What´s the most overated Opeth song?

--Black Rose Immortal (kicks plenty of ass, but I suspect a lot of the recognition it gets is due to the length)

--The Moor (again, great track, but many hail it as the greatest, when it's nowhere near their best stuff)

As far as Demon goes, while it does rock very much on its own, I think much of its appeal is gained from album placement....it's really the climax of the MAYH tale, which I think makes it all the more powerful.

While Opeth songs are universally rated very high, I think there are some that are overrated in the context of great songs. Now, on with the careless opinion-throwing.

Demon Of The Fall is a fantastic song, and I think that the band like playing it a lot in live situations. It gains a lot of attention partly due to the aforementioned discographical position, sandwiched between The Amen Corner and Credence, an easily identifiable placeholder of a song when listened to in album order, and the quality of the My Arms, Your Hearse album as a whole. The name worked wonders, in my opinion, to promote itself, with most metal listeners being of the rebellious and thick persuasion.

Black Rose Immortal is again another song that is played up by the overall stature of the album Morningrise, and of the vital statistics of the song, being in the area of twenty minutes long. It's certainly not a bad song, but becomes hard to argue for when pitted against some other Opeth songs.

The Drapery Falls is one of my favorite Opeth songs, and I'll be among the first to admit it's overrated nature. This song is one of the most listenable of Opeth's songs, with it's simple and straightforward nature. It embodies quite a few aspects of Opeth's abilities of the time of Blackwater Park. A lot of the hype for this song is undoubtedly due to the videos that were released by Guitar.com.

A song that I can't understand the hysteria about is The Moor. Sure, it's a good song, among the better. But surely you could argue that Godhead's Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo, Serenity Painted Death or White Cluster deserved just as much hoopla.

For my, up to this point, unique Opeth song harassment, the title track from Deliverance seems to get more attention than it should. It can get a bit trying for me to listen to it. Granted, it's still a great song, especially live.

I'm waiting for the next post, concerning most underrated Opeth songs. :zombie:

I just love the title track from Deliverance. It would appear in my most underrated song list. BRI remains an Opeth "stairway to heaven". Many people love it but I just can not see why it is regarded so highly. Orchid just blows it away for the most part. But as usual on this forum we are splitting hairs.

Bleak. Alot of people hype it up, yet after repeated listens of BWP (which holds some of my favourite tracks) I fail to see how it compares to songs such as 'The Leper Affinity', 'Blackwater Park' and 'The Funeral Portrait'.

The Moor and The Drapery Falls

Both are on the low end of average for an Opeth song. The Moor especially, it's probably the worst song on Still Life.

The Drapery Falls, gahhhh...it's incredibly repetitive. I can't really stand to listen to it unless I fast forward through the first two verses, and then it starts to suck again after the whole "Russian Riff" thing. Bleh, definitely my least favorite Opeth song by far, and everyone seems to think it's one of their best. Advent's up there too...it keeps seeming like it should end, but it keeps starting up again. However, it's not nearly as repetitive as the Drapery Falls and it has some of their greatest moments in it, so it doesn't come close to being as overrated as the Drapery Falls.

SunlapseVertigo said:
:err: "Russian Riff"? No friggin clue what you are talking about.
In the guitar.com video, he refers to the section after that really scary breakdown (the one that repeats, and then really high guitars come in over the top of it for another two times, and then the vocals come in over a really lameo riff that repeats like 9742 times) as the "russian riff." I dunno how to explain it really unless you know music theory, in which case it's the riff that has 3 bars of 5/8 and one of 6/8.

Edit: Duh, it starts at 6:10