Metallica - Enter Sandman

8. The Beatles - Day Tripper

9. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

10. The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

I wouldn't disagree too much with the list but what would you say are your top 5 guitar riffs off all time?

I would go for the following

1) Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
2) Sorrow - Pink Floyd
3) The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
4) South of Heaven - SLAYER
5) Raining Blood - SLAYER

There are so many but when I hear the opening riffs of these songs I get that goosebumps feeling, if you know what I mean, you immediately stop what you are doing and start playing air guitar, (well thats what I do)

So what are your favourite guitar riffs of all time?

Probably a few coroner riffs (there's one in Divine Step that I just have to play everytime I pick up a guitar). Also the rhythm guitar riff in Thrasher when Ol solo's.

Thats what i thought instantly.

That's because you know what your shit my friend.

I'll stick my neck out and say half the riffs in metal are nothing but recycled or rehashed Sabbath riffs :lol:

Good list, anyway. Seek & Destory and Ride are two of my all-time favourite riffs.

That's because you know what your shit my friend.

I'll stick my neck out and say half the riffs in metal are nothing but recycled or rehashed Sabbath riffs :lol:

Good list, anyway. Seek & Destory and Ride are two of my all-time favourite riffs.
Do you mean ride's spider chord part? If so, Wake Up Dead is better.

EDIT - Holy fuck I failed:p Didn't read Covit's entire list and tought you meant Ride the Lightning:lol: FAIL

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Coroner - Status: Still Thinking
Onslaught - Metal Forces
Destruction - Bestial Invasion
Evile - Now Demolition (seriously!)

Loads more. I feel they're all underrated as hell/

How in Christ's name am I meant to whittle down the billion riffs in the world down to 5?! That's impossible. And retarded.

However some of my favourites that spring instantly to mind are the intro riff to Iron Maiden's Be Quick Or Be Dead, the riff after the intro riff just before the verse in Forbidden's Infinite and the main riff in Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, just about every riff on Rust in Peace (though let's run with the Tornado of Souls main riff just to single out one in particular), the intro to Master of Puppets, the middle riff in Slayer's Angel of Death, the first proper riff in Blackened (also by Metallica), the middle harmony section in Maiden's Phantom of the Opera, the main riff from Testament's Burnt Offerings, the melodic bit in the middle of War by Vendetta and the riff from More Than a Feeling by Boston (cheesy but awesome)... that's just off the top of my head, there are millions of others that are also my favourite...

Johnny b goode or like Smoke on le water.

But personaly, Into the Pit (testament) or Bonded By Blood (Exodus).