We Are the Void: Reviews

The pacing here is intentional, I think. Lyrically, Arkhangelsk introduces the second major lyrical theme on the album, and the two fast tracks that come next return frantically to the theme of the first half as the moment of reckoning draws near. That moment occurs in Iridium.

I'm not going to say which themes those are, though, because people need to play with these lyrics and ideas on their own for a while. Suffice to say, this is probably the single most lyrically complex DT album to date.

I also find that song quality increases with track number for the first seven tracks of this album, but to me the peak, both emotionally and tension-wise, is reached on tracks seven and eight. Funny how the exact opposite poles in the album (my two favorite tracks from it and my least favorite track from it) are right next to each other. Then it goes back up with the last two songs but doesn't quite reach the enormous heights Arkhangelsk and Her silent language established.

Yeah, Arkhangelsk is goddamn brilliant. But I love Iridium as well. I thought the construction of the record at the end was masterful. There was some stuff that I could've done without early on, but all-in-all I think this record is definitely a much more emotionally *deep* album and I love that feeling.

This album is a major disappointment. I will be reviewing it for my university newspaper next week.

I want to read that. Seriously.

Cuz it will be like watching someone shit his pants in public :Smug:

I absolutely agree with this guy. Dark Tranquillity was good in the 90's, but since Reroute to Remain it's been a never-ending downward spiral.

STYE had it's moments, but I disagree about downward spiral... it's like they went sideways on an angle or something like that... I don't even like tot alk about that after all the miscellaneous bullshit that surrounds the topic.

i know u are being ironic but this just might still apply, why is it so important in metal to stay "metal"???! in every singel WATV review is a sidenote about inflames and how they arent metal anymore blablabla. metalheads must be the most narrowminded people ever ( i know im shitting where i sleep haha) Isnt the important part to compose and play good (subjetcitve ofcourse) music? To me, metal is just another form or shape that it comes out through. Take projector for example, what a terrefic piece of music. And yes, i think soundtrack to your escape, for example, is a great album. They still compose genious melodies for example. Sorry for being off-topic but this really f-ng bothers me.

Suffice to say, this is probably the single most lyrically complex DT album to date.

I dunno man, I still think Skydancer holds that honour. A lot of people seem to think they just wrote a load of pseudo-poetic bullshit but a lot of it makes sense and is very deep.

NOT A THREADJACK

i know u are being ironic but this just might still apply, why is it so important in metal to stay "metal"???! in every singel WATV review is a sidenote about inflames and how they arent metal anymore blablabla. metalheads must be the most narrowminded people ever ( i know im shitting where i sleep haha) Isnt the important part to compose and play good (subjetcitve ofcourse) music? To me, metal is just another form or shape that it comes out through. Take projector for example, what a terrefic piece of music. And yes, i think soundtrack to your escape, for example, is a great album. They still compose genious melodies for example. Sorry for being off-topic but this really f-ng bothers me.

I don't care to dispute your taste at all, so please don't take this personally or see it as an affront. In the simplest way possible, its not that the new In Flames is not "metal" enough, its that it sucks, regardless of genre. Not to step on any toes of those who like the post-Clayman In Flames, but I'm of the opinion that every bit of it is self-derived drivel, like they're intentionally mocking their older sound in order to market to the newer generation of metal fans. Its totally cool if you enjoy it and more power to ya, but I'm fairly certain that the general critical (and fan) response is that they quite simply suck the big one and have for a while. As far as composition goes, 2000's In Flames can't hold a candle to 2000's DT. Ask Stizzle.

I listen to all forms of music, and I like to think of them as different voices. WATV is pretty soft at points, and even if that causes it to diverge from 'metal', it's still art, and that's all that matters. Metal, or any genre, turns into a tiny box for some of the bigger souls in music, and that's why they break out. So, at least that far, I absolutely agree: mix elements of every genre that you need to express yourself. DT certainly has, and In Flames either advanced in a direction that satisfied them artistically (and coincided with the mainstream) or sold out; it's impossible to know having not been in the writing room with them. Either way, bashing In Flames for the hell of it is pointless, and I just hope they're happy with their work.

As to my comment, it was a shibboleth. I was feigning ignorance of the topic at hand because the original poster irritated me and I wanted to get in before anyone wasted energy responding to him.

I dunno man, I still think Skydancer holds that honour. A lot of people seem to think they just wrote a load of pseudo-poetic bullshit but a lot of it makes sense and is very deep.

All of the bands in the cliche "Gothenburg set" have had meaningful lyrics since the beginning, this is true. As to WATV, my interpretation points to a very well thought-out investigation of man's individual relationship with death, along with a surprisingly positive "What are you going to do about it?" prompt. Then, just to be metal as fuck, they magnify it by setting those questions of death against an enormous catastrophe, the specifics of which are cleverly hidden in the lyrics. Seriously, death metal is all about extreme lyrics, but when you realize the scale on which Mikael has approached death this time around you'll give up on sissy bands like Cannibal Corpse.

As a younger man, Mikael's beautiful words about alienation and misanthrope became a part of me because they put a name to nebulous feelings. I'm a decade younger than him, with all that entails, so I'm not really intimately feeling the subject of WATV. Even so, these words will be food for thought as I continue on from here. More on this at a later date.

In the simplest way possible, its not that the new In Flames is not "metal" enough, its that it sucks, regardless of genre. Not to step on any toes of those who like the post-Clayman In Flames, but I'm of the opinion that every bit of it is self-derived drivel, like they're intentionally mocking their older sound in order to market to the newer generation of metal fans. Its totally cool if you enjoy it and more power to ya, but I'm fairly certain that the general critical (and fan) response is that they quite simply suck the big one and have for a while.

I generally agree with you. I would only point out that """critical""" (I can't scare-quote that word often enough) and fan response shouldn't be used as gauges of merit. I don't like the new In Flames, so I don't have much to say about it. That people do only really indicates that people are either a) huge fans of the glory of old In Flames, justifiably upset and feeling left behind for the big crowds, or b) typical music critics. Everyone has opinions, and they're welcome to them, but some people either spew crap to start fights, or they just want to rise to the vaunted level of "Professional Music Critic", a messiah-like figure who has better taste and knows more about music than you ever could. These people are generally happy to guide you away from whatever musical filth you're wasting your time with in order to direct you to something you'll enjoy less. Or just flame everyone because they get bored.

So, I've got nothing much to say about new In Flames; I just don't care. If that's what some people enjoy, I'm just glad that they enjoy something. Whether droves of others do means nothing to art; whether "critics" do means even less.

As far as composition goes, 2000's In Flames can't hold a candle to 2000's DT. Ask Stizzle.

I'm not your plaything! You can't just bait me for an opinion any time you want! But I can't shut up, so:

In Flames should have just been named "The Jesper Stromblad Show" from the beginning. The band was never much more than awesome leads, and some other stuff going on to support the unrivaled glory of those leads. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I mean, I have a complex, multi-tiered relationship with Dark Tranquillity, but I fuck In Flames on the side sometimes. Great melody, little depth. Easy to get into, but no reason to stay. In terms of sonic depth, interplay between instruments, technical complexity, and musical sophistication, I know who I'm coming home to.

An example of what's wrong with new In Flames: Interesting intro. Unusually bright for death metal, but sexy anyway. 0:35 is absolutely blowing me away; I think I'm in love. It's even better the second time, with vocals. Then 1:21 hits. I'm not really sure how this follows the section before. I don't understand the transition here; the tension is all wrong, and the emotional shift feels backwards. I don't even know why someone wrote this riff. But my biggest point of confusion is why the hell Sweden doesn't have a law against allowing Anders Friden, once a great voice in metal, to make this noise. What the hell is wrong with this band?

Thread = "jacked";

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to post this so I can place-hold my spot in the thread-jacking, as to keep it in one solid block, and I'll edit it later when I have more time to compose a decent response. Stizzle, I wanna buy you a fucking beer (or whatever you drink, or if you don't drink its negotiable). I have nothing but awe and appreciation for your intelligent and well-written posts. Not to be a complete ass-kiss, its just that well-thought-out responses are so goddamn rare on the internet its like finding someone's engagement ring in the port-o-john (and no, I'm not speaking out of experience).

stizzleomnibus said:
Suffice to say, this is probably the single most lyrically complex DT album to date.
DE4life said:
The mind's i hands down. Just look at stuff like Insanity's crescendo (in my opinion, that's the best song/piece/opus anyone in the history of music has ever composed), Constant, Dissolution factor red and Tongues.

I suppose it's a little subjective because of the multiple possible interpretations of everything 90s-DT, but i'd love to debate about this issue if anyone cares to join me. :)

(I'm not sure this counts as on topic, seeing as, while it's DT and not In Flames, it's not WATV anymore. Hmm...)

I listen to all forms of music, and I like to think of them as different voices. WATV is pretty soft at points, and even if that causes it to diverge from 'metal', it's still art, and that's all that matters. Metal, or any genre, turns into a tiny box for some of the bigger souls in music, and that's why they break out. So, at least that far, I absolutely agree: mix elements of every genre that you need to express yourself. DT certainly has, and In Flames either advanced in a direction that satisfied them artistically (and coincided with the mainstream) or sold out; it's impossible to know having not been in the writing room with them. Either way, bashing In Flames for the hell of it is pointless, and I just hope they're happy with their work.

Thread = "jacked";

well, thank you for sparing me the work of writing the what u just said. I think ill stop writing alltogether, same opinion but more musical knowledge, i dont know how to top your posts haha. As u said, the key issue here is motives and ambition behind the change. I dont like the "new" flames either, but i refrain from screaming selllout, just like hordes of people did when projector came out.

However, i think an appropiate closing comment ending the jacking of the thread can be suitable ... Speaking of development in relation to WATV, i think DT can only take further steps away from metal in the future, i dont think theres any going back. I mean if they after this made another character, damage or fiction, that just wouldnt work. Thus, accordning to some metalheads, DT will enter the path of "selling out". Personally, i think they should refine the concpet of combinating heavy doomish riffs with clean singing and goth...Thus the next album will be a combination of projector/her silent language/grand and iridium/arkhangelsk. Mikaels clean vocals are way to good to be used so sparsely!! did i just go offtopic again?

As u said, the key issue here is motives and ambition behind the change.

Not quite. Whatever the motive behind playing one thing or the other, the final product stands on its own. Quite a lot of music has been made for no reason other than to be commercial, and some of it's pretty good. Whatever you think of the members of In Flames is irrelevant to what you think of the music. I hate it so hard I can't even say, but I genuinely believe that they're passionate about it.

That said, it means something to me that artists create what they have to, without tempering it for commercial purposes. Projector was basically DT's big double-middle-finger to musical/genre conventions, and the artistic motivation shows through. Most pop doesn't share that sense of passion, it just sounds like it was meant to entertain and sell.

Speaking of development in relation to WATV, i think DT can only take further steps away from metal in the future, i dont think theres any going back.

At this point, it would be pointless to try to guess where DT is going in the future. Projector and Haven stepped so far outside of death metal, but since Damage Done they're back into it in a big way. I don't think this has anything to do with trying to be "into or out of" a genre; I think it's motivated by what they feel they need to play to be happy at any given moment. They've perfectly fused so many different elements, and the next album could be darker and heavier, or it could be even warmer than WATV. My instinct, though, is that it won't sound like anything that you could imagine. Really, after Fiction, is WATV anything like you thought it would be? The answer to that question is why we'll all be listening closely for their next release.

Stizzle, I wanna buy you a fucking beer (or whatever you drink, or if you don't drink its negotiable). I have nothing but awe and appreciation for your intelligent and well-written posts. Not to be a complete ass-kiss, its just that well-thought-out responses are so goddamn rare on the internet its like finding someone's engagement ring in the port-o-john (and no, I'm not speaking out of experience).

What this guy said. And I haven't yet even peeked into the Technical Reference -thread, for my copy of WAtV still hasn't arrived (it was supposed to be here yesterday, but now I'm afraid it might be next week before I get it). I'll try to offer my meager thoughts on the topic once I've had the chance to listen to the album properly.

-Villain

Not quite. Whatever the motive behind playing one thing or the other, the final product stands on its own. Quite a lot of music has been made for no reason other than to be commercial, and some of it's pretty good. Whatever you think of the members of In Flames is irrelevant to what you think of the music. I hate it so hard I can't even say, but I genuinely believe that they're passionate about it.

That said, it means something to me that artists create what they have to, without tempering it for commercial purposes. Projector was basically DT's big double-middle-finger to musical/genre conventions, and the artistic motivation shows through. Most pop doesn't share that sense of passion, it just sounds like it was meant to entertain and sell.

At this point, it would be pointless to try to guess where DT is going in the future. Projector and Haven stepped so far outside of death metal, but since Damage Done they're back into it in a big way. I don't think this has anything to do with trying to be "into or out of" a genre; I think it's motivated by what they feel they need to play to be happy at any given moment. They've perfectly fused so many different elements, and the next album could be darker and heavier, or it could be even warmer than WATV. My instinct, though, is that it won't sound like anything that you could imagine. Really, after Fiction, is WATV anything like you thought it would be? The answer to that question is why we'll all be listening closely for their next release.

Well, thats true in one sense, ambition/motives was aiming for the selling out part. Being comercial is not quite the same thing always but its a hard line to draw. For me, selling out means compromising something, comercial can be selling out or it can just be comercial. Im not quite sure what i want to say and its too late and im too tired.

Well, actually, its exactly what i was hoping for. After fiction, which was great but a bit disapointing i wrote a note so well-recieved comment on this forum stating things about a lack of intensety and progression etc etc and that the first track, the sixth and the last was the only ones that were really good. I also wrote that i think that the next album had to be different or else dt would cease to exist, and niklas recently actually stated in a interview that it was necessary to do something different this time around, at least as far as he was concerned. My hopes for WATV was that niklas got more space in the songwriting, opening up for a development of inside the particle stormish kind of songs, and that they would go more towards the extremes, meaning softer and harder and heavier, darker growls and more clean singing, and just less of the midtempo standardstuff. And this is where i hope they will keep going for, but ofcourse, its just speculation and they might want to go back to making standard death, but at least to me, that would mean the death of this band...or at least that our loveaffair will come to a bitter halt (sorry couldnt resist it)