We all live dreaming, so... post here your feelings, your thoughts, your dreams!

Caelestia said:
you're not that short. or is there another reason why you're called a dwarf? :guh:
there is. :) i'm sure it was posted before, but allright, regulars around here change, the green dots have everybody on edge so i might as well spit it out:

when hyena and i were in high school, during the whole of the first year we have been sitting next to each other near the back of the room. there were just three other boys in our class, the rest being girls. all three of them were taller than me. this was coincidental, since - in fact - i'm not that short.
once one of our teacher - who couldn't stand hyena but thought i was a keen guy, just a bit suspicious-looking because i used to hang out with hyena all the time, but still pretty cool - had the feeling hyena was just minding her own business without paying much attention. i can't remember whether that was true or not, actually. anyway, she wanted to get to see hyena better from where she was. to obtain this effect she had to have us swap places, as i was the one more visible from the the teacher's desk. in desperate need to make up a reason, she declared that we were to swap places since i was taller, and therefore could see the blackboard and teacher from a less advantaged position.
now this of course was total bullshit, since me and hyena have always been almost the same height, plus everyone knew i wasn't exceptionally gifted, vertically speaking. so the whole class started laughing and hyena, half to herself, commented through the disappointment that i was but a dwarf. :)

since the episode took place in... hmmm... 1992, possibly... it seems the nickname stuck for some time. ;)

rahvin.

rahvin: interesting tale... so that explains any dwarf or, indeed, lawn ornament references ;) but I just recognised your nickname when flipping through one of my books... now I feel stupid, it took me til now... should've recognised it way earlier :p

@northern lights: what are you doing flipping through the wheel of time? read it all from cover to cover! and if you already did, read it again! after all nr. 11 won't be out till 2005 or something. ;)

@tristessa: you may thank me if you feel like it. :tickled: ;)

rahvin.

@rahvin: I'm currently trying to finish The Path of Daggers, so I've still got some reading to do before it's time to start with nr 11. With that speed, Jordan might have finished the whole series while I'm still on book 10 or so... And sometimes you need to flip throuh one of the older books to get a character description ;) there are so many...

You might also find http://www.wotmania.com useful, Northern Lights, it has as well as the usual information, quotes from particular characters, theories on what will happen next (when you finally tire of reading Crossroads of Twilight for the ninth time since its release) and a good section on other authors so you can expand your collection. Out of curiousity, has anyone else ever tried to read George R R Martin's series? I got about halfway through the first book and felt terminal depression :lol:

Yours sincerely,
Baalzamo...Dark Jester

Onyx said:
|ngenius, are you interested in this personally? If that is the reason, I can tell.

I just want to know the reason why of the question. If I won something, wanna put my hands on the main prize. :)

@Rahvin: Moving story. It's curious how the class distribution is a significant problem for teachers in general. Mine used to change my location because of my long hair and my more noticeable verticality (yes, dwarfs are not the only victims when it comes to height affairs). The actual reason, according with the explanation my philosphy teacher gave me, was that I looked like someone conflictive. It's not so reasonable either, but well... that's it.

|ngenius (Tall and long-haired robotic hippie)

I've been relocated in some classrooms by some teachers, but not for my height: cause i was in the back of the room and didn't pay attention at all, of course i came back to my place at the end of the hour, and never went in the front of the class anymore :p

well, the year after that i was conveniently placed right behind a rather big pillar, while hyena suffered a sad fate by being very visible sitting to my left. but i weren't moved as our teacher was oddly convinced i wasn't up to mischief, which in fact i was all the time.

@|ngenius: don't you have the feeling you wrote what you wrote so that i could make a joke involving upper or lower class? :p

rahvin.

i recalled the dwarf story kind of differently. what rahve says is true, but the exact moment i came up with the nickname was a different one. this swapping places episode had already occurred. someone came into our class to proclaim a play called "the yellow dwarf" was about to be on in some theater and we were invited. rahve wore a yellow sweater that day. i looked at him and nothing had ever felt more right in the world :D that was it, the yellow dwarf. i might have used the word dwarf referring to him before, but that was the nickname moment.

also, very true about that fucking pillar. me, i was the target of scowls and glares and sneers on the part of our lit professor, and it's not incidental that she is now roaming psychiatric wards in the city's hospitals. never cross a smart slytherin. :D