We lost an Oceansoul today...

Teleute

Oceansoul
Feb 5, 2005
NJ
Hi all. I know I haven't been on the board in a very long time, and unfortunately I come back today to deliver terrible news.

Zelda has lost a battle with cancer today. She was only sick for a few short months, it spread very aggressively. Despite this, and despite the pain her illness caused, she remained the upbeat, hopeful, fierce Oceansoul she always was. Anyone who met her, whether here on the forums or in real life, will attest to how unique and wonderful a person she was.

Please join me in keeping her family, her boyfriend Chris, and all of her friends in your thoughts and prayers.

I had come here today to make an announcement post about her passing myself. I wasn't even sure you were aware of it Tel. I was trying to figure out how to get in touch with you these days to at least let you know.

This has hit all of us extremely hard. Not only was she a long time core part of the OSA, but for my part, she was a long time and very dear friend. It was Zellie that introduced me to the OSA oh so long ago, and it was Zellie that I would most look forward to seeing or talking to just to brighten up the day or because there was something interesting going on and we were on the same wavelength for most of it.

Her zest and lust for life will never be forgotten. She always wanted to see and do and be VITAL. She had a certain innocence about her which was endearing, and she was gifted in ways most people can never hope to be.

All that is left is her legacy as a person and as an author. Her writing was her passion and her dream. I urge everyone to visit http://Zellie.info for any and all information, and specifically This Post for options on buying her book at Lulu.com and keeping her legacy alive (all proceeds to go to the American Cancer Society).

I'm speecless. My deepest condolences to her dearest, family and friends.

I never met Zelda personally, but got to know her through the old OSA board back in 2004 and always enjoyed her lively posts which had so positive view of life, whaever the subject was.

My prayers will go for her. She will be missed.

Cloud contacted me on Sunday and it took me a couple of days to get on here the news came as such a shock to me. I want to pass on my condolences to Zellie's family and friends you are in my thoughts.

It has been a long time since I have been on here as well, but it seems like only yesterday that I was spending late nights in OSA chat rooms with Zellie and many other wonderful OSA members. Her light and presence was truly a joy.

This is devastating news. I am speechless.

I am just absolutely stunned. I can't find the words to express what I feel. Zellie was the only other person left besides me who was a part of OSA from the very beginning. She will be a part of us forever. I never got to meet her in person, but I always considered her a friend and I will miss her terribly. I, too, will remember with fondness the OSA chats and the many posts that made me laugh and smile even on a bad day.

This is not the time to think of it now, but after some time has passed and we all have grieved here together, I would like to do something on the OSA site in honor of Zellie's memory, so that she will be with us always and that anyone who comes along in the future will know how important she was---and always will be---to us. I hope that no one here thinks I am being presumptuous in saying this, but I would just really like to do something in her memory and I can't think of anything else. But like everyone else, I am far too saddened to give it any kind of real thought.

There is something I can do right now: I can put this post at the very front of the forum as a sticky topic so that everyone coming into this forum will know what Zellie meant to us.

Tramz: Check your PMs, since that seems to be the only way I can contact you right now.

Zellie, I will miss you forever, my Libra buddy.

This is devastating news. I am speechless.

after some time has passed and we all have grieved here together, I would like to do something on the OSA site in honor of Zellie's memory, so that she will be with us always and that anyone who comes along in the future will know how important she was---and always will be---to us. I hope that no one here thinks I am being presumptuous in saying this, but I would just really like to do something in her memory and I can't think of anything else. But like everyone else, I am far too saddened to give it any kind of real thought.

Zellie, I will miss you forever, my Libra buddy.

It's not presumptuous at all. I had the same thought myself. Any way that keeps her memory alive is a good thing. Being the Virgo packrat that I am, I must have saved every picture she ever sent me, which now seems like a very good thing, along with those I had taken during the 2007 Nightwish tour for TZT week. I have a bunch of audio clips she had made, and even a bit of video that at this point might be public-worthy (Tel might remember the one from Vintage Vinyl of Zellie singing with her swaying behind her heh). We will see what might be appropriate once things aren't quite so emotional.

For those who may not keep up with the news on Zellie.info, you will be happy to know that her book, Lightning Spliced is selling! As of the end of the day on September 7th (not even 2 full days since she left us), it has sold 28 copies (23 physical copies and 5 e-books). There may be even more today. For all here who may have lent their hand to this most worthy cause (both Zellie's legacy and cancer research), I thank you. I am also happy to report that her favorite author, JC Hutchins (Personal Effects, 7th Son), has said some eloquent things about Zellie and in support of her book. You can read it here. The story has since gotten picked up by a few other blogs as well. There will also be a dedication to her on the next episode of the Super Number One podcast (episode 33), which can be found on iTunes, or here. All of this and Lightning Spliced hasn't even hit Amazon.com yet. I only wish she were here to see that she finally made it.

If you haven't yet purchased a copy of Lightning Spliced, but you are interested, scroll up in this thread to my last post for links on how to do just that!

For those who may not keep up with the news on Zellie.info, you will be happy to know that her book, Lightning Spliced is selling! As of the end of the day on September 7th (not even 2 full days since she left us), it has sold 28 copies (23 physical copies and 5 e-books). There may be even more today. For all here who may have lent their hand to this most worthy cause (both Zellie's legacy and cancer research), I thank you. I am also happy to report that her favorite author, JC Hutchins (Personal Effects, 7th Son), has said some eloquent things about Zellie and in support of her book. You can read it here. The story has since gotten picked up by a few other blogs as well. There will also be a dedication to her on the next episode of the Super Number One podcast (episode 33), which can be found on iTunes, or here. All of this and Lightning Spliced hasn't even hit Amazon.com yet. I only wish she were here to see that she finally made it.

This is indeed a light of hope in these dark times. I only hope the book continues to do well and do more for cancer research.

And yes, I still have the e-mails she sent me last year for the OSA Memories section. I am horrible at deleting e-mails, but in this instance, I'm glad I never got around to letting go of it. I don't have much, just those e-mails, the pictures she sent me, the VCD of Nightwish videos she made for me many years ago, and her greatest legacy to the OSA---the one and only newsletter that was ever printed, that she did almost entirely single-handedly. Perhaps someday I can get some more copies made for those of you who don't have a copy or who were not around here when the copies were made.

Like I already wrote to Tramz, this has hit me so much harder than even I thought it would. I didn't expect to be indifferent by any means, but I didn't expect to stay awake last night until well past 5 a.m. either, so distraught over this that I just couldn't sleep. My heart is with Zellie's family and friends at this time. I only wish there was more I could do in her honor.

Being the Virgo packrat that I am, I must have saved every picture she ever sent me, which now seems like a very good thing, along with those I had taken during the 2007 Nightwish tour for TZT week. I have a bunch of audio clips she had made, and even a bit of video that at this point might be public-worthy (Tel might remember the one from Vintage Vinyl of Zellie singing with her swaying behind her heh). We will see what might be appropriate once things aren't quite so emotional.

Hehe, I was watching that this morning, and looking at the photos from then. I think a section on OSA would be a fitting tribute.... Walking in the Air v2.

I've been up for the last several nights, not getting more than an hour or three of sleep, ever since I found out she had been sent home on hospice (the wonders of Facebook, eh?)... with all the assholes in this world who live to a ripe old age, all the boring, unimaginative, petty people... why her? I don't suppose any of us ever will understand this sort of thing, and I guess we're not meant to. Now I'm finding myself smiling, though, because y'know what... she did a fantastic job at living, A++. No one did it better, with more smiles, laughs, insanity and silliness. She may have gotten a shorter time here than most, but she sucked every bit of life out of that time.

First, I want to ask for forgiveness for not being on here enough. Duties of fatherhood, my new band (yes, I am playing the drums again and have my own band!) and RFUSA take up most of my time.

When I recieved word that Zellie had died, I was shocked. She was so young and so full of vigor. I eagerly anticipated the next Nightwish US Tour so I could finally meet her in person and have that big meet-up that I was not a part of before because my daughter was just born.

I think of her humor and her love of music, her eccentric tastes, her caring ways and her Nightwish dolls! I miss our great conversations that we used to have on here. I feel partly responsible for the loss of the fun and innocent atmosphere we had on here at the beginning. I was obsessed with getting us recognition and I was not a capable leader. I can only hope that the loss of this wonderful person and the sorrow we all share for her loss can bring us all back together again like we used to be. I love and miss you all.

My webzine is helping out with a fundraiser called Metal For A Cause (you can find it on Facebook) which is helping to raise funds to fight childhood cancer. I'm making my donation in Zellie's memory.

Rest in peace my friend...we will miss you. God bless you.

I read about this horrible news on Matt's (Snowy Owl) Facebook and couldn't help but come back and express my condolences. I only got to meet Zellie a couple times during the 2007 DPP tour, shows at the Troc and Philly and the Meet and Greet at Vintage Vinyl. I always missed talking with her on the board about video games, Ninja Turtles or some other variety of insanity, and although we haven't talked on a regular basis for years, I can't help but feel terrible at never being able to talk to her again. I didn't know her personally as well as some other folks here, but every time we talked was a good one.

A life taken far too young, even though she was only in my life for very brief moments at a time, the world is far worse off without her in it. I too will be making a charitable donation in her name and hope my small efforts will help keep another person who is so full of life from being taken away by Cancer. RIP Zellie, you will be missed more than you would ever know.

Indeed, it sucks that a tragedy like this has brought back some of the old-time OSAers, but then again, it is usually things like this that bring people together and remind us all to appreciate one another.

with all the assholes in this world who live to a ripe old age, all the boring, unimaginative, petty people... why her?

It's like I said to Tramz, it seems that this awful disease only claims our best and brightest, and if we could figure out why, maybe we'd find a cure someday. :(

We will see what might be appropriate once things aren't quite so emotional.
I think a section on OSA would be a fitting tribute.... Walking in the Air v2.

Thanks guys. She will have her own section, there will be no 2.0 or anything like that. Most likely I will call it "Spilled Cup of Oceansoul", as that is what she called herself on this forum and it is so uniquely her.

I am going to put up a post at the OSA site about Zellie's passing. I found a picture of her at this very forum, so I can finish putting it up. I want as many people to know and to buy her book and keep her legacy alive.

As you know, I hate double-posting but seeing as how this thread needs a bit of a silver lining, I am willing to go against my self-imposed rule. ;)

I just got a message today from our friends at The Escapist, the Tuomas Holopainen fanpage. They are going to put a link up on their site to the news about Zellie as well as a link to buy her book. Zellie's legacy is spanning outside the boundaries of OSA and is reaching our Nightwish bretheren overseas. While it can never erase the ache in our hearts, it does ease the pain just a little bit to know that Zellie's spirit is continuing to live on and as always, whenever OSA has needed outside help, our friends have always come to our aid and done whatever they can to help us in any way.

And yes, I fixed the typo in the news section about Zellie's book, the correct title is on there now. A most unorthodox error on my part, as I am usually so thorough in my research. ;)

As you know, I hate double-posting but seeing as how this thread needs a bit of a silver lining, I am willing to go against my self-imposed rule. ;)

I just got a message today from our friends at The Escapist, the Tuomas Holopainen fanpage. They are going to put a link up on their site to the news about Zellie as well as a link to buy her book. Zellie's legacy is spanning outside the boundaries of OSA and is reaching our Nightwish bretheren overseas. While it can never erase the ache in our hearts, it does ease the pain just a little bit to know that Zellie's spirit is continuing to live on and as always, whenever OSA has needed outside help, our friends have always come to our aid and done whatever they can to help us in any way.

And yes, I fixed the typo in the news section about Zellie's book, the correct title is on there now. A most unorthodox error on my part, as I am usually so thorough in my research. ;)

It's been great to see everyone rallying around this. She was too special a person to just be forgotten.. ever. Everything everyone has been doing really makes a difference to make sure she never completely disappears from this life.

Absolutely. For all the negative things that many can say about Nightwish fans, one thing that continues to amaze me are the devotion of fans not only towards the band, but towards each other. I think it's just great that people who never got to know her in life, still feel enough for her story and her importance to the OSA, that they would reach out to us and help us keep her cause alive and make sure that she lives on through all of us.

I just found out about this tonight. She was so damn young for this to happen to her. My deepest condolences. It is a sad month for OSA.

Here I am, double-posting again, but obviously I would not were it not for a reason.

Well, our first year without Zellie is soon approaching, and I feel that the time has now come to start work on the tribute page. Actually, Tramz and I have both been working on it in small ways pretty much the entire time, but now it is time to make a public "announcement" that I'm working on putting the page together now and plan to unveil it on the OSA site on September 5th, the one-year mark since our beloved Zellie was taken from us.

So now I ask of all of you, those who have been lurking on the forum over the past year, or anyone who comes in from time to time but may not post so much anymore...those of you who remember Zellie, the OSA council is reaching out to all of you to help us make this page the fitting tribute to her life that it should be, and to please contribute in any way you can. Even if it is just posting a few kind words or a favorite memory of Zellie, I want this tribute to her to encompass everything that she meant to all of us, and to have as many people participating as possible would make it all the more special and really show what a central figure she was at one time to this small community of people.

To contribute something to the page, you can either PM me here at the forum or you can go to the "Contact OSA" page at the OSA site, which will direct you to my OSA e-mail address.

Let us never forget Zellie, our dear departed Oceansoul, and make this page the best it can be!