Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

That note does stand out a bit, but well, I've grown to like it actually. I gave it a 3/5 in my review at progarchives. It's the first non-collaborator review :D

That note does stand out a bit, but well, I've grown to like it actually. I gave it a 3/5 in my review at progarchives. It's the first non-collaborator review :D

So he wants it to be progressive but not progressive enough to escape from western modes and its conception of 'right' and 'wrong' notes?

So he wants it to be progressive but not progressive enough to escape from western modes and its conception of 'right' and 'wrong' notes?

I don't know what he thinks, but I really didn't read that whole review. Just skimmed through it, and I get the impression that this guy and some other people define 'progressive' by certain hard rules, which obviously destroys the element of progressiveness itself.

I rarely if ever give much weight to reviews that rate something BEST or WORST.

Always the abscence of something is the presence of something else... it's not all about the same feeling, cause it's evolution as you said before... besides, talking about metaphysical subjects, i've always had the feeling that there was some sort of almost mysthical atmosphere in Orchid (particularly due to the lyrics... "absolute black metal nonsense" according to mike)

When I said there was something missing I meant a sort of emptiness that the music prior to GR 'feels' like to me. Black is not a colour, is the absence of it, but we have the ability to perceive it, the same happens to absences...but this doesn't mean that there is presence, but that we do see the 'hole' because something is not there. I think there is a difference. I also think, without trying to psychoanalyse Mikael but (mis)quoting him, the birth of his first born did give him a different attitude to life, and being an artist this obviously influenced his music. He did mention that Watershed was more about the fear that fatherhood has brought to him... but as I think there is also joy, he cannot help but expressing this and this is what I believe is present. Now, I am not saying he wasn't happy before! Just that his perspective on life (and making music) may have changed because of this very fact.
Orchid is I believe the most epic of all the albums and it is hard to believe the guys were only about 16/17 when they wrote that material, it's pretty incredible!

he has a point about the wrong note in hessian peel...it may be deliberate, but its still fucking dreadful.
apart from that, a very unfair review really. despite its flaws i still listen to watershed a lot and enjoy it too.

after i heard the new opeth album watershed..the only i can say is..BRING STEVEN WILSON BACK!!!!good album but it lacks of the cold sound and the "autumn" feeling they used to have in their music...

Well, to the TS, Opeth has been my favourite band since 1999 and I love Watershed, so that statement you made is absolutely stupid.

So no disapointment, I like the new direction they've taken on this album. I don't mind there are less growls and heavy riffs. They clearly intended not to be "so much metal" on this one, so if liking it makes me less "true"... then I'm a complete fake.

For now my two faves are actually Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park. Watershed I still have to absorb properly. I didn't quite like GR when it came out, but grew on me so much afterwards it's almost scary.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7334555 said:
And it IS one of the darkest and heaviest records we've ever done. To me it is...

Wow... I can't say it's heaviest... or even heavy. "Heir Apparent" and "The Lotus Eater" are pretty heavy - maybe one of the heaviest Opeth songs ever, but... it's just a 2 of 7. It's dark, I'm agree, but it's proggy-dark and not metal-dark. VDGG didn't needed to be heavy to record ultimate dark albums. Or, say, SW's "The Drift". Well, I can't even say "Watershed" is dark. It's... depressive, melancholic.

PS: fuck my feet, I'm arguing with Mike!

am I disapointed with it?

no

+1

Wrong note? Jarring initially, yes, because of the unexpected dissonance. But wrong? I think it fits A) the song as a whole and B) the lyrics. And I feel bad for people who hear it as wrong. I honestly believe that people with strong musical intuition will not hear it as "wrong". This is another moment on the CD (it's a theme people) where an otherwise beautiful moment is uglified. It's purposeful. It's a concept throughout.

Wrong note? Jarring initially, yes, because of the unexpected dissonance. But wrong? I think it fits A) the song as a whole and B) the lyrics. And I feel bad for people who hear it as wrong. I honestly believe that people with strong musical intuition will not hear it as "wrong". This is another moment on the CD (it's a theme people) where an otherwise beautiful moment is uglified. It's purposeful. It's a concept throughout.

i don't think it's wrong at all!

Disappointed but I honestly need to listen to it a bit more. Ghost Reveries took forever for me to warm up to but I was just apathetic when I first started to listen to that particular album. This one though, I kind of hate. I don't know if I'll ever like it enough to listen to the album as a whole. I like Burden, Porcelain Heart, and most of Hessian Peel. That's about it.

Opeth have never been "safe", but I'd go as far as saying Watershed is the least safe album yet. And thats fucking fantastic. There's a lot of influence from Jan Johansson's "Jazz på Svenska" on the album, which seems to put some guys of it, its like a happy mellancholy, which is right inbetween musical modes and just kicks major ass.

I have very few problems with Watershed, and its a clear 5/5 to me.
The problems I do have are related to songstrucures, which, at more than 4-5 places, seem a bit forced (the sudden entrance/exit of the awsum outro in heir, the whole porcelain heart song, and som start/stopness in general)

sounds wrong to me, doesnt seem to fit at all. I play the guitar (obv not professionally as mike does) and it sounds waaaay off.

*shrugs* it if aint wrong technically then fair enough, but to me and others i played it to who also pay, they've winced at it.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7334555 said:
Glad most of you like it!
To be honest I can't remember ever having gotten such great response to a new record....

As for the people not liking it, fine, I understand. It's not for everyone I guess. But don't ask us to "go back"...that will never happen I'm afraid.

Remember that even your favourite records are hated by others, and vice versa. There are no "facts" about the greatness of a record. It's purely individual. I mean, I love "The elder" by Kiss. Go and see what the general opinion on that record is....who's right? No one is....

As for me? I think Watershed is great! One of our best, maybe the best! But you all knew I'd say that....
And it IS one of the darkest and heaviest records we've ever done. To me it is...

Either way people, thanks for your support and even, thanks for your concern.

Mikey

A-fuckin'-men!! But, sorry, I can't stand Kiss!!:p
Never go back, always go forward, and congrats on your billboard chart rating. #23 in the U.S., wow!! You guys definitely stand out on that list!! One of the only bands with amazing quality/talent. Thanks for your amazing music.......

..............Mikey:lol:

(OK so that's my first and last ass-kiss to Mike. By the way, Mike, don't know if you guys have the fall tour all planned out, but a show or 2 ^NORTH^ of Boston would be fantastic!! Thanks, again.:cool:)