Watershed: Are you disapointed with it?

As with morningrise, it took me years to realise it was a masterpiece. I've been listening to Watershed over and over again and it's getting better every time.

At first i was a bit iffy with a few songs, but its grown onto me so much. I absolutely love it. I wish there was more growling, but it's not too big of a deal, still a masterpiece in my opinion.

Mikael Åkerfeldt;7349944 said:
I wonder what's progressive to him? Keeping his virginity for a lifetime?
OMG I almost died laughing!!!

I must admit that I was expecting another step forward from Ghost Reveries in Watershed. Instead Opeth pulled a side step and took us a totally different route! At first I was not digging it but I really do love Watershed!

I have noticed that most fans are so hardcore that they get so let down when bands don't follow the same formula from the last album and this really surprises me about progressive metal fans actually. You don't pop in a prog album to get a quick fix. You have to really dedicate some attention to those albums and songs. Knowing this I feel that alot of metal fans really miss what Opeth or prog bands/albums are like. You are not going to get it right away and Watershed is just like that. After acouple of listens I have really found alot of small parts that I really do enjoy with in the walls of sounds in all the Opeth songs in Watershed.

Opeth, keep it up! You guys are doing great in the progressive metal realm and I hope you keep growing and experimenting/progressing as you guy are. I wish you all the best.

someone correct me if i'm wrong. watershed is a great album and a bad album at the same time. it sees opeth trying to shoot for more commercial music as seen in Porcelain Heart, Burden, Coil. ON THE OTHER HAND, though, songs like THe Lotus Eater, Heir Apparent, and Hessian Peel, are just fuckin fantastic. the latter songs are as good, if not better than anything from GR and Deliverance. they have alot of depth and emotion in the songs. What i'd like to see opeth do for the next album is for them to keep in the direction of songs like Heir Apparent, Lotus Eater, Hessian Peel, but get some more "classic opeth" put into the mix, so that the album is focusing on moving forward, and with the sound moving back to the "blackwater park" standard of heaviness, fans would not see the album as dissapointing or too soft.

I'm still listening to Watershed. I liked it before, and I like it more and more with every week that goes by. To me it's a lot like all Opeth's past albums, in the sence that it took me time to truly grow to absolutely love them and see their genious and greatness. Amazing album, no complaints from me. It's a wicked addition to my cherished Opeth collection! :kickass:

it sees opeth trying to shoot for more commercial music as seen in Porcelain Heart, Burden, Coil.

What makes them commercial? Does it have a hook that you can hum to and can be used in a Coke commercial or to sell cars? Seriously, just because a song is not assassinating your ears does not mean that it's not metal or that Opeth is selling out or making "commercial" music. They are a prog band! Their music dips into all realms of musical emotions from soft to relentless. Whatever edge of the spectrum a track is on, Opeth's songs are all terrifyingly beautiful IMHO. Composition is your friend!

Watershed is a great album, better than all other music released so far this year, IMO. If I'm going to compare it to other Opeth works, I would say it's most like MAYH. Not so much musically, but it is similar in that they're both transitional records. The heavy parts are somewhat MAYH-ish though, at least they have a similar vibe to me, my ears personally. I'd say Watershed is a blend of MAYH, Damnation, and new elements, like a lite amount of shred, fusion jazz type stuff, and female vocals.

But I think Metallica will have a decent, but probably not groundbreaking, release.

lol "fusion jazz". i've always wondered how n00bs keep thinking that.

btw, there is nothing "commercial" about burden or coil. in fact i kind of see the songs as a homage to 70s prog bands, and that must be one of the most non-commercial things ever. ill agree about porcelain heart, though.

Maybe Porcelain Heart seems a bit commercial, but I think the riff is kick-ass and the mellow-tempoe of the song gives it a nice feel. Not fusion jazz, but feel! 8D

I'll come out of the closet now with sincere and stinging honesty and say I am really close to being sick of Watershed. Listened to it way too much, and there is too much sweetness..too much sugar...but, on the positive side, the album has made me go back and appreciate Blackwater Park more, the only Opeth album I haven't really liked so far! :headbang::)