Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

When Ghost Reveries came out I instantly liked it, and still do. But Watershed is in my opinion a better record. I love it.
I guess Porcelain Heart is WS' weakest track, if I have to get picky. But with tracks like Hessian Peel, Lotus Eater and Hex Omega (my favourite..), you just gotta love it.

I really like Opeths turning point, and their direction. I would rather have them producing an ok album, than repeating Blackwater Park over and over again.

Am i disappointed in watershed? NO.
Kinda hard to get disappointed when its opeth..:)

The album confuses me. I like most of it yet I don't feel compelled to give it a spin...
It's not bad, the new direction is interesting... but might be a bit much too soon for some :p

I'm not disappointed with the album as a whole, but the brutality vs softness ratio is very disappointing. I don't want Opeth to stop being a death metal band first, progressive rock/seventies rock band second.QUOTE]

I can't help but agree with that statement.

I think Watershed was a great album in all due respect....but it is also my least favorite Opeth album by a landslide. I've listened to my friends copy of Watershed numerous times, and it actually really motivated me not to buy it. It's not that I've heard it too much and have become sick of it...but rather that I just can't get into it. I can't put into words just how dissapointed I am...but this album has been my "most looked forward to album" since Ghost Reveries came out. To wait that long for an album and then not even like it is pretty crushing.

I think my biggest complaint is that I really miss the dark sound of older Opeth albums. The new album (to me at least) gets really upbeat and bright sounding too often (I'm really not a fan of the major chords Mike used on the CD). It just really killed the mood of the album for me.

I think I would have liked the album much more if there was more than two and a half heavy tracks on it. Sure, Hex Omega has its moments of heaviness...but that track is also the only Opeth song in existence that I can honestly say I don't like at least a little bit.

Maybe the next CD will be darker and heavier...but if not, oh well I guess, I'll always have the first 8 albums to listen to.

Yeah, I am skipping Hex Omega, it seems to very uninspired in my opinion. I haven't tired of the first half of the album as of yet - 'Coil', 'Heir Apparent', 'The Lotus Eater' and 'Burden' are great - but 'Porcelain Heart', parts of 'Hessian Peel' and the aforementioned 'Hex Omega', they're not really that good are they? I still don't know what to make of the CD, even though I have listened to it at least twice a day since it was leaked. I like it, but.. nah, I'm gonna stop trying to wrap my brain around this. Whenever I tire of the sweetness, I put on an earlier album or some other band.

BUT if Watershed is an indication of future Opeth releases, I suspect my sincere fanatic devotion to the band will start to dissapear. Yeah I Know, so fucking what, new fans are coming in, but opinions are allowed. even here

BTW I have come to the conclusion that, as simple as they may seem, I really dig the lyrics here

I think my biggest complaint is that I really miss the dark sound of older Opeth albums.

I agree, and while I love the new album, I miss the older, darker, more oppressive nature of Opeth's earlier work. The heavier songs on the album (Heir Apparent, TLE, parts of hessian Peel) are absolutely fantastic, and fit the darker criteria some fans crave, yet in a new, progressive way. I love the softer songs too, especially burden and hex omega, but I personally would absolutely love to see the new heavy style of Opeth (if that makes sense) to be further explored on the next record.

I was disappointed with WS at first but since then I've come to 'understand' many more things on the album which I previously found ridiculous. I thoroughly enjoy listening to it but overall it just doesn't connect as effectively with me as the rest of their albums did, so to be honest I really don't know what to make of it, it really puzzles me.

I think it's taking some time for me to accept that there's been such huge changes with my favourite band and its music but even if I prefer their previous albums I don't condemn the new direction they seem to be going in, as regardless of it being my least favourite album of theirs I think Mike's musical potential has become even more boundaryless, so I have pretty high expectations for the future. The one major criticism I have, however, is concerning some of the song structures.

I'm not disapointed at all and it's the bands best album to date.

First few listens, I would have said yes.

Since then, hell no. It's a great, very mature musical attempt by this band.. it isn't without it's flaws, but it's an extremely good disc.

I was disappointed with WS at first but since then I've come to 'understand' many more things on the album which I previously found ridiculous. I thoroughly enjoy listening to it but overall it just doesn't connect as effectively with me as the rest of their albums did, so to be honest I really don't know what to make of it, it really puzzles me.

I think it's taking some time for me to accept that there's been such huge changes with my favourite band and its music but even if I prefer their previous albums I don't condemn the new direction they seem to be going in, as regardless of it being my least favourite album of theirs I think Mike's musical potential has become even more boundaryless, so I have pretty high expectations for the future. The one major criticism I have, however, is concerning some of the song structures.

you and i share our opinion of this disc almost perfectly, esp. the enjoyment compared with engagement idea.

Some of you must be fucking high.

Watershed is a brilliant album, I love the "new" sound they got going. Per's contributions are fucking stellar, especially the "skeletal wish" parts in Heir Apparent - so fucking evil. I doubt Opeth will ever use pyro, but some nice synced Rammstein-style flames during that part would look tits.

I love the whole 60's influence in this album, it's psychadelic rock than progressive rock. Not to mention the oboes. The oboes own your fucking face.

Watershed > You

Vivören;7370500 said:
Some of you must be fucking high.

Watershed is a brilliant album, I love the "new" sound they got going. Per's contributions are fucking stellar, especially the "skeletal wish" parts in Heir Apparent - so fucking evil. I doubt Opeth will ever use pyro, but some nice synced Rammstein-style flames during that part would look tits.

I love the whole 60's influence in this album, it's psychadelic rock than progressive rock. Not to mention the oboes. The oboes own your fucking face.

Watershed > You

Very convincing.

I like that they don't try to please the fans. I would hate a repeat of any of the earlier albums.
By the first listen, my impression was that I'd need to hear it many times to fully appreciate it. And I'm still not there, but I love it nonetheless.
I just heard the 5.1 mix, and I discovered so much more. I was stunned how good it sounds.
What a great album!