Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

haha yeah, although it's a stereotype it's not uncommon to meet an American who has a terrible geographical knowledge. I read an article in the paper the other day about the lack of compulsory geography classes in US schools. And when there is, its quite ofter US focussed. Ironically I had compulsory geography in the first 3 years of high school and a good 90% of the course was international based. You can't help but think of that infamous story when Bush asked for a map when being presented with the idea of invading Afghanistan. I'm sure that incident fueled that stereotype fairly overboard to what it more accurately should be. In fact I'm sure a lot of what the world saw Bush do changed the way we perceive Americans.

Part of the problem is just how huge the USA is. I can travel 2000 miles from my home and still be in the same country. How many Europeans can say that? But, yes, it is an unfair stereotype, because a lot of Americans know more about the rest of the world than Europeans seem to want to give us credit for.

As a side note, on message boards I've seen a handful of Europeans rail on Americans for not visiting other countries as much as they do. However, in Europe one can visit several countries without ever traveling as far from home as I have while remaining in the USA, so it's a rather ridiculous argument that they have.

Beyond that, I can even encounter a different culture less than 5 miles from my home, as there is a strong Mexican population downtown.

Here's a review by someone from a prog rock site who didn't like the album, it's not me, so don't kill me! :)

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=173419

I know this review has been talked about to death, but I would like to point out one thing. The pretentious snob tried to say that a part of burden is boring because of the predictable I VI VI V7 progression. I would have to asume that the author is either retarded or tone def do to the fact that no such progression exists in the song. The closest thing would be the outro progression which happens to be VI IV II III.

Part of the problem is just how huge the USA is. I can travel 2000 miles from my home and still be in the same country. How many Europeans can say that? But, yes, it is an unfair stereotype, because a lot of Americans know more about the rest of the world than Europeans seem to want to give us credit for.

As a side note, on message boards I've seen a handful of Europeans rail on Americans for not visiting other countries as much as they do. However, in Europe one can visit several countries without ever traveling as far from home as I have while remaining in the USA, so it's a rather ridiculous argument that they have.

Beyond that, I can even encounter a different culture less than 5 miles from my home, as there is a strong Mexican population downtown.

Totally agree. Good post.

I don't see Watershed as a let-down at all. It's another good album by Opeth. Not really my favourite, but I really enjoy listening to it when I'm on the right mood.

Part of the problem is just how huge the USA is. I can travel 2000 miles from my home and still be in the same country. How many Europeans can say that?

I don't know how many kilometres miles are, but I'm sure I can travel that far from the top of Norway towards the bottom, cause it's quite a "long" country. If you turn norway up-side-down in a way where you keep the southest part still and the northest part turned south, you actually reach like Italy or something.(I hope I wasn't to incoherent?)

I don't know how many kilometres miles are, but I'm sure I can travel that far from the top of Norway towards the bottom, cause it's quite a "long" country. If you turn norway up-side-down in a way where you keep the southest part still and the northest part turned south, you actually reach like Italy or something.(I hope I wasn't to incoherent?)

Norway is much shorter than the USA.

Good point.

i dont realy agree with you...
true' this album is not better than still life or blackwater, but this album is realy good with his musical skills, martin the new drummer is the 2nd after martin lopez, and his realy good drummer!
watershed is a greate album, be sure it better than GR or Orchid, for my opinion watershed is one of their bests album.

The album has grew on me and I am far from dissapointed.There is some brutality(Heir Apparent)and some softer moments.There is also some groundbreaking riffs and so many epic moments still so I am very happy.Not the best album but another very solid effort and I would say it's top Ghost Reveries slightly.

I don't think it differs that much from the previous works. It's very Opeth...I can't be disappointed by such a masterpiece! It's an amzing album .

I've read some people here saying it's not metal. Are they kidding? It's metal..but it goes beyond the same clichès .

I wanted to ask if Opeth have explained the meaning of the booklet..I'm sure there's some story behind it

In no way am I disappointed with Watershed. Just as advertised, it is a haunting, dark masterpiece. It has a certain flow to it that is so different from any and every thing that this amazing band has put out in the past. When it's not metal, it's really not metal, and when it's metal, it's really, REALLY metal. I absolutely love this contrast, it's so stark, and it creates a very unique mood that I can't find in any other of Opeth's albums. It's a testimony to a band's quality when you can say you have THREE favorite albums and you simply can't decide which one you'd prefer over another. Watershed is one of those for me, right there with Still Life and Ghost Reveries. It's a striking album and one which I'm very contented with and proud of owning.

To be honest, i was disappointed the first time that i listened to the album ! But now, I'm really proud of my favorite band ! it's refreshing, Per knows his job very well...opeth is taking new direction ! but guys, when My Arms Your Hearse was out, did u say the same thing ? I mean, that album is a mark of a new direction that Opeth took, and look where it led em ! (doesn't mean that the 2 first albums weren't good lol)
I agree abt the lack of material stuff, but well..it's okay !

Watershed feels like Mike removed some shackles and is now showing us pure artistic freedom. I dunno, for some reason I just get that sort of vibe. And I think it's sort of a coherent mixed bag, if that makes sense. It really works well as a whole and it has an entirely different atmosphere than from any other album (definitely including other Opeth). I know it's fucking ridiculous to say but, I can't wait to see what they put out next.

All this being said, I can't say it's my favorite Opeth release, probably not even in the upper tier, but it's definitely a perfect addition to their arsenal.

Oh and I fucking love Hex Omega. It's so haunting, but in a really deep and disturbing, but serene way. I dunno, kinda like Porcupine Tree, but more twisted.