We Are the Void: Your favourite track

Your favourite track of We Are the Void

• Total voters
Her Silent Language, as a whole rocks. Anyone who says otherwise has clearly been drinking and internetting. The guitars are the standout. The vocals in those verses would be mea- (wait for it...) -ningless if not for the tender desolation of that riff.

But great guitarwork is to be expected from DT and there's plenty of that on the other songs already, while the clean vocals on Her Silent Language are probably Stanne's best. I'm not saying it's a bad song, for it is not, but it simply isn't that special apart from the clean vocals.

-Villain

The answer is clearly Arkhangelsk. You could tell it was going to be awesome as soon as the track titles where announced: since they do not normally write about anything as specific & concrete as an actual, physical place, even as a metaphor, when they do something different is probably going on. And when DT decide to do something different, it usually results in awesome.

Grandest Accusation and the Fatalist are great as well.

I am an asshole, and I voted before getting to hear the last two bonus tracks. I would really like to amend my vote to Out of Gravity.

Out of Gravity is the "Below the Radiance" of WAtV. I haven't seen writing credits yet, but it's got Henriksson/Jivarp written all over it. Super technical, including some timing that I have never heard before, and I like that kind of thing in my music. Mikael turns in one of his best vocal performances, and the lyrics make me seriously wonder if that man needs a hug because I kind of do after hearing it. Alone, I set out to find you...

Oh yeah, and besides being incredibly technical at the microscopic level, the same section of the song, on the grand scale, actually references a much older type of song. Like, classical ensemble and ball-gown old. More on this later.

Why the hell are these songs cut? They should almost be the singles, methinks.

I am an asshole, and I voted before getting to hear the last two bonus tracks. I would really like to amend my vote to Out of Gravity.

Out of Gravity is the "Below the Radiance" of WAtV. I haven't seen writing credits yet, but it's got Henriksson/Jivarp written all over it. Super technical, including some timing that I have never heard before, and I like that kind of thing in my music. Mikael turns in one of his best vocal performances, and the lyrics make me seriously wonder if that man needs a hug because I kind of do after hearing it. Alone, I set out to find you...

Oh yeah, and besides being incredibly technical at the microscopic level, the same section of the song, on the grand scale, actually references a much older type of song. Like, classical ensemble and ball-gown old. More on this later.

Why the hell are these songs cut? They should almost be the singles, methinks.

Yup, they're great tracks, that's why I added them to the list. It's funny that you mention the 'singles, since, for some reason, DT doesn't really release many singles or EPs. If they do it's in very limited quantities. Just look at the 'Focus Shift one', it was only available (at first) when the band was touring the U.S.

DT only has three singles and four EPs. Three of those four EPs were released when they recorded with a label other than Century Media. I still don't get why there're rarely any singles or EPs from DT, I was very happy with the 'Lost to Apathy' one. I guess that says what kind of label CM is.

I don't think the bonus tracks should be released as singles/EPs, as they're that, bonus tracks. But I want more EPs to be honest.

Vote amended! :)

I don't think that's fair, if you start 'amending' votes, you should do it for everyone. It's destroying the real purpose of the survey IMO. I want to change my vote too then, I'd like to vote for 'At the Point of Ignition'.

Would like to know how to get that one though. From which special edition is it?

Don't you know what Nihon means ;) ? It's the bonus track for Japan.

Yeah, but if everyone votes on partial information, the poll data is even less useful. That said, most bonus tracks, from pre-internet days, or ones that only made it onto Exposures probably weren't included in those album polls, since they weren't even released. In keeping with that, maybe the poll should have only reflected the original 11, as they are the only ones that were available to most people.

As for singes: I guess you're thinking of singles in the purchasable format. Since the US record industry did everything that they could to destroy singles during the CD Era, I just think of a single as the song released to radio, provided with a video, and possible released as a CD. Really, DT would be an impossible band to select singles for, at least for me. Really, which song summarizes this CD? None, so you could only choose songs which demonstrate it's range. Hence, DO and ATPOI being "forerunners" while SiOB gets a video.

I don't even know if it matters, really. Everyone's going to hear the full album (legally or not), and make their judgment based on that. That's part of the reason I think the internet age is better for bands like DT that put out a solid, consistent album with a variety of good ideas. The radio age only served those who recorded one or two good songs, or didn't have much range to show off in the singles.

Yeah, but if everyone votes on partial information, the poll data is even less useful. That said, most bonus tracks, from pre-internet days, or ones that only made it onto Exposures probably weren't included in those album polls, since they weren't even released. In keeping with that, maybe the poll should have only reflected the original 11, as they are the only ones that were available to most people.

As for singes: I guess you're thinking of singles in the purchasable format. Since the US record industry did everything that they could to destroy singles during the CD Era, I just think of a single as the song released to radio, provided with a video, and possible released as a CD. Really, DT would be an impossible band to select singles for, at least for me. Really, which song summarizes this CD? None, so you could only choose songs which demonstrate it's range. Hence, DO and ATPOI being "forerunners" while SiOB gets a video.

I don't even know if it matters, really. Everyone's going to hear the full album (legally or not), and make their judgment based on that. That's part of the reason I think the internet age is better for bands like DT that put out a solid, consistent album with a variety of good ideas. The radio age only served those who recorded one or two good songs, or didn't have much range to show off in the singles.

I disagree, there can never be enough DT releases, I'd love more EPs. Not singles, but EPs. The poll is fine like that, I believe that most people pirated the songs (at least the bonus ones) so they do get to listen to them. It's not 'partial' information, but making a solid decision after listening to all the songs.

More releases is always great, but printing things costs money. At the same time, unless an artist feels the need to write in short bursts (like an EP), there's really not much point to doing so. They're handy as a way of forecasting new ideas (note that OCEN sounds a lot like The Gallery, but not much like Skydancer). Really, they usually fill up with tracks that wouldn't go on an album. Derivation TNB is a really neat idea, but wouldn't really make sense as a full album track on its own. The In Flames Trigger EP (the only EP I've ever owned) is basically stuffed with whatever random shit they could find.

Regarding the poll: we're hardly scientific, so this serves little purpose other than to satisfy our curiosity. Given the trouble I had finding the rarer bonus tracks, I don't think it's unheard of that many others voting have not heard them either.

At the same time, depending on the time between the release and the poll (which probably fluctuates each release), you're going to get completely different data. Had you asked me nine years ago what my favorite song was on Projector, I'd have said The Sun Fired Blanks. Now, I'd probably lead more towards Dobermann or On Your Time. Similarly, the opinions over time will change for this one as well.

That wasn't my intent in getting my vote amended, of course; I made a bad choice on partial information, and the poll now reflects what it would have if I had waited a week. If the poll is only supposed to reflect "from the hip" guesses about a favorite track, then there seems little point in also having people post opinions on why they chose what they did. If they're just guessing in a five minute consideration of the poll, then there's really no point in them sharing the logic behind the decision.

That said, amending the poll for everyone who wants too could turn into a nightmare. I'm not sure why we're not able to individually make our own amendments; it's not like we're selecting a politician, anyway.

More releases is always great, but printing things costs money. At the same time, unless an artist feels the need to write in short bursts (like an EP), there's really not much point to doing so. They're handy as a way of forecasting new ideas (note that OCEN sounds a lot like The Gallery, but not much like Skydancer). Really, they usually fill up with tracks that wouldn't go on an album. Derivation TNB is a really neat idea, but wouldn't really make sense as a full album track on its own. The In Flames Trigger EP (the only EP I've ever owned) is basically stuffed with whatever random shit they could find.

Regarding the poll: we're hardly scientific, so this serves little purpose other than to satisfy our curiosity. Given the trouble I had finding the rarer bonus tracks, I don't think it's unheard of that many others voting have not heard them either.

At the same time, depending on the time between the release and the poll (which probably fluctuates each release), you're going to get completely different data. Had you asked me nine years ago what my favorite song was on Projector, I'd have said The Sun Fired Blanks. Now, I'd probably lead more towards Dobermann or On Your Time. Similarly, the opinions over time will change for this one as well.

That wasn't my intent in getting my vote amended, of course; I made a bad choice on partial information, and the poll now reflects what it would have if I had waited a week. If the poll is only supposed to reflect "from the hip" guesses about a favorite track, then there seems little point in also having people post opinions on why they chose what they did. If they're just guessing in a five minute consideration of the poll, then there's really no point in them sharing the logic behind the decision.

That said, amending the poll for everyone who wants too could turn into a nightmare. I'm not sure why we're not able to individually make our own amendments; it's not like we're selecting a politician, anyway.

It'd love to have more EPs anyhow, if there're still some tracks left from WA(t)V I'd love to hear them, and an EP would be a great way.

I didn't find the tracks hard to find, I had them within a week of the release. I guess that it's different with each person, but I think one should make a choice when one is 'fully' informed. If not, then wait a week and then take your decision.

Obviously it'd be a mess if everyone gets to choose again, but why should you be the only one? Not really fair, is it?

I don't think that's fair, if you start 'amending' votes, you should do it for everyone. It's destroying the real purpose of the survey IMO. I want to change my vote too then, I'd like to vote for 'At the Point of Ignition'.

I never said I wouldn't do it for everyone who asked. Maybe I won't be frantically reading every post looking for subtle hints of the latest changes in your whim, though, so sending a PM might be necessary.
I fail to see how the real purpose of the survey would be to document what people thought the best song was before they changed their mind, but - hey - it's not my survey anyway. ;)

Ah OK, grazie. I noticed that you moved my vote to 'At the Point of Ignition'. Why did you do that?!?! I didn't want that song!!! :ill::zombie::erk:

Just kidding hehe, thanks a lot. I also saw that even if you 'move' the vote, the name of the voter stays in the original one. It'll be quite a mess if everyone starts changing their vote because you'd have a song with (e.g.) the names of two people that voted for it, but only a vote. We'd be creating a paradox that might threaten our delicate existence as DT forum members!

Cheers!

About the legal or illegal thing: I must admit I got Below the Radiance, A Closer End, Silence In The House of Tongues and Winter Triangle illegally, since I figured I wasn't gonna spend another 15 euros for those 4 tracks, although, in retrospect, they are worth it so I might as well do it. Haven't figured how I'm gonna get Japanese bonus tracks from WATV though...

Haven't figured how I'm gonna get Japanese bonus tracks from WATV though...

From Japan? I think someone posted the link in the main album thread above. Japanese CDs are pretty expensive, especially imported, so I'm not certain anyone would blame you if you DLed a copy to supplement your legal purchase.

But, at the same time, the import is another way to throw a few bucks in the DT hat, and imports are collectible. Now, as to spending ten bucks on intangible files for one bonus track...