wave your hand in the air if you just don't care about breakdowns

August Burns Red's Messengers was one huge breakdown... and it's my favorite cd of all time. Also, August Burns Red is huge right now, if you couldn't tell.

You gotta understand why breakdowns exist... breakdowns are made for a live performance because of their insane dynamics. they're insanely powerful live and absolutely necessary... idk why everyone's hating on them.

breakdowns are sick. save some of the gay ones that you already know after listening to one time through the pattern.

I just find them to be really lame in how blatant they are - OMG LOOK OUT EVERYBODY IT'S THE HEAVY PART TIME TO MOSH, and everything stops, and the tempo changes (that's the worst part), they just feel so shoehorned in and out of place to me (and definitely NOT absolutely necessary IMO, but hey, whatever floats your boat :loco: )

However, I listened to that second Bury Your Dead song you posted, Ryan, and I actually thought it was pretty cool, cuz at least it had some semblance of a groove to it (rather than all that spastic chugging that makes me wretch) - I'd say pretty much the best example of the kind of breakdown I DESPISE is in this song

That semi-spoken word part leading into it ("a barren future, something something something"), SO lame :ill:

And fuck it, I've already started down the admittedly very juvenile road of " OMG MY MUSIC IS BETTER THAN YOURS AND HERE'S WHY" rants, so might as well go the whole 9 :Spin: Start at 2:59 in the song below, and when 3:09 comes in, Now THAT is a "breakdown" (although I personally wouldn't insult it by calling it that :loco: ), because it just grooves so fucking hard and doesn't feel blatantly out of place

Europe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> America once again :(

Last edited by a moderator:
It's mainly that fucking dance the kids do that really ruin it a lot for me.
Moshing is okay.
Hardcore/metalcore dancing is just fucking gay. It really is

There are so many douchey traits inherent to any number of music related social classifications, the problem is that thanks to the internet, simply not being around them doesn't get you away from them.

Like you can shake your head and decide not to watch the fadcore opening band but chances are some internet forum you haunt will contain any number of scene kids or douchey "open minded" types who paint themselves as upstarts or iconoclasts and can't resist infecting musical discussion with dictionary.com-assisted rants about the legitimacy of some ridiculous fusion of awful genres that's been around for 5 seconds (bands that played a dozen local shows and then grew out of puberty and quit don't count as a musical movement) that must be recognised and revered.

Everything here is so frustrating... how can you deny how powerful a breakdown is?!

Go see ABR live, and tell me 90% of the breakdowns don't make you want to punt cats and rip babies apart.

....some ridiculous fusion of awful genres that's been around for 5 seconds...

This is what i'm talking about.

you can't really call a genre awful. it's a preference. Some people like the genres that you think are stupid, believe it or not. :p

So stop talking about how gay the music is.. just leave it alone and choose not to like it.... It's kinda like the people that search youtube vids of a certain band just to comment them and say DIS BAND SUXX YO.

However, I listened to that second Bury Your Dead song you posted, Ryan, and I actually thought it was pretty cool, cuz at least it had some semblance of a groove to it (rather than all that spastic chugging that makes me wretch) - I'd say pretty much the best example of the kind of breakdown I DESPISE is in this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyYmJXSD_TI

That semi-spoken word part leading into it ("a barren future, something something something"), SO lame :ill:

Europe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> America once again :(

Really? I'd say you picked a really good breakdown to say sucks, but I understand if you don't like it.

Everything here is so frustrating... how can you deny how powerful a breakdown is?!

Go see ABR live, and tell me 90% of the breakdowns don't make you want to punt cats and rip babies apart.

I've seen 'em live a few times dude, and I'm completely over it. Overused breakdowns were cool when I was hearing them for the first time, but they get old very, very fast. Chances are that if you're a passionate musician, it's only a short matter of time before you get tired of them as well.

i love that unearth breakdown.

hell my favorite breakdown rythm of all time is Arch enemy - dehumamization, that chug pattern on the Daaamned miss lead children you never stood a chance
So fucking heavy

This is what i'm talking about.

you can't really call a genre awful. it's a preference. Some people like the genres that you think are stupid, believe it or not. :p

So stop talking about how gay the music is.. just leave it alone and choose not to like it.... It's kinda like the people that search youtube vids of a certain band just to comment them and say DIS BAND SUXX YO.

That's all well and good except my point was that having any kind of presence on the internet will lead to exposure to things that people may or may not like, and given the massive interactivity the internet offers all people of the world, invariably opinions will be voiced. Every single person has at least one thing they loathe, and being that people more often than not derive catharsis from expressing their negative feelings on a subject, you're bound to run into more negativity on the internet than anything else.

So rather than play the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" card, try to understand that I am as entitled to think that some music is terrible as you are to think it is good. Such is the free exchange of ideas.

That's all well and good except my point was that having any kind of presence on the internet will lead to exposure to things that people may or may not like, and given the massive interactivity the internet offers all people of the world, invariably opinions will be voiced. Every single person has at least one thing they loathe, and being that people more often than not derive catharsis from expressing their negative feelings on a subject, you're bound to run into more negativity on the internet than anything else.

So rather than play the "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all" card, try to understand that I am as entitled to think that some music is terrible as you are to think it is good. Such is the free exchange of ideas.

Nic, I can't tell if you're supporting me or condemning me for my little spiel, but regardless, to everyone else, of course I know music is music and if you love it far be it for me to want to take away that love; I just felt like a brief indulgence in high school music "debating" (for old time's sake :saint::D )

I didn't think about it until a friend of mine pointed it out, but this song has a fucking sweet slow riff that I guess you could call a breakdown

around 1.38

EDIT: God damn, I had forgotten what a fucking orgasm this song is. :headbang:

This is how to do it

Breakdowns are only cool if you got Dan Swanö doing growls in them (~2:22)

If they are done in the "right" way breakdowns can be awesome, like this:

But most *core breakdowns tend to get boring since almost everyone is doing the same(or very similar) thing. But as with everything if you don't like it then don't bother listening to it.

Waving my hands just because i got a good laugh out of the threat title :headbang:

This one guy i was trying out as a singer a while back was all about breakdowns to the point where it just bugged the fuck out of me. I'd spend a ton of time writing a song start to finish for all the instruments for the song and then he comes in (everytime) and goes "this song is so badass,but,wheres the breakdown? its not metal if theres no breakdown" needless to say after about the 10th time of hearing this i accidently his number and other contact info

So wait, is the definition of "breakdown" just any riff played slow/at half tempo? Becuse there is absolutely nothing about Ocean Planet I would call a "breakdown". If so, then that's stupid.

I seriously love the 2 separate groups on these boards. Are the same guys who were saying shit about Joey's productions being trash the same guys that hate breakdowns? haha.

I used to love breakdowns, but they get pretty cheesey now, unless they benefit the songwriting process. Obviously. I don't think anyone should have it in their mind to say, "O well, breakdowns are dumb now, so we CAN'T use them." I think if a song calls for a breakdown, then yah, put it in. However, like most of everyone else, don't be obnoxious with it. Breakdowns are like the trademark of what 80s hair metal was back then. It will die out and soon return to metal equilibrium. lol