Watershed Mikael's best vocal performance to date?

He is definitely a much better singer now than the old days. As an example, just listen to the clean singing on When from the Roundhouse Tapes, especially the end bit from "When can I take you from this place". Way better that the album version.

I love his voice on MAYH! Oh my God!(That's referred to Mikael)

Especially the looooong growl at the beginning of the second theme on April Etheral. (2:09)

Is voice has evolved alot over the years, and I can't decide what kind of growl I like the most!!

I think his clean vocals are the best on this one, yes. And for me that´s also because of "Bridge Of Sighs". He has developed a new facet of his voice in there, which I hope he is going to use also in Opeth songs.
As for growling, that´s more a matter of taste...especially for me, as I´m very picky with death growling. I liked his growls on "Deliverance" and on "Still Life" best, even if the latter is one of my least favourite albums.

I've always thought roughly the same as OT but I am also worried how much it is edited in studio because now his vocals, especially on burden, are almost too good heh.

Also on the subject of older vs newer vocals; His "new clean" vocals are indeed much "better" technically and from and objective point of view but I also have an enormous respect for the emotion and genuity of the older cleans, especially still life/MAYH and sometimes I prefer them over the new cleans he is singing. Also agreed on what above poster said about the When ending.

Tbh I think this is one of opeth's (yes, per is included here) best vocal performances:

skip to 3:40 and enjoy the clean guitars and then listen carefully at 04:35!

simply amazing

Last edited by a moderator:
His growls have come a long way from the black metal-ish rasps found on Orchid and Morningrise, to the deep growls he does on Heir Apparent. But I'm not a big fan of his cleans. Technically he's improved a lot from Orchid/MR but they don't sit with me on Watershed. Some of the melodies he wrote pushed his boundaries too far and I think it sounds almost parodyish at some points (like on Burden or PH).

I prefer the performance on Ghost Reveries. I don't like the effects used with the growls in songs like Heir Apparent. The clean vocals are great, but somehow I prefer the "cleaner" mix on GR.

i really like mikes bluesy style tone hes been using lately. Overall i liked his vocals more on GR, but technically hes much better on watershed. Mike has always been an amazing clean singer, hes just adding new singing styles. Its great.

I'm partial to Still Life and BWP's vocals. Still Life just sounds different, but in a good way... and BWP is evocative. Watershed is good too, but it doesn't stand out to me.