Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

I haven't read the whole thread, but to simply answer the initial question posed:

No, Watershed is not a disappointment for me at all. I loved it from the get-go, except for the last couple tracks, but they grew on me quickly. Perhaps it's just the newness of it, but for now I'd say that Watershed is my favorite Opeth album. It's got a great balance of heavy and light songs, and doesn't overdo the growling (nor avoid it either, as was the case with Damnation), and Mikael's clean singing just seems to get better and better. Watershed is a very, very solid album, definitely among the top of the 2008 releases so far!

[EDIT: Well, there is one disappointment: The SE packaging. I for one don't care for cardboard slip-cases, and the packaging is extremely inconvenient for my work environment, where I get the most opportunity to listen to music. But, that's a very minor complaint, and the music is top-notch!]

I'd just like to say that I'm American, and I'm familiar with Malta.

Now to my updated thoughts on 'Watershed'. While I still love it, I do wish it were heavier. Yeah, the most common complaint, but there it is. I miss the dominance of growls. They've kind of switched it around - whereas the cleans used to be there to provide the dynamic, the exception, now the growls do. =\ Maybe it'll grow on me. Still, great album.

I haven't read the whole thread, but to simply answer the initial question posed:

No, Watershed is not a disappointment for me at all. I loved it from the get-go, except for the last couple tracks, but they grew on me quickly. Perhaps it's just the newness of it, but for now I'd say that Watershed is my favorite Opeth album. It's got a great balance of heavy and light songs, and doesn't overdo the growling (nor avoid it either, as was the case with Damnation), and Mikael's clean singing just seems to get better and better. Watershed is a very, very solid album, definitely among the top of the 2008 releases so far!

i miss mike's shittier clean =[

Only too true, I'm afraid, so no harm, no foul. I've met my share who think that 'Swiss' is what they speak in Sweden, and Swedish is what they speak in Switzerland. Danish and Dutch are apparently synonymous. 'Norwegian' baffles them altogether. As I recall, I've heard meek guesses that 'Norwayish', or maybe 'Norwayese', is perhaps what's spoken in Norway. 'Icelandic is a language?' is a question I've been confronted with. *sigh*

after a few more listens i have to say im disappointed.
disappointed that watershed is so good, as i wanted it to suck so i can say opeth turned mainstream and bash mikael/sending him mails about making him dimebag #2

Only too true, I'm afraid, so no harm, no foul. I've met my share who think that 'Swiss' is what they speak in Sweden, and Swedish is what they speak in Switzerland. Danish and Dutch are apparently synonymous. 'Norwegian' baffles them altogether. As I recall, I've heard meek guesses that 'Norwayish', or maybe 'Norwayese', is perhaps what's spoken in Norway. 'Icelandic is a language?' is a question I've been confronted with. *sigh*

Hopelandish FTW!

No i'm not. They put their time and soul into the album and we all appreciate that. Although I was hoping for some more growling...less mellow...more death metal:headbang:

I refrained from commenting for a while because it takes me a long time to really "get" Opeth albums. At first I was slightly disappointed but it grew on me very well. I too have been longing for a return to the majestic sound of the first two albums but that era is over. I am deeply impressed and fascinated by WS. I like how Mikes vocals are sounding better then ever, and how Per finally developed his own sound. I absolutely love the synths and keyboard solos on this album, especially the one at the end of Hex Omega. Its beautiful.

I like the album very much so and really appreciate how the band is evolving.

It's maybe one of their weakest, but it's still a good record - that's my opinion.
They lost much of their sound, atmosphere and heaviness that was "apparent" on all their previous albums. While I think that some songs (HP, TLE) are simply amazing, almost all of the other songs lack those attributes for the most part. It's not very guitar based stuff and this is a serious let-down as it's more of a general rock thing and the experience is not as intense for me.
Still looking forward to the next release, though. Concerning the circumstances with the new members this one was acceptable (they set very high quality standards anyway) but I really miss the tension/heaviness of their other stuff.

in my opinion WS is really good album.i've never dissapointed to this album even i really like:))( especially porcelein heart).there's nothing to worried things about this album.Sometimes difference is good.if all of the opeth album were the same style,maybe it can be boring.They're adding to new different feelings in our lifes with every difference in their albums ;) Did i tell exactly?:)

Yes dude. Most Americans don't know it exists. Europeans are ok I guess, especially now that we are in the EU, and Australians (probably because there are many Maltese over there), but our tiny island seems like it is too small to appear on a US world map ;)
haha yeah, although it's a stereotype it's not uncommon to meet an American who has a terrible geographical knowledge. I read an article in the paper the other day about the lack of compulsory geography classes in US schools. And when there is, its quite ofter US focussed. Ironically I had compulsory geography in the first 3 years of high school and a good 90% of the course was international based. You can't help but think of that infamous story when Bush asked for a map when being presented with the idea of invading Afghanistan. I'm sure that incident fueled that stereotype fairly overboard to what it more accurately should be. In fact I'm sure a lot of what the world saw Bush do changed the way we perceive Americans.

i dunno know if anyone else mentioned this but the only thing im dissapointed about with watershed if the fact that they put the 3 bonus tracks on the DVD disc instead of the CD. not only can i not listen to the 3 bonus tracks without a dvd player but if i wanted them on my ipod id have to re-buy them on itunes and even then can only buy 2 of the 3. other than that i thought this album was good

i dunno know if anyone else mentioned this but the only thing im dissapointed about with watershed if the fact that they put the 3 bonus tracks on the DVD disc instead of the CD. not only can i not listen to the 3 bonus tracks without a dvd player but if i wanted them on my ipod id have to re-buy them on itunes and even then can only buy 2 of the 3. other than that i thought this album was good

At least they released the *normal* and *special* editions of this one at the same time. I think RR got a lotta sh*t flying their way for what they did with GR.